Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Laptops

Options
  • 25-01-2021 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

(Mods please move this if you see fit)

My neighbour is a primary school teacher in a disadvantaged area of Dublin. With the COVID lockdown, she has a number of pupils who cannot log on to their lessons because they don't have laptops and can't afford them.

The obvious thinking is if they can't afford them then they can't afford broadband, however the advent of tethering on 48.ie has made this accessible.

I am reaching out here to see if people would donate their discarded laptops, such that I could refurbish them for the school. Ideally nothing over 5 years old and as this is an IT forum, I can leave it up to your discretion as to whether candidate laptops would be suitable or indeed beyond salvation.

Please DM me if you have anything suitable and I can collect in the general Dublin area.

Míle Buíochas díobh go léir
    C

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Touch base with https://camara.org/ they may be able to assist.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Freddio

Thanks for that Ed.

I had heard of them but I got the impression they sent their laptops to charities overseas.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Previously, they're now running radio ads to do exactly what you're trying to do.

Advertisement