Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Automation Noob

Options
  • 23-01-2021 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'd like to jump on the automation bandwagon here and bring the home up into the 21st century a bit. I've looked at some of the options and kinda like the Google Nest Audio as a 'main' unit in the living room, backed up with Google home minis in bedrooms.

In terms of lighting, have I got this right:
    Philips Hue bulbs
    Philips Hue Bridge Unit
    Philips Hue phone app

Set all bulbs up in app, and then sync them through the Google Home app. That'll give the ability to use the app for lighting, as well as voice commands?

Secondly, music. I gather Google is able to differentiate voices and know who's speaking....but say I've a Spotify account, but it's only a regular non family account...can any voice utilise that account in any room, or is a Family Spotify account needed for different people? I assume for simultaneous playback a family account is needed, but for single use by multi people not at the same time, is a standard account sufficient?

Phone calls....can the Nest handle voice calls? Can it differentiate different voices, to make/receive calls through different phones?

Finally, there's a Climote installed on the gas boiler here which I gather isn't supported by Google home. Is there much involved in changing this out for one supported by Google?

Appreciate any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Inviere wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'd like to jump on the automation bandwagon here and bring the home up into the 21st century a bit. I've looked at some of the options and kinda like the Google Nest Audio as a 'main' unit in the living room, backed up with Google home minis in bedrooms.

Philips Hue bulbs
    Philips Hue Bridge Unit
    Philips Hue phone app

Set all bulbs up in app, and then sync them through the Google Home app. That'll give the ability to use the app for lighting, as well as voice commands?

Secondly, music. I gather Google is able to differentiate voices and know who's speaking....but say I've a Spotify account, but it's only a regular non family account...can any voice utilise that account in any room, or is a Family Spotify account needed for different people? I assume for simultaneous playback a family account is needed, but for single use by multi people not at the same time, is a standard account sufficient?

Phone calls....can the Nest handle voice calls? Can it differentiate different voices, to make/receive calls through different phones?

Finally, there's a Climote installed on the gas boiler here which I gather isn't supported by Google home. Is there much involved in changing this out for one supported by Google?

Appreciate any help

Recently got my daughter a mini for her room & we have a Nest hub in the kitchen. We also have a family Spotify account and have Google set up to recognize each member's voice, so it plays music from each person's Spotify account. It was a bit frustrating setting it up, but got there in the end. No kid is gonna mess up my Spotify algorithm :pac:

For lights we have Philips, keep an eye out for sales in Argos and the like or you might even pick up a hub on adverts dirt cheap. Very straight forward linking the lights to Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭Inviere

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Recently got my daughter a mini for her room & we have a Nest hub in the kitchen. We also have a family Spotify account and have Google set up to recognize each member's voice, so it plays music from each person's Spotify account. It was a bit frustrating setting it up, but got there in the end. No kid is gonna mess up my Spotify algorithm :pac:

For lights we have Philips, keep an eye out for sales in Argos and the like or you might even pick up a hub on adverts dirt cheap. Very straight forward linking the lights to Google.

Great thanks for that. Do you know if multiple voices will work for a non family Spotify account? Obviously it won't work for multiple people at the same time, but just in general

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭Conar

Hi all,

Philips Hue bulbs
    Philips Hue Bridge Unit
    Philips Hue phone app

Appreciate any help

Hey, 2 quick points that you might want to consider.
    1st, if you want to save money and potentially buy more locally then LIDL and IKEA have a smart range.

2nd, you could consider smart switches instead of smart bulbs. This is especially worth considering if you have multiple lights or spots in a room.
    Most smart switches need a neutral wire which a lot of Irish houses don't have but if you do it's so easy.
    You can even keep your current switches and pop a Shelly wireless relay behind them to convert them to smart switches. 2 massive benefits to this approach are that light bulbs will die and the more you have the more it will happen, switches are unlikely to go.

The massive thing though is people always go to the switches so every time someone switches off your smart lights at the wall you have to switch them back on again before you can use them. This shouldn't be as irritating as it is but I know from talking to countless people that it's not just me that gets driven mad by this.

Conar wrote: »
    Hey, 2 quick points that you might want to consider.
    1st, if you want to save money and potentially buy more locally then LIDL and IKEA have a smart range.

2nd, you could consider smart switches instead of smart bulbs. This is especially worth considering if you have multiple lights or spots in a room.
    Most smart switches need a neutral wire which a lot of Irish houses don't have but if you do it's so easy.
    You can even keep your current switches and pop a Shelly wireless relay behind them to convert them to smart switches. 2 massive benefits to this approach are that light bulbs will die and the more you have the more it will happen, switches are unlikely to go.

The massive thing though is people always go to the switches so every time someone switches off your smart lights at the wall you have to switch them back on again before you can use them. This shouldn't be as irritating as it is but I know from talking to countless people that it's not just me that gets driven mad by this.

Interesting re the switches, I'd not thought of that. At this stage I'm not sure if we've neutral wiring at the switches so I'll have to check that, but presumably I'd save a chunk by not having to buy smart bulbs (sacrificing colour/temp/dimming though I assume too?)

Are the Lidl and IKEA ranges compatible with Google Home?

Interesting re the switches, I'd not thought of that. At this stage I'm not sure if we've neutral wiring at the switches so I'll have to check that, but presumably I'd save a chunk by not having to buy smart bulbs (sacrificing colour/temp/dimming though I assume too?)

Are the Lidl and IKEA ranges compatible with Google Home?

Yeah, LIDL and IKEA are compatible with Google Home
    https://www.lidl.ie/smart-home
    https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/cat/home-smart-hs001/

Each of them has their own hub (IKEA/Lidl/Hue) and all use various forms of the ZigBee wireless standards. Some stuff is intermixable, for example J have Ikea bulbs on my hue hub.

Yeah, as for the cost saving in switches Vs bulbs, after initially going down the bulb route I'll be slowly switching (unintended pun) to switches for both cost and family ease of use reasons.
    If you don't have neutral they have solutions still.
    https://shelly.cloud/knowledge-base/devices/shelly-1l/

Also, be careful because everything in smart home kit has pros and cons. A major con in smart switches is difficulties dealing with 2 and 3 way switches (multiple switches controlling 1 light, not multi gang) and how to install in those scenarios if they'll even work.

I'm also using Sonoff switches which are cheap and easy to use. Again I have neutrals.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07T4NVKKM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_KpedGbJTTCAJH

You can also make any lamp smart by cutting the power cable and installing a little smart relay.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06WWNBD3Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_mqedGbFFBM2GE

A lot of this stuff can be sourced cheaper than Amazon, just dropping it as an example.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

As a rule of thumb Irish retailers like Argos and Harvey Norman are quite expensive for smart stuff, Amazon is very good especially when there are lightning deals (keep an eye on the home automation bargains thread too) even in a post Brexit world as provided its fulfilled by Amazon the price you pay at the checkout is final- no suprises on delivery.

Super info, thanks folks. Conar, LOVE the relay idea for lamps, I've a few decorative lighting solutions around and it'd be great to have them under Google home.

I'll likely use Amazon/IKEA /Lidl I'd say, again finding closer retailers quite expensive in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Great thanks for that. Do you know if multiple voices will work for a non family Spotify account? Obviously it won't work for multiple people at the same time, but just in general

Yes.

Family account doesn't matter. Multiple accounts work fine, but voice recognition can be temperamental. As soon as my son's voice broke Google couldn't distinguish the difference between us.

Also, if you have Google/Echo on a Sonos One it will only allow one account. That's perhaps a bit niche though.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭65535

Tesco have bulbs and sockets as well. They work fine

• Advertisement

65535 wrote: »
    Tesco have bulbs and sockets as well. They work fine

What kind of stuff are Tesco selling?

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭65535

'TCP Smart' 3 Pin Sockets

Calex Smart Bulbs

I was hoping to get motion detectors or door open detectors but apparently they don't sell them in IRL

Calex Smart Bulbs

I was hoping to get motion detectors or door open detectors but apparently they don't sell them in IRL

IKEA do motion detectors. I find they're a bit heavy on batteries though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083S7577L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_IukdGbMN7V8YS

I just bought those on Amazon a few days back. Just one for the utility and one for a closet. Might suit your needs?
    No smarts involved, just motion detection.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

I've only ever seen Hue in larger stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

Calex Smart Bulbs

They have motion and door open detectors in Clare Hall Tesco - might just be available in their bigger stores. Or perhaps online?

Edit: PS they also have remote controls for their smart bulb range.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Super info, thanks folks. Conar, LOVE the relay idea for lamps, I've a few decorative lighting solutions around and it'd be great to have them under Google home.

I'll likely use Amazon/IKEA /Lidl I'd say, again finding closer retailers quite expensive in comparison.

If you go with IKEA bulbs and the hub, they also have smart sockets for €10 each. Easier than cutting wires at that price point. Work very well and integrate with GH.

IKEA have also recently added sunrise / sunset to the app (haven't tried it though as I've homeassistant looking after that) but you can use that for triggering lights (and I'd guess sockets) when it gets dark.

Advertisement