Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom.net spam emails

Options
  • 06-01-2021 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Not sure if this is the right place but as of today I've been receiving hundreds of spam emails.
    All titled Undeliverable mail: Re: Incoming Foreign Transfer Payment
    or failure notice
    And all from Mailer-Daemon, mail delivery system or post master. and all seem to be .ru addresses.

Any ideas?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

jamesbil wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Not sure if this is the right place but as of today I've been receiving hundreds of spam emails.
    or failure notice
    And all from Mailer-Daemon, mail delivery system or post master. and all seem to be .ru addresses.

Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Stop using eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭jamesbil

Yeah, I'm just paying for it till I'm sure all my accounts/subscriptions etc have been changed to the new address.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

jamesbil wrote: »
    Hi all,
    or failure notice

Any ideas?
    Thanks

Do you have an email filter? No harm getting one, if you're working remotely now you company might even sponsor it, or if you're working for yourself you might be about to write it off as an expense if you're a company director, your accountant will know.

I signed up for Kaspersky a while back for the family, Spoof emails are getting too realistic for my liking to the point where the spammers aren't' far off being able to launch an algorithm that sees what you had for breakfast and include it to make an email seem more authentic - though for me it would lead to suspicion as I could have Filet Mignon and my wife wouldn't notice :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TitanHQ

James,

If the mails you are receiving are all bounce mails/Undeliverable notifications, then it's possible you are receiving what is known as "Backscatter".

This happens when someone uses your email address for a spam campaign, and any emails that are not delivered and generate a bounce mail end up being sent to you rather than the original sender because your email address is being used.

Spoofing/faking an email address on an email is ridiculously easy to do. It's one of the biggest issues affecting email at the moment. The best methods to combat spoofing are SPF, DKIM and DMARC. Eircom is using these technologies, but has implemented them in such a way that they offer little to no protection (will take too long to explain why in details here. To summarise their SPF record is set to SoftFail and their DMARC record has a "p=none" policy).

There's very little you can do beyond trying to filter these mails out, reporting the issue to Eircom support and ensuring that your account is secure (change password, enable 2FA if supported, etc). If you contact support try and provide them with a copy of the headers and body of one of the mails as that may include useful information for tracking the source.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Would definitely echo the poster above and make sure you report it
    You don't want them to flag you as the bad actor and close your account as a result

• Advertisement
Advertisement