Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview in Clonsilla, Dublin 15

Options
  • 28-12-2020 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭

I've recently bought a new television, a Sony XH9505 (link) I'm guessing that it should be able to tune in Saorview without an external box? My house is a new build so that means we have coax cables going from the sitting room to the utility and coax cables coming down from the attic eaves to the utility.

My original plan was to use a multimeter to find which coax cable came from where in the utility, stick some F-type connectors onto the coax cables from the attic to the sitting room, connected via the utility junction box and put an aerial in the eaves (our attic is converted). But I'm starting to wonder if our reception in the Clonsilla/Ongar, Dublin 15 area would be strong enough that I could get away with an internal receiver in the utility? I'm guessing not?

I'll probably need to install something like this in my attic eaves: One For All SV9354 Amplified Outdoor Yagi Aerial?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭decor58

I've recently bought a new television, a Sony XH9505 (link) I'm guessing that it should be able to tune in Saorview without an external box? My house is a new build so that means we have coax cables going from the sitting room to the utility and coax cables coming down from the attic eaves to

My original plan was to use a multimeter to find which coax cable came from where in the utility, stick some F-type connectors onto the coax cables from the attic to the sitting room, connected via the utility junction box and put an aerial in the eaves (our attic is converted). But I'm starting to wonder if our reception in the Clonsilla/Ongar, Dublin 15 area would be strong enough that I could get away with an internal receiver in the utility? I'm guessing not?

I'll probably need to install something like this in my attic eaves: One For All SV9354 Amplified Outdoor Yagi Aerial?

A friend of mine, in Celbridge, has his aerial mounted in the attic, the signal is split unamplified to 3 tv's without a bother. Your attic is converted but to put the aerial in the utility might be too low, solid walls arent great for signal and you might get interference from equipment in the utility, outside or are there storage spaces in the attic you could use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

decor58 wrote: »
    A friend of mine, in Celbridge, has his aerial mounted in the attic, the signal is split unamplified to 3 tv's without a bother. Your attic is converted but to put the aerial in the utility might be too low, solid walls arent great for signal and you might get interference from equipment in the utility, outside or are there storage spaces in the attic you could use.
    Yes; the eaves are probably still big enough to put the aerial, that's where the coax cable leads to ATM. I'll measure tomorrow to make sure and if it looks OK I'll order that aerial and attach the f-type connectors to the coax cables I've traced to the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Here is a thread from 2012 about reception in Dublin 15. There are some other threads which might be helpful as well.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79167234

Have a look around in the morning to see if there are roof aerials on nearby houses. If not it could be your neighbours are using indoor aerials. You could ask, if you know them.

You could try a length of wire in the aerial connection on the TV to see if it produces any signal. Scan the two frequencies from Three Rock (I think that is your local transmitter?). 546 MHz Channel 30, and 570 Mhz Channel 33.

http://www.2rn.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/2RN-DTT-Television-Transmission-Network-Sept-2019-Rev.1.2.pdf

You could try a length of wire in the aerial connection on the TV to see if it produces any signal.
    You mean a coax lead like this one? I didn't realize that might be enough to test out the scanner. I'll give that a shot and see what I get. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I've fitted two saorview aerials in dublin 15 attics, no problem with reception on either. The antenna needs to be aligned, look at neighbours external ones to get an idea on direction. So one side of your attic might be better than the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

You mean a coax lead like this one? I didn't realize that might be enough to test out the scanner. I'll give that a shot and see what I get. Thank you.

Any bit of wire could work if the signal is strong enough. People have been known to use coat hangers. Don't damage the aerial connector on the TV. Maybe you could borrow an indoor aerial from a neighbour to see if it works for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭decor58

Yes; the eaves are probably still big enough to put the aerial, that's where the coax cable leads to ATM. I'll measure tomorrow to make sure and if it looks OK I'll order that aerial and attach the f-type connectors to the coax cables I've traced to the attic.

The aerial in use in Celbridge is this one, €15 in Powercity.
    https://powercity.ie/product/LP20FH

decor58 wrote: »
    The aerial in use in Celbridge is this one, €15 in Powercity.
    https://powercity.ie/product/LP20FH
    That would be perfect. Worth a trip to Blanchardstown powercity. I guess I can try it downstairs attached to the TV first and then crimp all the various coax cables to the attic eaves if I can find anything with an initial scan.

I used the aerial from Powercity, it worked a treat. Pretty amazed how easy it all was. I have the aerial pointing in the general direction of South and it works great. I'm just surprised at the fact that there are so few HD channels (only 2?) I figured that all channels would be HD by now.

Advertisement