Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Metallica stand courageous" ... "Napster settles cases"

Options
  • 15-07-2001 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    ``I think we've resolved this in a way that works for fans, recording artists and songwriters alike,'' Metallica co-founder Lars Ulrich said in a statement announcing the deal which gives the group final say over which song files can be traded over the Napster system.

``Our beef hasn't been with the concept of sharing music,'' Ulrich said. ``The problem we had with Napster was that they never asked us or other artists if we wanted to participate in their business.''
    </font>

(Lots) more from : http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010712/en/music-napster_8.html

Bard
    I've got a plan... and it's as HOT... AS MY PANTS!!!" - Lord Flashheart.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

As far as I remember, Napster's "business plan" consisted of basically getting the general public to rip and encode their own CDs, and share them with others that did the same.

Now, how can that be viable? Napster has no product, and the method in use to provide sharing is so definitely an un-cornering of the "market" given that it's the frickin' internet, they couldn't but lose. Users can go to another service, as the users essentially provide Napster's 'product'. All Napster could do without question was get in legal trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I don't know what the problem is, if the artists are in anyway confident about their ability to make good music then it shouldn't worry them, ppl will download the tracks then go buy the cds.

I mean as a very typical example (and I'm absolutely broke most of the time) the cds I've bought after downloading them first:

Pink Floyd: The Wall, Dark Side Of The Moon, Meddle, Obscured By Clouds, Wish You Were Here, More Soundtrack, Animals
    Jeff Buckley: Grace, Mystery White Boy
    Boards Of Canada: Music Has The Right
    Yo La Tengo: Then Nothing Turned ITself Inside Out
    Orbital: Insides, Middle Of Nowhere
    Bjork: Debut (and consequently 7 other releases)
    Aphex Twin: Classics
    Outkast: Aquemini
    Future Sound Of London: ISDN, Lifeforms
    Sigur Ros: Agaetis Brjun (cant spell it heh)

Thats just off the top of my head and is what 26 albums (over a year stretch) as a direct result of downloading them? Radio play makes up about 5 of the albums I have. Plus the fact that several of my friends have gone out and bought the above as well from me doing so... if the music is there to be listened then its gonna be bought (if its good).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

Business plan consisting of getting the public to rip their cds and encode them? How could napster profit from this?

Napster profitted from advertising revenue from their website.. This is their market.. their product wasn't as much the Napster Client, as it was the advertising space on their website. What made this advertising space profitable was the popularity which the Napster Client enjoyed.

I'd also just like to say that I hate it when people talk about "sharing music" and "free speach" in regard to Napster.. plain and simple - it's *piracy* .. people should stop cloaking it with these cliches; calling it something it's not.

It's piracy and those who use(d) it should face that fact.

-kopf

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Red Moose:
    As far as I remember, Napster's "business plan" consisted of basically getting the general public to rip and encode their own CDs, and share them with others that did the same.

Now, how can that be viable? Napster has no product, and the method in use to provide sharing is so definitely an un-cornering of the "market" given that it's the frickin' internet, they couldn't but lose. Users can go to another service, as the users essentially provide Napster's 'product'. All Napster could do without question was get in legal trouble.
    </font>

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

napster is dead anyway,
    everyone is finding new programs.
    morpheus is good,getting music off the net is no fun if ya have to pay for it,i'd prefer to have a cd which i can hold n look at then.so it'll never work.
    toodles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Son of sam

do any of you guys have aimster??,get it at aimster.com,just like napster,except you cant listen to the song as yuor downloading it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i just use audiogalaxy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Son of sam:
    do any of you guys have aimster??,get it at aimster.com,just like napster,except you cant listen to the song as yuor downloading it</font>

You can do that with Napster (or BearShare or any other...). Just locate the folder it's downloading into and open the mp3 file in WinAmp (or whatever). mp3 files are raw data and don't need to be completely downloaded to be playable.

I'd recommend BearShare ( www.bearshare.com ) - it uses the Gnutella system.

Bard
    Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭bettyboo

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteWashMan:
    i just use audiogalaxy</font>
    Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.... includes a spyware program in it

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Napster is far from dead, just dont download the latest version. Goto http://www.napigator.com and download napigator for napster, this allows you to connect to a vast number of opennap server. I recommend the Oggvorbis server, it seems to have decent speeds when searching although a little difficult to get onto at times, just keep retrying, but not too quickly because it ****s up after a while.

So there,

Slaanesh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

Are Metallica really that stupid? There's no-one on napster anymore and only dedicated fans care about "not" downloading Metallica songs from various other locations on the interp0rn. biggrin.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

pfff
    just so all you met heads know James Hetfield is under going treatment for alcohol and other substance abuse

So recording of the new album has stopped.

karma is all I can say

Advertisement