Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

07-12-2019, 23:49   #1
murfilein

electric or gas cooker?

we are having our kitchen done and the question came up if we should have our cooker replaced.

how we are only 2 month in our home and received our first bill.

50 euro for electricity, 140 for gas (heating)

would a gas cooker have a big influence on the bill? obviously the heating is running quite a lot these days since it's the cold season, but i can't estimate how much gas bills will be during warmer seasons.

we cook a lot, and we would actually prefer a gas cooker. but a electric one wouldn't be tragic either. it's just that a gas one would be nicer, but only if it's not a big increase in the bill.

do these things use a lot? the cooker would be used every day in our home.
Advertisement
07-12-2019, 23:51   #2
blindside88

I would opt for a mixture in an ideal world. Gas hob and electric oven. Gas ovens are very poor in comparison to electric fan ovens IMO. Running costs wouldn’t vary massively either way
08-12-2019, 00:00   #3
Seamai

An Induction hob is the way to go, it's got the immediacy of gas without any of the safety issues, it's also very easy to keep clean as spillages don't cook on to it like conventional hob. You may need to get new saucepans (they need a steel base) but it's worth it.

Last edited by Seamai; 08-12-2019 at 11:58.
08-12-2019, 00:12   #4
antix80

Gas shouldn't cost more. If you're used to gas stick with it.
Read reviews when choosing ovens. Gas ovens are considered poor at distributing heat (bad for baking cakes) but the comparison may be with electric fan ovens.
As for hob.. I'm not on the gas mains so i went with induction. Induction hobs are pricey but heat up instantly like gas. I went for the type with slider controls rather than fiddly plus and minus buttons. If i had the choice I'd possibly have gone with gas again, but induction is a good compromise and easy to clean.
08-12-2019, 00:39   #5
L1011

I would have trouble identifying the contribution of my gas hob to my bills - summer bills are about 8 quid of gas a month (+standing charge) and that's mostly hot water - but I do have a nearly brand new integral insulated water tank which helps.

Induction is as good as gas for nearly everything except wok cooking; which alone means I could never use it. Induction is not just bad for wok cooking - its actually unusable. Wok is going to be in the air a lot of the time and unheated as a result. But I use an electric oven, as gas ovens are awful.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-12-2019, 08:21   #6
jlm29

We’re not on the gas mains, but we have a gas hob and use bottled gas. A (large) bottle of gas lasts us over a year, I can’t imagine it would Have a huge impact on your bills.
Thanks from:
08-12-2019, 11:25   #7
EmptyTree

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindside88 View Post
I would opt for a mixture in an ideal world. Gas hob and electric oven. Gas ovens are very poor in comparison to electric fan ovens IMO. Running costs wouldn’t vary massively either way
This. For me it's gas hob (all the way) and electric oven. I like the immediacy of gas when cooking on the hob.

Plus, in the event of a power cut you can at least still cook or boil water for a tea. (yes, I know you could go for years without a power cut, but it is a handy benefit of a gas hob)
(2) thanks from:
08-12-2019, 11:42   #8
Mad_maxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfilein View Post
we are having our kitchen done and the question came up if we should have our cooker replaced.

how we are only 2 month in our home and received our first bill.

50 euro for electricity, 140 for gas (heating)

would a gas cooker have a big influence on the bill? obviously the heating is running quite a lot these days since it's the cold season, but i can't estimate how much gas bills will be during warmer seasons.

we cook a lot, and we would actually prefer a gas cooker. but a electric one wouldn't be tragic either. it's just that a gas one would be nicer, but only if it's not a big increase in the bill.

do these things use a lot? the cooker would be used every day in our home.
Gas is way cheaper but a quality gas cooker is way more expensive and you must get a registered gas plumber to fit it, upfront costs are double electric
08-12-2019, 11:46   #9
Samuel T. Cogley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamai View Post
An Induction hob is the way to go, it's got the immediacy of gas without any of the safety issues, it's also very easy to keep clean as spillages don't cook on to it likes conventional hob. You may need to get new saucepans (they need a steel base) but it's worth it.

This! I miss my completely flat (no knobs or anything) induction hob. Quick wipe job done.
Advertisement
08-12-2019, 12:01   #10
katiek102010

Gas won't cost much more. I currently have a full gas lpg cooker. I cook and bake a lot and oven itself is used 2 - 3 time daily. Small gas bottle last 6/7 weeks at 30E.

However the gas oven is a pain in the arse. Temp is not 100% accurate.

I would go elec oven and gas hob all the way
08-12-2019, 12:05   #11
Hoboo

If you love cooking, then gas hands down. Especially if you use a wok.
Thanks from:
08-12-2019, 12:07   #12
davedonie

I got electric for the first time and I like how the pots dont get all burned at the bottom. I got a frying pan that's blue ceramic 2 years ago and it looks as new as they day I bought it. With gas it would have been black on the underside in a week.
Also now I notice the smell of gas when I'm in somebody's kitchen who has a gas hob. I must have been nose blind to it when I had one.
08-12-2019, 12:10   #13
fineso.mom

A gas hob and electric oven. I use the hob daily and a 30e gas drum lasts approx 5 months.
Just on the above... Your pots shouldnt go black underneath unless there's a problem with the flow/burn.

Last edited by fineso.mom; 08-12-2019 at 12:13.
08-12-2019, 12:15   #14
Seamai

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
I would have trouble identifying the contribution of my gas hob to my bills - summer bills are about 8 quid of gas a month (+standing charge) and that's mostly hot water - but I do have a nearly brand new integral insulated water tank which helps.

Induction is as good as gas for nearly everything except wok cooking; which alone means I could never use it. Induction is not just bad for wok cooking - its actually unusable. Wok is going to be in the air a lot of the time and unheated as a result. But I use an electric oven, as gas ovens are awful.
I find it works fine with a wok, have an old black steel one which was one of the few utensils that did work when I switched over, I't gets as hot as I want it. I suppose I don't go flipping it around but I'm constantly moving the food around with a spatula.
08-12-2019, 12:21   #15
Seamai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel T. Cogley View Post
This! I miss my completely flat (no knobs or anything) induction hob. Quick wipe job done.
Ours is 6 years old and gets a lot of use and still looks new, I'd rarely even have to use the special hob cleaner. It's also more economical to run.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion