Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-06-2019, 21:26   #1
Zero-Cool
Wanted Level

NBA Live 20 / NBA 2K20

Game reviewer at metro.co.uk posted an NDA to Reddit today. Said he obviously can't say anything but 2k20 news will be out Monday.

No Live 20 announcement yet but apparently players were getting scanned for it a few months back. It's mad that both games which usually have a September release date can go so long without even an announcement.

So, any basketball fans, will you be flocking to 2K or boycotting it like so many say they will and give Live a go this year, will you get both?

What are you hoping for from either?

P.S. **** 2K and their greedy ****ing ways. When EA is your rival and call you out on your MTX (they promised to never have mtx in their career mode), then you know you are doing something bad.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
29-06-2019, 17:06   #2
marcbrophy

In fairness, both companies are utter wankers when it comes to MTX and pre sale monetisation tactics
I will end up getting the EA game for "free" with EA Access sooner or later!
I don't know if I can even give the 2K game the benefit of the doubt any more.
Luckily for me, people will defo buy it and let us know what it's like here
30-06-2019, 22:40   #3
Zero-Cool
Wanted Level

2k20 cover coming tomorrow but looks like it was leaked.

https://twitter.com/pgcraiig/status/...352753152?s=19
Thanks from:
01-07-2019, 13:39   #4
Zero-Cool
Wanted Level

Cover above was confirmed as real with a little clip showing WNBA is in it now. EA forcing 2K's hand by adding Women.

https://streamable.com/g57tc

Anyway, here's the edition info below, those Clothing Capsules sound an awful lot like 'surprise mechanics'.

NBA 2K20 will be available worldwide on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and Windows PC platforms on September 6, 2019. NBA 2K20 will also be available on Google Stadia when it launches later this year.
====================
The NBA 2K20 Standard Edition will be available in physical and digital formats for $59.99; players who pre-order will receive at launch:
5,000 Virtual Currency;
5,000 MyTEAM Points;
5 MyCAREER Skill Boosts;
MyPLAYER Clothing Capsule;
10 MyTEAM League packs (delivered one per week);
5 Heat Check packs (delivered one per week beginning at the start of the NBA season).

==============================================
The NBA 2K20 Digital Deluxe Edition will be available in digital format only for $79.99 and will include:
35,000 Virtual Currency;
10,000 MyTEAM Points;
10 MyCAREER Skill Boosts;
10 MyTEAM League Packs (delivered one per week);
10 MyTEAM Heat Check Packs (delivered one per week beginning at the start of the NBA season);
1 Sapphire MyTEAM Cover Athlete Card.

==============================================
The NBA 2K20 Legend Edition will be available in physical and digital format for $99.99 and will feature custom cover art and exclusive in-game items, including:
100,000 Virtual Currency;
50,000 MyTEAM Points;
20 MyCAREER Skill Boosts;
MyPLAYER Apparel Collection;
MyPLAYER Shoe Collection;
20 MyTEAM League Packs (delivered one per week);
20 MyTEAM Heat Check Packs (delivered one per week beginning at the start of the NBA season);
5 MyTEAM Theme Packs (one per theme release across the next five releases);
2 Sapphire MyTEAM Cover Athlete Cards.
01-07-2019, 14:01   #5
K.O.Kiki

They're probably adding the WNBA so those women can finally get a little revenue.
Or because they've run out of things to add to a bball game.

Will be avoiding it anyway as sports videogames aren't my thing.
The predatory microtransactions on top make it even easier to avoid.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
01-07-2019, 15:35   #6
Sabre0001

Why are people boycotting it?

Watched some of the finals this year after not watching any basketball for years. FINALLY, my old NBA Live tactics of shooting 3s from everywhere will pay off
Thanks from:
01-07-2019, 15:44   #7
Zero-Cool
Wanted Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre0001 View Post
Why are people boycotting it?

Watched some of the finals this year after not watching any basketball for years. FINALLY, my old NBA Live tactics of shooting 3s from everywhere will pay off
People say they boycott 2k every year but end up buying it anyway. Basically their microtransaction format (gives you a really bad starting player, puts you into an online world and the chance to pay cash for VC to increase your stats, buy better moves, boosts and clothes. People buy VC at launch (have a look at the 2k reddit and how posters think they are beating the system by just buying the regular edition and 60 bucks worth of VC to get more vc than the legend edition), and as there is no match making, you get out against guys way higher level than you. You either don't play online or 'pay to win'. Even if you stay offline, your player is **** and if you drop 60 euro on VC, you will instantly have a much better time playing the game.

It's basically a mobile pay to win game but costs 70 quid that makes EA look like a charity.

Also, i hate the modern NBA of throwing up 3's from half court. Give me the 90's where a 3 was celebrated as a tough shot and most of the game was physical in the paint.
(2) thanks from:
01-07-2019, 18:23   #8
K.O.Kiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero-Cool View Post
Also, i hate the modern NBA of throwing up 3's from half court. Give me the 90's where a 3 was celebrated as a tough shot and most of the game was physical in the paint.
It's very easy maths though.

40% from 3 = 60% from inside

But it's easier to hit 40% than 60%, especially with defense on you.
02-07-2019, 14:40   #9
Potential-Monke

Having tried to play 2K19 over the weekend, if the new game has the same set up I won't be going near it. I thought, I'll be grand, a few games in and I'll have the swing of it and work towards making him better. End of the Prelude I've gone from 67 to 68 OVR, and I can't do a thing in the NBA then. Defenders are stuck to me like glue, my character can't do any dribble moves that are effective, the sprint seems to have been reduced to 30 seconds max over the total of the game. The play-calling doesn't really exist so I've no idea what to do half the time (I have everything enabled, it wrarely works and always tells me to press [] every time I get the ball, which makes me shoot and completely miss).

Overall, in comparison to 2K16, it's just not enjoyable. I've the difficulty at Pro (the lowest for MyCareer) and I'm getting my ass handed to me. You weren't wrong about the amount of time it would take to level up, judging by how long it's taking to even get a chance at a shot. I've an SF build with Driving and Finishing as 1st and Defending as 2nd. I can't drive. I can't finish. I can't shoot anywhere outside of the Key, and even in there unless it's a perfect shot it's not going in. The game is just about playable but far from unenjoyable. If they do the same again, I won't touch it.

Hopefully with EA Access coming to PS4 I'll be able to try Live 19 and see if it's gotten any better since 17.
Advertisement
02-07-2019, 15:20   #10
Zero-Cool
Wanted Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential-Monke View Post
Having tried to play 2K19 over the weekend, if the new game has the same set up I won't be going near it.
Ah crap sorry man, feel bad for recommending it now. I made a PG with Driving & Finishing and Passing and dribbling archetypes. I then got a good bit of vc from 2ktv episodes looking up the answers online and won some spinning the lotto wheel thing so got to 70 fairly quick. I was able to pull off dribble moves and make nice drives while actually finishing the layups and even though I put very little into 3's, I nailed a lot of open 3's so I definitely got enjoyment out of it. I think I was playing on Pro as well.

I've been playing Live the last few nights and having a lot of fun. I finish each session happy with my games and progress. I just wish it had a higher polish and more in depth modes. I don't play the nba season in it, just the street world tour and the Court Battle mode which is class. I've been playing the live events recently which used to be Co-op only where you would take on AI for great rewards but was so hard to win playing with gloryholes, putting up awful shots and feeling like they have to hit the game winner. Lost soooo many games because of that. They now have Solo events, unlocked some class animations, dribble moves, clothes and huge xp to level up my player. I really recommend Live 19 if you can get it really cheap to try it or wait for EA Access which I believe has it and there should be a trial for that also.

The annoying thing about 2k, it has the makings of being a great game presented right in front of you but has a very visible pay wall stopping you from properly enjoying it. Can't see that changing tbh.
02-07-2019, 15:51   #11
Potential-Monke

Don't feel bad at all, if I didn't want to buy it I wouldn't have! Just didn't expect such as massive change from 16, which was a joy to play. Even Ernie looks worse than 16, and the conversation between the 3 of them feels old and like there was no effort by them.

But I can see that the career side of things doesn't really bring the crowds, and the main staples of the games are not for me. Just a shame they ruined it. I personally think they should get rid of tying your Career to your MyPark/other mode characters. Have them separate so I can actually enjoy playing career!

Anyway, rant over. I'll get Access when it comes out and try out Live 19 then. EA are the better in this NBA mtx war, which is something I never thought I'd say.
Thanks from:
31-07-2019, 08:25   #12
Zero-Cool
Wanted Level

Nba Live 20 delayed into Oct-Dec. EA said they are trying a new approach and will have more to share this quarter (july-Sept). Very interesting as they aren't competing with 2k (even though i was planning on getting live on launch). I wonder what the new approach is. Lots of mocap footage going around so they're definitely working on something.
(2) thanks from:
17-08-2019, 23:03   #13
Zero-Cool
Wanted Level

2K20 demo (not prelude like other years) out on Wednesday. Community Day during the week where YouTubers went hands on. Very positive feedback but NDA is in effect until Wednesday when people will find out for themselves anyway. My Player seems to be way more customisable where you can pick the exact attributes you want but also your badges and takeover mode so instead of favoured archetypes like previous years, there should be more variety of builds.

The demo will allow you to bulk up your build to full rank for free so you can see what it will look like and make changes (attributes, badges, etc) as needed. As VC is so precious, this will prevent people grinding/buying vc just to end up with a build they don't like and start again.

If Live wasn't delayed, i wouldn't even entertain this but will be keeping an eye on it. Will definitely check out the demo.

19-08-2019, 19:01   #14
Zero-Cool
Wanted Level

2K20 career trailer. Idris Elba is your coach, Rosario Dawson is mother maybe?? Tom Middletich from silicon valley is your agent. Looks to be very drama heavy when the majority of people online wanted it back to basics. Looks interesting but obviously sceptical.

Last edited by Zero-Cool; 19-08-2019 at 20:24.
20-08-2019, 20:18   #15
Potential-Monke

Well at least the character models look like they were made in the last couple of years. Starting to look realistic now. I'll wait to see what way they have the VC implemented, because if it's anything like 19 I will be steering clear.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion