Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-11-2017, 17:00   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas White Suspect View Post
Certainly wasn't expecting that opener
It's the closest thing to Passengers since......Passengers
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-11-2017, 17:15   #47

Love Is Bigger Than Anything In It's Way is a tune!

You're The Best Thing About Me is without doubt the most commercial thing on there
27-11-2017, 17:50   #48

What's the riff at the start of the Summer of Love? It sounds sooooo familiar. Or very alike a recent song.
27-11-2017, 18:09   #49
MisterAnarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpatrick81 View Post
What's the riff at the start of the Summer of Love? It sounds sooooo familiar. Or very alike a recent song.
Return of the Stingray ?

Alot of the songs on the album are actually old songs that didn't make previous albums and have been reworked .
Thanks from:
27-11-2017, 18:12   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpatrick81 View Post
Riff reminded me of this

https://youtu.be/ri6Efk1SPJc

No Idea why
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-11-2017, 18:35   #51

Haha ^ yeah actually! But it’s the high pitched guitar, like Drake one dance or chain smokers don’t let me down but more dancey. Arghhhhhh!
27-11-2017, 19:12   #52
innuendo141

Red Flag Day is a favourite so far.
27-11-2017, 20:02   #53
Wooderson

Sane people I respect on this thread saying nice things about the album. Well I never.

Tempted to go on the hunt for it... may wait till Fri.
(2) thanks from:
27-11-2017, 20:20   #54
RolandGoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooderson View Post
Sane people I respect on this thread saying nice things about the album. Well I never.

Tempted to go on the hunt for it... may wait till Fri.
Was just going to say the same thing!
Jeez its refreshing to have some optimism and proper fan talk about this album instead of the usual tirade of gutter slinging!

I'm going to hold out until Friday to listen, I think downloaded music devalues it to a large degree. I love the feeling of walking into my local CD shop picking up the physical thing and checking out the artwork on the way home. The same goes for setlist watching, It seems a lot of people want to know every song they are going to play before they go see the gig to ensure they are playing the ones they like. why ruin the surprise!

Any who, I've heard the released songs so far and It certainly seems the new album will be very diverse. The Blackout was a nice open with some dark Achtung Baby sounds, I'm sure something every U2 would welcome back into the fold. The chorus however is far too poppy and conventional for me to the point of grating. On the plus side I love The Little Things, You're The Best Thing and whilst Get Out Of Your Own Way is very like an updated Beautiful Day it is still a great song on it's own merits and I'm sure will be great live in an arena! American Soul, the less said the better! Lucifer's Hand's and Volcano are far superior incarnations, as for Glastonbury....I hated it the first time I heard it and still very much do! Disappointed U2 would bother pursuing it for 7 years!

I caved and listened to the Youtube preview clips from Songs Of Experience.
VVV Excited! Roll on Friday!!!

I have the exact same feeling that an earlier poster put up thinking this tour been Experience based will include more POP and Zooropa tunes!
Here's Hoping!!!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-11-2017, 22:11   #55
weadick

Pity the @u2 forum closed down. I found it to be a great place to discuss stuff like new album releases and most of the time I wouldnt comment, just look at what others had to say. Bit petty from the mods tbh.

Going to do my best now to put off listening to the rest of the album until the physical release.
27-11-2017, 22:48   #56
PTH2009

8/10 very good album

what the set list for the tour will be like is another question
28-11-2017, 02:14   #57
MisterAnarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas White Suspect View Post
Love Is Bigger Than Anything In It's Way is a tune!

You're The Best Thing About Me is without doubt the most commercial thing on there
Best song on the album for me ,I can see it being the final song of the upcoming tour.
Thanks from:
28-11-2017, 07:23   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTH2009 View Post
8/10 very good album

what the set list for the tour will be like is another question

Blackout, Little Things, Get Out Of Your Own Way, Love Is Bigger Than Anything In It's Way and the album opener could very well be a gig opener, in the way People Have The Power was
28-11-2017, 09:45   #59
innuendo141

I wasn't posting at the time, but what were early opinions of SOI prior to/at the time of release?
28-11-2017, 10:01   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by innuendo141 View Post
I wasn't posting at the time, but what were early opinions of SOI prior to/at the time of release?
Wasn't on here either but, I don't remember many negative reviews in general. Nothing like NLOTH.
Think most of the "negativity" came from the iTunes thing, which I really don't understand.

I'll take free music from anyone

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion