Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-12-2019, 14:31   #16
antix80

You can buy a wok-style pan for induction.. Not quite the same thing i know
Advertisement
08-12-2019, 14:36   #17
nox001

What are people doing with woks that they need to lift them? I use one all the time and it only gets lifted up when finished, food it’s just stirred with a plastic/wooden utensil while cooking?
Thanks from:
08-12-2019, 15:28   #18
L1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamai View Post
I find it works fine with a wok, have an old black steel one which was one of the few utensils that did work when I switched over, I't gets as hot as I want it. I suppose I don't go flipping it around but I'm constantly moving the food around with a spatula.
That's the way you use a wok - and it isn't the way most people do.

If you're just stirring food around in a wok you may as well be using a frying pan. You're actually just sauteeing the food in the first place then.

Induction does not heat something that isn't in almost direct contact with it. The sides of the wok will never get any heat at all (which they need if you're using it as more than a funny shaped frying pan) unless on gas; and you'll be taking the wok off direct contact very frequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nox001 View Post
What are people doing with woks that they need to lift them?
Cooking with a wok.

Go watch a video of someone actually using a wok as a wok, not a frying pan.

Last edited by L1011; 08-12-2019 at 15:31.
(2) thanks from:
08-12-2019, 15:41   #19
LirW

Induction. I grew up with a gas cooker but I'm not too keen on the gas smell when something simmers for a while and I'm not arsed cleaning gas daily.
It's incredibly efficient.

To contribute to the wok problematic: I went through a few woks, some didn't work as well as others on induction. I'm currently using a Salter carbon steel, it has a good size, is light enough to be lifted and holds heat well enough. It's the best I've tried for induction so far. It's not 100% what I want and I cook a lot of Asian food, so I'm seriously considering buying a single wok gas burner.
08-12-2019, 15:44   #20
0lddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfilein View Post
..... we are only 2 month in our home and received our first bill.

50 euro for electricity, 140 for gas (heating).......
OP, does the €50 electricity bill include the fixed costs associated with the supply ( i.e. standing charge, PSO levy and VAT on same ) ?

If so then you used very very little electricity.

I guess some of it was used by lights, computer, alarm etc.

Your cooker didnt use it all
Advertisement
08-12-2019, 15:49   #21
newbie2

I've recently moved from Electric oven and induction hob to double electric oven and gas hob. Would never go back to induction. Gas is sooo much easier to control - albeit with a tiny bit of trial & error.
08-12-2019, 15:58   #22
BrokenWingz

We changed from a gas cooker (I wasn’t mad keen on the oven) but the husband insisted on an electric cooktop instead of the combination I wanted. Still miss the gas hob desperately and am so annoyed with myself for giving in to him. My mum had induction and I disliked it as much as I do the electric.
08-12-2019, 17:16   #23
murfilein

thanks for all the replies guys!

another scenario came up: if we go with electric now can we switch later without issues? as in, we are getting a manufactured stone worktop. are hobs always the same size? not that we get an electric one now, and in future when we get a gas one, it's smaller and won't fit the cutout then...
08-12-2019, 17:17   #24
Seamai

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
That's the way you use a wok - and it isn't the way most people do.

If you're just stirring food around in a wok you may as well be using a frying pan. You're actually just sauteeing the food in the first place then.

Induction does not heat something that isn't in almost direct contact with it. The sides of the wok will never get any heat at all (which they need if you're using it as more than a funny shaped frying pan) unless on gas; and you'll be taking the wok off direct contact very frequently.

Cooking with a wok.

Go watch a video of someone actually using a wok as a wok, not a frying pan.
I hadn't realised that moderation stretched to lecturing posters on their culinary techniques.
I'll PM you the next time I need tips on making toast.
Advertisement
08-12-2019, 17:20   #25
antix80

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfilein View Post
thanks for all the replies guys!

another scenario came up: if we go with electric now can we switch later without issues? as in, we are getting a manufactured stone worktop. are hobs always the same size? not that we get an electric one now, and in future when we get a gas one, it's smaller and won't fit the cutout then...
Run a gas pipe from it to outside if you think you'll need to change later. Open to correction but the footprint (hole in granite) sizes are fairly standard
08-12-2019, 17:22   #26
antix80

Quote:
I hadn't realised that moderation stretched to lecturing posters on their culinary techniques.
Actually the poster is right.. If you cook with a wok to stirfry then gas is essential. If you use a wok to shallow fry then electric is fine.
Thanks from:
08-12-2019, 17:36   #27
Gumbo

I’ve had both. Made the mistake of not plumbing a gas feed to my cooker when renovating. Wish I did now.

I’d have gas over electric any day.
08-12-2019, 17:53   #28
Eric Cartman

The gas hob is superior in every regard but an electric fan oven would be the way to go for that.
08-12-2019, 18:17   #29
L1011

Quote:
I'm posting as a poster. Moderation is in bold.
08-12-2019, 19:04   #30
Seamai

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
I'm posting as a poster. Moderation is in bold.
My apologies, might I suggest you practice a less preachy tone when not moderating, I've been cooking since I was a kid, (I'm now in my 50's) and at the risk of sounding arrogant a pretty pretty accomplish cook, I've never found an electric or hob a hindrance to achieving the desired result for pretty decent asian cooking, if it's authenticity you're after do you use a cleaver for doing all your cutting and chopping when preparing food for your wok? We may not be able to replicate everything that happens in a Chinese kitchen, so what do we do? We improvovise!. Stop being so precious.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion