Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cleaning Tarmac

• 19-05-2019 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any tips or advice for cleaning tarmac?
    I'm in middle of buying a house and its been left empty for about 2 years...the garden is a mess and needs completely ripped out and start again.
    The driveway has a load of weeds/grass growing on it....any tips?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Power-washer and time.

Growing on it, or up through it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Washing crystals,Lux, or salt for removal of weeds etc., spread over copiously. Be very careful if using a power washer, or else have it on a fairly low pressure as its more likely to start lifting the tar altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

JayZeus wrote: »
    Growing on it, or up through it?

On it as far as I can see

A pressure washer used with care will get it done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

A good big drum of *** will do the job 😂

A good big drum of *** will do the job ��

Do NOT put *** on a tarmac driveway.

That is absolutely STUPID advice. It will dissolve the driveway.

JayZeus wrote: »
    Do NOT put *** on a tarmac driveway.

That is absolutely STUPID advice. It will dissolve the driveway.

Not at all it'll clean it right up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Not at all it'll clean it right up

I've had to retarmac drives that have had *** spilled on them.

I was just messing, my bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I was just messing, my bad

Yeah well it's not funny. Stupid comments like this people will take literally. And you've then just polluted someone's well water supply

listermint wrote: »
    Yeah well it's not funny. Stupid comments like this people will take literally. And you've then just polluted someone's well water supply

Because we all use wells nowadays of course, the comely maidens draw water from them when they aren't dancing at the crossroads.
    Thanks for setting me straight, you're a credit to our association.

Because we all use wells nowadays of course, the comely maidens draw water from them when they aren't dancing at the crossroads.

You should consider that your kind of messing could potentially cost someone thousands to repair the damage they’d do to a driveway, let alone the impact of run-off on a nearby well.

A shame someone has to set you straight yet you still act like a fool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

Many houses have wells and use an electric pump to feed the house. Not that unusual at all. I’ve one in a pump house beside my driveway....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

lads how do you spread the washing powder?? colander??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭Odelay

I’d used salt, it will kills the weeds and moss, less harmful to the environment too. A 20kg bag of salt is about €8 from a builders suppliers. Make sure it’s fine salt not deicing salt.

Try it on a small bit and see how it goes. Worked fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭mr_cochise

Odelay wrote:
    I’d used salt, it will kills the weeds and moss, less harmful to the environment too. A 20kg bag of salt is about €8 from a builders suppliers. Make sure it’s fine salt not deicing salt.

You could combine the salt with some vinegar to make a homemade weedkiller. Add in a few squirts of washing up liquid to help it stick.

tinner777 wrote: »
    lads how do you spread the washing powder?? colander??

Buy some boxes in Aldi or Lidl and just spread it all over the garden. If ye can get a weather window of about 24 hours ithout rain it'll be perfect. I suppose you could use a colander, I just dish out hapes of the stuff and ye should get the year out of it. Same with the salt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Buy some boxes in Aldi or Lidl and just spread it all over the garden. If ye can get a weather window of about 24 hours ithout rain it'll be perfect. I suppose you could use a colander, I just dish out hapes of the stuff and ye should get the year out of it. Same with the salt.

what do you wash it off after the day??

tinner777 wrote: »
    what do you wash it off after the day??

Wash it off with water, or I normally just wait for the rain. Never too far away.

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote: »

Over the garden? Or tarmac?

The house actually does have a well....as does a couple of houses downhill from it, water table is quite high too.....but I'm not silly enough to use ***. Looks like salt is the best option

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

keepalive213 banned from the DIY forum for one week. All references to his miracle cleaning product have been removed, just in case someone gets a skewed Google result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

368100 wrote: »
    The house actually does have a well....as does a couple of houses downhill from it, water table is quite high too.....but I'm not silly enough to use ***. Looks like salt is the best option

I use Lidl powder once every year or 2 , with a broadcast spreader and wait for rain

Advertisement