Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dwarf wall for Greenhouse

Options
  • 16-05-2019 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

hi all,

I'm looking to build a dwarf wall (about 2 to 3 ft above ground) on which will sit a greenhouse (about 15ftx10ft) with a wooden frame.

Question is how deep do i need to go for the foundation? Location is county Clare so was thinking 18inches - would this be sufficient?

thanks for your help.
    Colum.

Comments

I cant help but I'd like to know where you bought the green house?
    Hoping to build one too before the end of the summer but not much options out there for the dwarf wall (without blowing the budget completely!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

codea wrote: »
    hi all,

I'm looking to build a dwarf wall (about 2 to 3 ft above ground) on which will sit a greenhouse (about 15ftx10ft) with a wooden frame.

Question is how deep do i need to go for the foundation? Location is county Clare so was thinking 18inches - would this be sufficient?

thanks for your help.
    Colum.

Are you building on peat? 18 inches is overkill if you are not. 10-12 would be more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 codea

Are you building on peat? 18 inches is overkill if you are not. 10-12 would be more than enough.

No the ground is actually quite rocky so the less i have to go down the better - was thinking 18 inches due to frost considerations???

I cant help but I'd like to know where you bought the green house?
    Hoping to build one too before the end of the summer but not much options out there for the dwarf wall (without blowing the budget completely!)

sorry, i'm going to build it myself out of wood...

codea wrote: »
    sorry, i'm going to build it myself out of wood...

Cool,
    You should document it and post some pictures for us.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I'd go as deep as reasonably sensible because you may want to plant in the greenhouse and don't want to be hitting your foundations if they are too near the surface. You could make the foundations deep and narrow and use some rebar along the length of the base.

If you think about it you aren't just supporting the wooden part of the structure and the weight of the wall you are also anchoring down the wood and glass part of the structure when there are high winds so want a good grip on the ground.

my3cents wrote: »
    I'd go as deep as reasonably sensible because you may want to plant in the greenhouse and don't want to be hitting your foundations if they are too near the surface. You could make the foundations deep and narrow and use some rebar along the length of the base.

If you think about it you aren't just supporting the wooden part of the structure and the weight of the wall you are also anchoring down the wood and glass part of the structure when there are high winds so want a good grip on the ground.

Thanks, will be using raised beds in the greenhouse so should be away from the foundations but will put some rebar in as you suggest just to be safe.

thanks all....

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

I have built similar in the past.
    2' is a great height for a raised bed in terms of ease of working on it and giving a good depth of soil.
    Every couple of years I would swap the soil in the green house with the soil in the raised beds in the garden (my version of crop rotation)

Remember the higher the raised bed the taller your green house will need to be. A 6' tomato plant in a 2' raised bed is 8' and that is your eaves height, the apex will be higher again.

For the inner walls I was able to get concrete flag stones, not those 18" inch things from Woodies, real 2'x3'x2" 1cwt+
    For the foundation of the outer wall I just dug a trench a spade width and a spade deep and half filled with concrete no rebar.
    I've worked on older 2 storey houses with less than 18" foundations.

As my3cents says fastening the greenhouse down is important. use a good wall plate, with dpc, held down with wall straps.
    Then build your greenhouse on top.
    Also fasten the outer walls to the inner walls to stop them being pushed over by the soil or over enthusiastic digging. So you have 3 compartments down each side.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

Hi

I installed one of the below and found it well made, we have an Eden greenhouse ourselves that is nearly 30 years old and still perfect.

https://edengreenhouses.com/

I'll put up a picture later on if you want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

heffo500 wrote: »
    Hi

I installed one of the below and found it well made, we have an Eden greenhouse ourselves that is nearly 30 years old and still perfect.

https://edengreenhouses.com/

I'll put up a picture later on if you want?

We always want pictures :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement