Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of saw do I need?

Options
  • 14-05-2019 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

I make small paintings on plywood or mdf panels. The 2 places in town that sells them only sells big sheets and neither will cut them down as they say they aren't insured for power tools. But they'll usually give me some offcuts which I used to get cut down by a neighbor who had a table saw.

Anyway this neighbor moved so I have no way of cutting the wood down. I've looked up stuff online about how to make straight cuts with a circular saw on the ground using a sheet of insulation board and a straight piece of wood (the factory edge of a piece of timber).

Would that be a feasible way of cutting down offcuts into panels that are about 10 x 12 inch or 10 x 14 in.? Or would I need a table saw?

I've never owned or used either, I've only ever used a mitre box and hand saw for cutting 2x1s to use as a backing/hangiing frame that i glue on once my paintings are completed. I don't have a large shed for storing a table saw and circular saws are cheaper, but a table saw looks like it would be easier to get straight cuts. Suppose I'm asking which would you recommend for a beginner wanting to cut small rectangular panels of 1/2" thick plywood?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,237 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Without due care, both are dangerous tools, so maybe best to look for a new neighbour :)

Dust from mdf is not good.

Where is "in town"?

You might have more traction in the Woodcraft section..
    You will find someone to do it.
    I would not, based on your post, recommend either tool: as an artist you need all ten fingers :D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Find a local carpenter and ask them if they will do it for you or as suggested a hobbyist would help out.

Where are you? If you are anywhere in Co Waterford I could cut a sheet up into standard sizes for you.

If they can't cut them how do the local places end up with off cuts?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'd go opposite you are into wood working as an art form.

You should get a plunge cut saw and learn to use it.

It's easy if your safe.

Don't be relying on people if woodworking is your hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,887 ✭✭✭cletus

I'm with listermint. Find somebody willing to show you have to use a circular saw/plunge saw correctly.

As the saying goes, give a man a fish, feed him for today. Show a man how to fish, and he can make pictures for the rest of his life...or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Buy a cheap track saw.
    Fairly safe and does a great job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

A table saw is the right tool for the job. It may also be an option to buy ready cut pieces in bulk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

my3cents wrote: »
    Find a local carpenter and ask them if they will do it for you or as suggested a hobbyist would help out.

Where are you? If you are anywhere in Co Waterford I could cut a sheet up into standard sizes for you.

If they can't cut them how do the local places end up with off cuts?

I dunno, they dont usually have many but if i were to buy the sheets they said they would only be able to cut the 8 x 4 in half once.

I understand how some are saying to steer clear so i wont cut my hand off but I'm not totally useless at woodwork, I had to make a 7 x 5 foot canvas stetcher with mitred corners and a cross brace in college, its just most of the cuts were made by hand as it wasn't sheets it was planks.

Table saws look pretty straightforward, is it really a tool that would be hard to learn to cut a few rectangles on? Also I know an older fella who has used them before could help me, he has loads of tools but no table saw. He was mates with the neighbor that used to cut them down for me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Circular saw on the ground?

I'd say a circular saw will take a bit of practice to get really good straight cuts, even using a good guide but it's probably the easiest way for you to do it yourself.. but for the love of god learn how to use it properly first, and do some research on how to buy a good one

I make small paintings on plywood or mdf panels. The 2 places in town that sells them only sells big sheets and neither will cut them down as they say they aren't insured for power tools. But they'll usually give me some offcuts which I used to get cut down by a neighbor who had a table saw.

Anyway this neighbor moved so I have no way of cutting the wood down. I've looked up stuff online about how to make straight cuts with a circular saw on the ground using a sheet of insulation board and a straight piece of wood (the factory edge of a piece of timber).

Would that be a feasible way of cutting down offcuts into panels that are about 10 x 12 inch or 10 x 14 in.? Or would I need a table saw?

I've never owned or used either, I've only ever used a mitre box and hand saw for cutting 2x1s to use as a backing/hangiing frame that i glue on once my paintings are completed. I don't have a large shed for storing a table saw and circular saws are cheaper, but a table saw looks like it would be easier to get straight cuts. Suppose I'm asking which would you recommend for a beginner wanting to cut small rectangular panels of 1/2" thick plywood?

If your near Cabra, Goslins do smaller panels and will also cut them for you.

I'd say a circular saw will take a bit of practice to get really good straight cuts, even using a good guide but it's probably the easiest way for you to do it yourself.. but for the love of god learn how to use it properly first, and do some research on how to buy a good one

I could post the link that explains it but anyway, from what some other things I've read it sounds like you're right that a circular saw would need a bit more skill and practice compared to a table saw.

I AM doing research, this is part of me doing research asking this question!

• Advertisement

Out of the box a table saw may not be that great with MDF you usually get a fairly general purpose type of blade that is a bit low on the tooth count to do a really good job on MDF or thinner sheets of plywood.

You see it a lot on YouTube especially for large panels of plywood. The argument for it I believe is that your mainly behind the saw, and you don't have your leg near the blade.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

On the subject of saws, what would the experts recommend for cutting pallet timber? Not so much for firewood, but for diy garden projects etc?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Fann Linn wrote: »
    On the subject of saws, what would the experts recommend for cutting pallet timber? Not so much for firewood, but for diy garden projects etc?
    Thanks.

I find a chainsaw best for cutting pallets

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I could post the link that explains it but anyway, from what some other things I've read it sounds like you're right that a circular saw would need a bit more skill and practice compared to a table saw.

I AM doing research, this is part of me doing research asking this question!

Please don't post it, I don't want to even know about it.

I don't mean to chastise you OP, just make sure you know how dangerous they can be.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Thanks.

Any saw would do it but the most versatile for that would be a jigsaw.
    You can cut curves as well as straight lines.
    Don't buy the cheap ones because they won't have speed control.
    60/70/80 would get a decent DIY grade tool.

As for the OP.
    As you said yourself a tablesaw is what you need.
    Where are you based?

No offence to all the lads offering advice here. But having used circular saws and table saws for years. Table saw is far more dangerous. Especially in the hands of someone starting out. Pinch points are much easier to find when moving the piece and not the saw.

A plunge saw on a track is what he needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

B & Q might cut a board for you. They are used to cutting sheets and lengths of timber to fit into cars and vans for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,237 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Its a pity OP wont give SOME idea where he is based

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    No offence to all the lads offering advice here. But having used circular saws and table saws for years. Table saw is far more dangerous. Especially in the hands of someone starting out. Pinch points are much easier to find when moving the piece and not the saw.

A plunge saw on a track is what he needs.

While I'll thank you for that post when the OP gets down to smaller sizes (say he wants 1ft by 1ft pieces or smaller then a track saw isn't really going to be ideal.

While I'll thank you for that post when the OP gets down to smaller sizes (say he wants 1ft by 1ft pieces or smaller then a track saw isn't really going to be ideal.

i have every option going i think, even multiples of some.
    the track saw is the way i would go , everytime.

i regularly cut ply 1 foot or less. use a guide rail square and it is really easy and fast.

You can easily get down to foot by foot with a track saw.

And it will be cheaper for him to cut down large pieces into what he wants.

I'd the most ideal tool. He's not making small pieces of a foot is what he needs then that's very achievable

i have every option going i think, even multiples of some.
    the track saw is the way i would go , everytime.

i regularly cut ply 1 foot or less. use a guide rail square and it is really easy and fast.

I was thinking in terms of setting up the tack saw for every cut.

I was thinking in terms of setting up the tack saw for every cut.

i get the impression the op needs a few here and there rather than hindreds of them regularly. a big fancy sliding tablesaw woule be faster but thousands of euro for a entry level one.

a basic low level track saw would be 200-300 euro .

Its a pity OP wont give SOME idea where he is based

Sorry, I'm in Donegal Town.

I've gotten sheets cut down in Homebase before, but like I said there is no place near here willing to cut them down. This is the problem when you live in the sticks and dont have a car.

Sorry, I'm in Donegal Town.

I've gotten sheets cut down in Homebase before, but like I said there is no place near here willing to cut them down. This is the problem when you live in the sticks and dont have a car.

How many do you want what sizes and how often?

You'd could pay for an awful lot of cutting for the cost of a table saw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Track saw may well be a good option, I’ve never used one, so can’t advise. But a good solid table saw that is movable for site use is a very good investment. You can’t handle large 8x4s on it, but what I do is to cut larger sheets to a manageable size using a hand held circular saw with a guide. Then cut these smaller pieces to finished size on the table saw. But apart from that, that saw can do a lot of other jobs.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Track saw may well be a good option, I’ve never used one, so can’t advise. But a good solid table saw that is movable for site use is a very good investment. You can’t handle large 8x4s on it, but what I do is to cut larger sheets to a manageable size using a hand held circular saw with a guide. Then cut these smaller pieces to finished size on the table saw. But apart from that, that saw can do a lot of other jobs.

So buy two saws...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

listermint wrote: »
    So buy two saws...

Maybe, but if hobbyist, always best I think to invest in tools that can do multiple jobs, reasonably well.

Advertisement