Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old medical books, 50's, 60's & 80's

Options
  • 08-05-2019 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭

I inherited a lot of old medical books and although I love some of them I just can't keep them all myself so wondering if anyone could suggest to where I might donate them.

They are mostly pathology based with some general medicine too.

Any suggestions very welcome! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭RoamingDoc

First thing to do is to check if any of them are rare or worth anything substantial.

Afterwards, if they're amenable to just being given away, you could check with local medical schools as well as history departments of local universities (only those with a medical history programme or researcher though).

It's something a lot of doctors do have a big interest in. One of the juniors that I trained briefly was very into it.

Where are you based? I might be able to direct further.

Btw, checking their worth independently first is absolutely the most important step. Anything that is a first edition that subsequently went on to become a mainstream series is likely to be a collector's item at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

Thanks for the great suggestions RoamingDoc.

I'm in Co. Down but often in Dundalk and Drogheda.

I have listed most of them on ebay but there is very little interest except for one or two that I sold. I don't think any are of much value other than of interest to someone, I had a look on abe.co.uk and even a first edition I had was only going for £20 which is what I got for it on ebay.

I'd be very happy just to see them go to a good home but I'm definitely hanging on to Field Service Hygiene Notes India 1950 and a R.A.M.C. Training Pamphlet from the War Office 1952! And Pye's Surgical Handicraft, never know when that might come in useful!

They are all in great condition apart from a few ragged spines. Interiors are all perfect more or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭RoamingDoc

sudzs wrote: »
    Thanks for the great suggestions RoamingDoc.

I'm in Co. Down but often in Dundalk and Drogheda.

The history dept and the medical school at QUB could be good to talk to in that case.

Also, Our Lady of Lourdes hospital in Drogheda is linked to RCSI as an academic institution. They could be worth talking to. Particularly as they specifically keep a collection of historical material.

Stuff which pertains to something uncommon would be particularly valuable (I myself have a lot of texts about managing smallpox presentations and management - fascinating stuff :D ).

Unfortunately it can be quite difficult to determine who is the best person to talk to about medical history within a medical school unless they have a specific lecturer for it.

In my experience, it's usually someone who has a personal interest who adds it in to their teaching repertoire but they'd be listed as what they're trained in instead (e.g. I was taught a lot by a pathologist but his main teaching was actual pathology and that was all he was listed as teaching us in the end).

Advertisement