Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gents, how do you wear your suits?

Options
  • 28-04-2019 3:05pm
    Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

With a waistcoat or not? Fully buttoned with a tie, or no tie and top button undone? Cufflinks or buttons on shirts?

Comments

Spanish blood, top two buttons undone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It depends on the suit and the formality.

If it's a three piece, then with a waistcoat.

Single breasted, single button, then buttoned.

Single breasted, two buttons, then top button closed.

Single breasted, three button, then middle button buttoned.

Double breasted, button all.

Formal wear with a tie, top button closed.

Informal, no tie, top button open and jacket open.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

I'd normally have worn a 2-piece suit, most often without a tie and top button undone, and sometimes for more formal occasions fully buttoned with a tie. I quite like the waistcoat now though and, while I cut a lean figure, it's nice not to wear a belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,689 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Always wear a belt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

I never wear a suit without a tie. I wear 2 and 3 piece suits depending on the occasion. I wear cuff-links depending on the occasion.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Always wear a belt

It's traditional not to wear a belt with a waistcoat, you wouldn't see it anyway unless it causes the waistcoat to bulge or the waistcoat doesn't fit properly.

Balanadan wrote: »
    It's traditional not to wear a belt with a waistcoat, you wouldn't see it anyway unless it causes the waistcoat to bulge or the waistcoat doesn't fit properly.

It most certainly is not traditional.

The etiquette is
    A well-fitted waistcoat's long enough in the front to cover the man's waist, with no dress shirt showing between the belt and the waistcoat.

Note the reference to a belt. All advice on wearing a waistcoat will tell you to ensure the waistcoat covers your belt.

In formal wear you use a belt if belt loops are on the trousers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

In formal wear you use a belt if belt loops are on the trousers.

If your formal wear (I assume you mean black tie here) trousers have belt loops then they shouldn’t. You should never wear a belt with a tuxedo because your waistband should always be covered by either a cummerbund or a waistcoat. A belt buckle will always cause either of those to bulge, ruining the line of your torso. The whole point of that is to create the sleekest line possible. Tux trousers should have side adjusters or brace buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

How do I wear a suit?

As seldom as possible and exactly as it comes out of the wardobe. Which is exactly as it went in. I always bring a change of clothes to get out of it ASAP.

I've the same suit for 10 years now. Has had about 48 hours wear in total. I don't own a tie. I used to, but I used it to tie the boot of the car down on the way back from IKEA a few years ago (it was still in the boot after being taken off outside the church at a wedding months before). I do have several pairs of cufflinks though, that I was given as ill-considered gifts. Don't have a shirt I could wear them with though...

If your formal wear (I assume you mean black tie here) trousers have belt loops then they shouldn’t. You should never wear a belt with a tuxedo because your waistband should always be covered by either a cummerbund or a waistcoat. A belt buckle will always cause either of those to bulge, ruining the line of your torso. The whole point of that is to create the sleekest line possible. Tux trousers should have side adjusters or brace buttons.

I'm not talking Black Tie at all - that's a different kettle of fish all together. I meant formal as in a suit as opposed to a pair of shorts or slacks. The OP was with regard to a suit and waistcoat, not a Tux.

• Advertisement

I'm not talking Black Tie at all - that's a different kettle of fish all together. I meant formal as in a suit as opposed to a pair of shorts or slacks. The OP was with regard to a suit and waistcoat, not a Tux.

Debrett's advise against a belt.

https://www.debretts.com/expertise/etiquette/dress-codes/lounge-suits/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Oh ok I got confused. 'Formal wear' for men means black tie, a regular suit is classed as 'semi-formal', then short/ slacks are casual.

Ideally still though you don't wear a belt with a waistcoat because the buckle adds unnecessary bulk under a well-fitting waistcoat. Most style guides will tell you that tbh.

Advertisement