Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did you order cattle tags....

• 15-12-2016 9:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,852 ✭✭✭✭

Did you order tags yet? I didnt yet will over the werkend. Dont know yet who to go with

Did you order cattle tags yet 84 votes

Yes from eurotags
    7% 6 votes
    Yes from cormac tags
    46% 39 votes
    Didn't order yet
    15% 13 votes
    Other
    30% 26 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

Yep sent it off this week decided to stay with Mullinahone

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

I want to go with Cormac out of a point of principal but with surplus tags from this spring I won't need 50 and don't want to pay for another tagger so not sure who I'll go with. Be ordering tomorrow one way or the other so need to get the finger out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Signpost wrote: »
    I want to go with Cormac out of a point of principal but with surplus tags from this spring I won't need 50 and don't want to pay for another tagger so not sure who I'll go with. Be ordering tomorrow one way or the other so need to get the finger out

How do you mean a different tagger? Are their tags different to mullinhone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Voilà

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Went with Eurotags, as I didn't want to change the tagger.

What brand of tags are cormac selling? The applicator looks like one we used to have around 20 years ago for putting jumbo tags on dairy cows, back in the days of brass tags

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Coolfresian

Yes, ordered from cormac tags. Very hopeful on their quality and they are lower price as well. Got a text today saying my order is being processed :-)

Sam Kade wrote: »
    How do you mean a different tagger? Are their tags different to mullinhone?

Yep, look at charolais0153 post under yours! If you order 50 tags before Jan 31 2017 you get the tagger free, otherwise think its around 25 euro for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,120 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Ordered during the week off mullinahone. Was going to buy off cormac but they hadn't be fully approved and have been caught before waiting 2 months for tags so didn't really want to wait longer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Ordered during the week off mullinahone. Was going to buy off cormac but they hadn't be fully approved and have been caught before waiting 2 months for tags so didn't really want to wait longer

Same here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

got to day from euro tags

had bad experience with the owner of cormac in another sector,

however I will say they have the quickest return for sheep tags

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,852 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

When I go to tag a calf I have the 2 sets of tags loaded in the 2 sets of taggers. Have the bvd yellow pair and a red allflex pair. If I go with cormac do you havevto change the pin in the taggers between tags iykwim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Ordered from mullinahone 3 weeks ago ,also paid icbf levy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

5 numbers on main part of tag now, will ye freeze brand all 5 or just use the 4 last ones as normal?

whelan2 wrote: »
    When I go to tag a calf I have the 2 sets of tags loaded in the 2 sets of taggers. Have the bvd yellow pair and a red allflex pair. If I go with cormac do you havevto change the pin in the taggers between tags iykwim
    Good question actually, hadnt thought about that!
    I usually stick the id tag onto a calf within 24 hours and then do a mass swoop of BVD tags maybe every 10 days / 2 weeks so one tagger would do but could see how it would be a pain if you had 2 taggers on the go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭OverRide

Same system here

Btw I see you can buy the tags off mullinahone online without the icbf levy

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Haven't ordered yet, but will probably stick with mullinahone, mainly because I don't need 50 tags and already have 2 taggers. How long would it take me to save the price of a taggers from cormac, if the tags are cheaper? If cormac gave every new customer a free taggers starting off I'd reconsider.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Just looking at the photo of the cormac bvd tag, have the bvd testing crowd a different sample processing machine because those sample catchers don't look like they would fit into the same testing machine as the eurotag samples?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

It looks like the sample receptacle is attached to the tag, I.e. You won't have a pin to remove. I don't fancy wrestling a newly tagged calf or a protective cow to remove a sample.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Ordered tags as usual and paid the ICBF levy even though I disagree with a lot of what they are spouting. But maybe as the data gathering improves and with it the research we might get better information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Mooooo wrote: »
    5 numbers on main part of tag now, will ye freeze brand all 5 or just use the 4 last ones as normal?

The check digit has just moved to bottom line. If you didn't freeze brand the check digit up till now then why would you start now.
    I have my mullinahone tags in stock. Happy with them all along so didnt see the need to change. Paid levy also, use icbf service a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Did you order tags yet? I didnt yet will over the werkend. Dont know yet who to go with

who did you go with ?

orm0nd wrote: »
    who did you go with ?

Going to get the tags for the spring calvers from eurotags. Will order the ones for Autumn calvers in june and will see then who I will go with. Would have to get 2 sets of cormac taggers to suit the way I tag .

Just checked the Cormac website to see if can order online yet and it seems they are under an ICBF Levy attack ;)

Just got delievery of my years tags off cormac today. Delighted with how they look and super quick delivery. The taggers looks a great job. Envelopes for 2 different bvd Labs included as well. Free replacements for any losses of these tags is a great bonus. :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I got mine today as well, Eurotags with ICBF levy. It'll be strange to see the check digit without putting the cattle into the crush.:rolleyes:

I got mine today as well, Eurotags with ICBF levy. It'll be strange to see the check digit without putting the cattle into the crush.:rolleyes:
    Is the old eye sight starting to fail?

Is the old eye sight starting to fail?

Getting old alright;-)

I could never figure out why the most important number on the tag was the smallest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

Have many left mullinahone? I'm finished with them, must have replaced 40 tags in the last month, ridiculous......

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Midfield9

Just got delievery of my years tags off cormac today. Delighted with how they look and super quick delivery. The taggers looks a great job. Envelopes for 2 different bvd Labs included as well. Free replacements for any losses of these tags is a great bonus. :-D

When did you order to get delivery today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

I think the free replacement is only for first 12 months though and shur it's unlikely they will loose them in that period of time ...

Midfield9 wrote: »
    When did you order to get delivery today?

Ordered on the 8th, so it took just under 2 weeks.

liam7831 wrote: »
    I think the free replacement is only for first 12 months though and shur it's unlikely they will loose them in that period of time ...

A year is mentioned as its the length any of the tag companies has the contract for as far as I know?

At least cormac are offering to replace them for free. Think of all the money eurotags have made on replacement tags

Going to get the tags for the spring calvers from eurotags. Will order the ones for Autumn calvers in june and will see then who I will go with. Would have to get 2 sets of cormac taggers to suit the way I tag .

One tagger fro cormac does both tags without changing any pins

Have the mullinahone ones changed as well?

• Advertisement

Annoyed now I jumped the gun and ordered 100 tags from mullinahone. I've got stung with the Jan backlog before though.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Annoyed now I jumped the gun and ordered 100 tags from mullinahone. I've got stung with the Jan backlog before though.

How does mullinahone take 6 weeks if cornac can do it in 3.
    I ordered around same date as poster up above and I tags yet

I am sure the volume of orders mullinahone have is alot bigger than cormac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Ordered from cormac on dec12.tags arrived today.very fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I am sure the volume of orders mullinahone have is alot bigger than cormac.

Still took 4.5 weeks back in Oct when I ordered

• Advertisement

Can ya cancel the mullinahone order?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭farisfat

Thats what made my mind up when ordering.
    And alot easier to collect bvd sample also.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Can ya cancel the mullinahone order?

Hmm that's gonna be a no, the money came outa my account afew weeks ago immediately after I posted in the order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

How much are EID tags?

If I wanted 40 for numbers 1-40 no herd no etc on them?

How much are EID tags?

You can't get tags without a herd no

What do you want the EID tags for?

How much are EID tags?

EID tags are 1.05 extra with the normal tags from Mullinahone.

You can get EID button tags to match the ear tags the animals already have but I assume they cost replacement tag costs plus the 1.05 extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭kerry cow

Order from cormac yesterday , feel great to support competition in the market .Farmers need competition and need to vote with their feet .Other companies did too much scare morgoring these last few months .THE SKY WAS GOING TO FALL !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭jaymla627

kerry cow wrote: »
    Order from cormac yesterday , feel great to support competition in the market .Farmers need competition and need to vote with their feet .Other companies did too much scare morgoring these last few months .THE SKY WAS GOING TO FALL !!!

Well said, sent in my order to them today, it's great to see a company have the balls to take on the department and break up a monopoly like mullinhone, was ridiculous the stroke politics been pulled to keep them out of the market for as long as the department did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

If all the lads that didn't order yet would go for cormac it would even it out a small bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Well said, sent in my order to them today, it's great to see a company have the balls to take on the department and break up a monopoly like mullinhone, was ridiculous the stroke politics been pulled to keep them out of the market for as long as the department did

It's still going on with one year contracts, surely mullinahone haven't been on year to year contracts for the last 20 or so years. Why not a 5 year contract and let market forces dictate whether cormac and the others stay in the cattle tag business. Also approving new suppliers just at the peak time for tag orders and then some hold up where they didn't approve of the it systems doesn't help promote competition. Why was this not sorted last June. Reading comments on here people are going with mullinahone because of the uncertainty rather than an opinion that mullinahone have a better product.
    I'm very happy with cormacs sheep tags and will strongly consider switching for cattle tags with the different tagger the only downside. A longer contract would make it less of a downside.
    I have no connection to cormac other than purchasing sheep tags and have no problem with mullinahone other than the monopoly they've had and monopolies are bad for consumers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement