Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman 70.3

Options
  • 17-05-2019 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi All,

I was looking into signing up for the 70.3 Ironman in Dun laoighre, I have ran a few marathons and a lot of half marathons but haven’t done something like this before, I do cycle but only a mountain bike. My fitness would be quiet good. Just wondering has anyone done this Ironman before, and what’s there thoughts on it? And if the would recommend doing it for a beginner.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

How is your swimming? Have you open water experience? Maybe try a short triathlon and see if you like it first before doing a long triathlon?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Miguel_330

EC1000 wrote: »
    How is your swimming? Have you open water experience? Maybe try a short triathlon and see if you like it first before doing a long triathlon?

Don’t have any open water experience! I think I would get in fine with the swimming and cycling but unsure of the swimming! I can swim but u sure about the distance and open water! I’m just craving to do something like this.

Thanks a mill for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Agree with EC1000. Try a shorter distance and see how you fair before signing up for a half-iron.

Also, I did the race last year and IMO, it’s all about the cycle, as it’s a very tough hilly course. Be prepared to do a lot of hill/mountain cycling training if you do go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 edit_me

Don't underestimate open water swim. Few people last year were dragged out of the water in IM70.3 DL when they started panicking.....
    Get some road bike and try to do longer hilly rides. If you are around Dublin - try to cycle actual course. Especially hilly part....

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

EDit wrote: »
    Agree with EC1000. Try a shorter distance and see how you fair before signing up for a half-iron.

Also, I did the race last year and IMO, it’s all about the cycle, as it’s a very tough hilly course. Be prepared to do a lot of hill/mountain cycling training if you do go for it.

Is it a tt or road bike type course in your opinion? Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Is it a tt or road bike type course in your opinion? Cheers

Only have the one bike (road bike) and have never ridden a TT bike so cant give an opinion TBH. I think there was a thread on Boards last year where this discussion came up and others were suggesting a road bike, but worth digging that up to get the consensus

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dickidy

i did it last year and there were a lot of people on tt bikes, most people who had the option went with the tt.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭S_D

I would think more of a road bike course over a TT but the better cyclists probably can use the TT and gain significant advantage. I was happy to average it in 26kph on my road bike. Will probably do a few reccies on the TT bike this year and see how I fair. all personal choice really and how you feel

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

As above it's all down to personal choice, but having decided to go with a road bike last year I'll be using the TT bike this year. It is a hilly course, once you get to the Sally Gap it's pretty much flat/downhill all the way, bar one or 2 small drags, definitely time to be made up on the TT bike from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭reidman

If your base fitness is solid you should manage it but 14 weeks or so to go you'd want to be training now. I did something similar when I started off, bike and run fitness improved just fine (the bike course tougher now), swim definitely took a few weeks to come together - I found the leinster open sea series great for building my swim, some of them are wetsuit inclusive now but they were approachable back then and if you're a member of a swim club and/or have a swim ireland number you can participate, I did loads of them and found it a great help for confidence in the water - you'll need to build up to these after lots of time in the pool and get a lot more advice, most people on here are helpful. Maybe target an Olympic distance 4-6 weeks out from the 70.3 and you'll learn a lot, and if you're ready for a longer race. You'll need a training plan, wetsuit, even better join a tri club and time to get on it now to build your base fitness across the disciplines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭tony stark

Hope you don't mind me posting on this thread.
    Just realised I'll be out of action for the 1st 2 and a half weeks in July with a minor operation. So that means 13 weeks to 70.3 in Dun Laoghaire. But weeks 6, 7 and half of 8 will be no training. Should I drop out or is it possible to continue on with these missing weeks of training? It's my 1st 70.3. I can now swim 1.5km non stop in 45 min so should reach 2km in next 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭tony stark

Actually itll only be 12 days I'll be missing..not the worst is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭S_D

tony stark wrote: »
    Actually itll only be 12 days I'll be missing..not the worst is it?

Train harder on the other days :)

Advertisement