Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maintenance

Options
  • 17-05-2019 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I'm separated from my ex and currently waiting to go to court for a Judicial Separation, my ex does not work (well says he doesnt but I've heard he working and getting money into hand) he is receiving social welfare and lives with his parents, I work full time and I'm really struggling with mortgage, bills, childcare etc as I pay for everything on my own,my ex does not take the kids during the week and I have to pay for childcare, would a Judge award me maintenance even if he isnt working?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭LastStop

Sootys wrote: »
    I'm separated from my ex and currently waiting to go to court for a Judicial Separation, my ex does not work (well says he doesnt but I've heard he working and getting money into hand) he is receiving social welfare and lives with his parents, I work full time and I'm really struggling with mortgage, bills, childcare etc as I pay for everything on my own,my ex does not take the kids during the week and I have to pay for childcare, would a Judge award me maintenance even if he isnt working?

Of course. If you can provide proof of his cash in hand work you might get more. but even if it only the social you'll get something.

There is a reason why the court/solicitor requires an affidavit of means.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sootys

Problem is he wont admit to the cash in hand and also he hasnt filled his appearance with the court even after been given an extension to do so, so we are now going for Judicial by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭LastStop

Sootys wrote: »
    Problem is he wont admit to the cash in hand and also he hasnt filled his appearance with the court even after been given an extension to do so, so we are now going for Judicial by default.

Well then the court will proceed without him, get the default and then his social/wages should he get working can be garnished at source.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sootys

We have a court date in the summer for the Judgement by Default I'm just hoping its all sorted then and a judge doesnt give him an extension because he has been given plenty of time to file an appearance and just wasnt arsed to do so. So I'm hoping I will be awarded some kind of maintenance I'm not looking for much even €20 per child as we have 2 kids anything would be helpful. I know its all at the Judges discretion but my affidavit of means shows I'm struggling financially and am at a loss weekly I live off my overdraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Boruma100

Forgot the judicial separation not worth the paper it is written on go straight for divorce and do it yourself . Speaking from experience e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 bored reader

Hi Sooty

Sorry to hear your situation.
    Mine is similar with the roles reversed sort of.
    If he claims that he isnt working surely he vould take the kids a day or two duing the week to save on childcare...
    I'm assuming he is good with the kids of course.
    Judges have been known to order 50 per week from fathers social welfare.
    Hope it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Boruma100 wrote: »
    Forgot the judicial separation not worth the paper it is written on go straight for divorce and do it yourself . Speaking from experience e

That still depends on how long you are living separately. You need to be living separately for two years to file for Judicial Separation and, even though the referendum passed, four years to file for Divorce until the legislation is updated.

Advertisement