Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nzeb, stove

Options
  • 17-05-2019 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Will it be possible to put a solid fuel stove in a new build house and comply with NZEB?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

peadar76 wrote: »
    Will it be possible to put a solid fuel stove in a new build house and comply with NZEB?

Yes. Nothing to stop you putting it in and complying where it is the secondary space heater. Would be easier to comply with no stove where an efficient main heating system provides all space heating .... heat loss is so low in NZEB, stove won't really be used much anyway.

However, although it isn't a requirement, I'd suggest ensuring the stove have a balanced flue if you decide to put it in.

I doubt you'd comply if stove is the only space heating, either with a back boiler or without a back boiler. Efficiency is just too low to be good enough. More to the point, don't forget water heating...it is typically > space heating demand in an NZEB.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

Cheers.
    Balanced flues can't be used with a solid fuel stove, can they?

Given that the house will have a high level of air tightness, an air supply would likely be required, is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

peadar76 wrote: »
    Cheers.
    Balanced flues can't be used with a solid fuel stove, can they?

Given that the house will have a high level of air tightness, an air supply would likely be required, is that correct?

They appear to be available alright. You'd need to double check with your engineer etc to ensure you're still meeting regs. Any stove needs a permanent air supply, but it appears to me that this can be done by direct air supply: example here:
    https://www.stovesonline.co.uk/wood_burning_stoves/ACR-Buxton.html#entity_7579

Double check with the BER helpdesk that this can be counted as 0 chimneys and 0 open flues in DEAP first also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭caesarthechimp

MOTM wrote: »
    They appear to be available alright. You'd need to double check with your engineer etc to ensure you're still meeting regs. Any stove needs a permanent air supply, but it appears to me that this can be done by direct air supply: example here:
    https://www.stovesonline.co.uk/wood_burning_stoves/ACR-Buxton.html#entity_7579

Double check with the BER helpdesk that this can be counted as 0 chimneys and 0 open flues in DEAP first also.
    The Stanley Reginald also has an external air kit. I wonder though, do they not still have an airwash system? (trickle vent above the glass) in which case they would not quite be "balanced flue". I never looked too closely at them.

The main thing is they don't have that wheel for air intake (low down at the front) which in a traditional stove takes the bulk of the air supply direct from the room.

Advertisement