Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portugal - Lagos & Vilamoura

Options
  • 30-04-2019 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Heading to Lagos & Vilamoura, Portugal with the wife and child and interested in hearing any recommendations for places to eat and things to do.
    I've already had a Google and a quick look through Trip Advisor but would appreciate a boardsie take on it too.
    Thanks for any recommendations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Are you getting a hire car?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Ponta Da Piedale just outside Lagos is a must
    grotto-tours-lagos-things-to-do-in-lagos.jpg

Also there is a coastal walk/jog from Praia de Porto de Mós to Marco Geodésico da Atalaia, a look out over Praia de Luz which I would recommend.

Praia de Benagil is a must see too
    caves-vilamoura-benagil.jpg

We ate in a restaurant called Mar which is worth it for the view alone as it overlooks Lagos' long beach. The area around the marina has some lovely restaurants.

Also take a drive out to Sagres Fortress

Heading to Lagos in 4 weeks so will keep an eye on this thread for some ideas

Been to Algarve a few times before so depending on your kids age, here's some recommendations

Slide & Splash water park in Lagoa
    There is a go kart park in Almancil which is near Vilamoura. They have tracks for 3 age groups ranging from very small up to teenagers
    Praia de Marinha beach
    Carvoiero town in the evening - some nice restaurants and great ice cream parlour beside the Irish pub and there is a small square where you can sit and sometimes have street performers down by the beach
    If I think of anything else I'll let you know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

fletch wrote: »
    Also take a drive out to Sagres Fortress

I'd +1 this

Also a nice beach location to chill on the way is

Praia das Cabanas Velhas - Cabanas Velhas Beach
    http://www.cabanasbeachrestaurant.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Are you getting a hire car?

Yes, will have a car for 10 days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Heading to Lagos in 4 weeks so will keep an eye on this thread for some ideas

Been to Algarve a few times before so depending on your kids age, here's some recommendations

Slide & Splash water park in Lagoa
    There is a go kart park in Almancil which is near Vilamoura. They have tracks for 3 age groups ranging from very small up to teenagers
    Praia de Marinha beach
    Carvoiero town in the evening - some nice restaurants and great ice cream parlour beside the Irish pub and there is a small square where you can sit and sometimes have street performers down by the beach
    If I think of anything else I'll let you know

We'll be there at the same time. Thanks I'll take a look at those suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Lagos is much smaller than Vilamoura but quieter too.
    The Marina is lovely and it's pretty much a case of walk the cobbled streets and take your pick of the restaurants. Henriques and Barbossa are two of our favourites.

I'd recommend getting a taxi to Luz too, about €10 per trip, bus is cheaper again.
    The Dolphin, Chicca's and Alloro are all fantastic.
    Steak, a mad mixed bag, and Italian in that order.

We're hoping to walk into Luz one of the days from the apt in Lagos
    Possibly along that cliff walk
    If your kids are a little older then the Kartodromo Internacional is a super kart track
    The Fiesa sand city is a great way to spend a few hours, its near Lagoa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Yep that's very do-able, you can try the shortcut on the way back (straight up towards the pillar!).

It brings you right to the beach area and cafes like Endless Summer and the decent size place on the beach itself (but I can't remember the name of now!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

The Garden was the nicest restaurant I ate in when in Lagos and very reasonable. You'll probably need to book in advance so maybe just drop by a day or 2 beforehand and book.

Advertisement