Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Public transport strike cover?

• 13-05-2019 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi,

Stressing out a bit here. I'm going to Amsterdam soon and we're due to fly back to Dublin the 28th May. They've just announced a major public transport strike covering all trains, buses, trams etc. across the country on the 28th. I was looking at changing my departure day with Ryanair out of handiness but its so expensive. Likewise, getting a taxi back to the airport will be very expensive. Dumb question I know, since it's not the airline's fault, there any way at all this would be covered by travel insurance?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Hi,

Stressing out a bit here. I'm going to Amsterdam soon and we're due to fly back to Dublin the 28th May. They've just announced a major public transport strike covering all trains, buses, trams etc. across the country on the 28th. I was looking at changing my departure day with Ryanair out of handiness but its so expensive. Likewise, getting a taxi back to the airport will be very expensive. Dumb question I know, since it's not the airline's fault, there any way at all this would be covered by travel insurance?

I went to Paris last year during a transport strike, there is always a way to get to the city from the airport. Private buses, shared taxis etc. I just did a quick google and it looks like it's about €40 from Amsterdam airport to the City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

Taxi from central Amsterdam to the airport would be around €60, which is cheaper than missing a flight

Private transfer (suntransfers) would be around €50 for 4 pax.

Alternatively an Uber would be €30-40

Either would be worth the reduction in stress IMHO

Cannot see strike action being covered by travel insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭turbowolfed

Thank you. I figured as much to be honest. Just wanted to check. I'm traveling alone and not the best traveller so i was stressing out about something going wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

If you're staying in a hotel, ask reception to determin if there may be other travellers heading to the airport around the same time

With there being a planned strike the hotel may have some contingency plan in place for guests or may be in a position to suggest the cheapest option for getting to the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭turbowolfed

Just for the sake of an update: Public transport strike going on today as planned. Ryanair has decided to move my flight to Eindhoven airport and ship us all down in buses from a train station in Amsterdam. Kind of dreading the journey just in case anything goes wrong since it's now unconfirmed what our departure and arrival times will be now we've changed. Hopefully it will be fine

• Advertisement
Advertisement