Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GSM relay

Options
  • 30-04-2019 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭

Looking at getting a gam relay to open my electric gates. What would you recommend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

Anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

I use a Sonoff relay connected to the intercom unit inside the house.

Can open the gates with Google speakers or via the app from anywhere

Ok thanks, where did you get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

what make Electric gates do you have setup with these?

• Advertisement

Automan wrote: »

have you this setup with Gates and Access PAD? ACT 5 / ACT 10?

tech wrote:
    what make Electric gates do you have setup with these?

It's a bft Overground kit.

Will work with any kit but easier of you've a cable going to intercom in house.

Very easily setup

tech wrote:
    Ok thanks, where did you get it.

EBay.

I can post link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

tech wrote: »
    Hi

Looking for a good gsm relay, that I can use with CAME electric gates. Can any one suggest a good one

Thanks

You looking for an intercom or just a relay to pulse the gate? I'm in the trade and have fitted a few Aes intercoms which are sleek and very reliable

Amazon, eBay and anywhere that sells gate automation gear will have a no brand gsm relay. There is no stand out brand. The cheap and cheerful Chinese ones work just as well. If you don't add a bill pay SIM make sure you do your regular 6 month top ups the provider insists in to keep the SIM alive

HI High Horse, the gates will be CAME, and I would like a PIN code, Intercom, and GSM relay option, what would you recommend , do I need a seperate ACT 5 unit and then the Intercom, or is the a good unit that will offer PIN code and act as Intercom also

Many Thanks

• Advertisement

HI High Horse, the gates will be CAME, and I would like a PIN code, Intercom, and GSM relay option, what would you recommend , do I need a seperate ACT 5 unit and then the Intercom, or is the a good unit that will offer PIN code and act as Intercom also

Many Thanks

There are plenty of options here. Lots of intercoms offer this and even Came do their own Came BPT range of intercoms. ACT were bought out by a Dutch company Vanderbilt, they have a full range also. Lots of the ACT range of products have gone end of line though, they are just dropping products and pushing installers to use Vanderbilt.

This is what we use at work, it could be well over your budget though. We deal with corporate clients.
    https://www.autogatesystems.ie/gsm-intercom-3e-ab-with-keypad.html

Hi there, thanks yes that is quite expensive. What cheaper options do you recommend?

Hi there, thanks yes that is quite expensive. What cheaper options do you recommend?

I don't use ACT anymore for the reason started earlier but it would be fine for a one off residential install. Also check out Comelit, National Automation supply both of them although you may need someone in the trade to buy from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

have you this setup with Gates and Access PAD? ACT 5 / ACT 10?

Not me no, but I know of installers that have.
    There is another product that works with a wired intercom to turn it into a wireless intercom, maybe this will be better suited for your needs:
    http://2t-tec.com/voyager-gsm-intercom-gate-automation/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Will you have a simple push button in the house you open the gate ?

only if I have an intercom device?

only if I have an intercom device?

A GSM intercom just dials a number to ring a landline or mobile. Do you have a cable to the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dec2000

Sorry to hijack thread but can you share details on how you set this up?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

dec2000 wrote:

I assume he's using the low voltage Sonoff 5 to 24V?

That's why I asked if the op had a push to make intercom button in their house.

I've this done but not with a sonoff

I've a lightwaverf relay.

To replicate the on off function, I made a routine on the app. I turn on for 2 seconds then off.

I used this as I only have two volt free contacts to open my gate so I hooked up a lightwaverf relay to the intercom in the house so it's within the wifi zone rather than outside

I can call the routine on Google or Alexa as a single command

Not sure about how it's done with the Sonoff as I've only used 220Vac and RF types
    I needed to bundle the
    Gate open (button down)
    Gate closed (button release)
    Into one instruction to replicate a bell push type switch.

So I did with with
    Gate open+2 sec timer+gate closed = open gate

The internal controls on the gate hold the gate open for 30 seconds

If I didn't have the on then off feature offered by routines then the motor would continue to try you open or close the gate I definitely.

with the Sonoff GSM switch, cani power this directly from a 3 pin wall plug ?? or do I need a transformer?

• Advertisement

dec2000 wrote:

To use sonoff to open gates:

1. You need a cable in the dwelling linked to the gate panel. In my setup, I just paralleled with the cable in the wired intercom in my kitchen.

2. The sonoff relay must be capable of giving a pulse signal ie. On for a second or two and then off. The one I got could be setup to pulse or simple on/off. The sonoff relay is powered with android phone charger plugged to 13a socket.

3. Simply power up your sonoff relay, pair it with your Wi-Fi and set up in the app. Give it a name in the app ie. Gates. Setup voice commands in Google assistant or Alexa if you want that function.

4. Wire the two cores that send the signal to your gate panel across the N/O contacts of the relay.

5. Job done. Test using the app or voice controls.

I can operate mine with voice or in the app. Can even open them with voice command to car radio. Gates can be opened remotely from anywhere so long as you've internet/data connection.

The normal controls/, intercom etc all still work as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dec2000

To use sonoff to open gates:

1. You need a cable in the dwelling linked to the gate panel. In my setup, I just paralleled with the cable in the wired intercom in my kitchen.

2. The sonoff relay must be capable of giving a pulse signal ie. On for a second or two and then off. The one I got could be setup to pulse or simple on/off. The sonoff relay is powered with android phone charger plugged to 13a socket.

3. Simply power up your sonoff relay, pair it with your Wi-Fi and set up in the app. Give it a name in the app ie. Gates. Setup voice commands in Google assistant or Alexa if you want that function.

4. Wire the two cores that send the signal to your gate panel across the N/O contacts of the relay.

5. Job done. Test using the app or voice controls.

I can operate mine with voice or in the app. Can even open them with voice command to car radio. Gates can be opened remotely from anywhere so long as you've internet/data connection.

The normal controls/, intercom etc all still work as normal.

Thanks, have the intercom in the hall so will take a look at the connections, can you link to which sonoff you bought? I have to push the button on the intercom for about 5 seconds before it triggers the gate, can the length of the pulse be set?

The length of the pulse can be set yes

Advertisement