Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

media coverage of recent legal cases

Options
  • 19-05-2019 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

I may be missing something I could even be paranoid

the recent coverage by RTE gave us lengthy comprehensive detail of the Quirke trial and now Anna's murder trial, both horrible acts. last week we had reportage on the dropping of the charges against mr.mcgregor regarding a mobile phone in florida, next week we can expect details regarding Mr.Baileys trial in Paris .

For most of the public there will be little or no connection or ramifications from any of these cases.
    In comparison there has been no coverage on the Dunne bankruptcy case in Connecticut where We the taxpayers are hoping through Nama might get some of our money back?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

People are more interested in murder trials than bankruptcy hearings.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

amcalester wrote: »

yes but the murder cases or dancing on phone cases actually have nothing to do with them and if the publicly funded media do not report what is actually is the public interest should we not question is there bias or some other force at work is their role to be sensationalist or serious reporters, once again I could be paranoid

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lemonee_

Lano Lynn wrote: »

the recent coverage by RTE gave us lengthy comprehensive detail of the Quirke trial and now Anna's murder trial, both horrible acts. last week we had reportage on the dropping of the charges against mr.mcgregor regarding a mobile phone in florida, next week we can expect details regarding Mr.Baileys trial in Paris .

For most of the public there will be little or no connection or ramifications from any of these cases.
    In comparison there has been no coverage on the Dunne bankruptcy case in Connecticut where We the taxpayers are hoping through Nama might get some of our money back?

The Irish Times has covered everyday of the Dunne bankruptcy trial thus far.. not headline but is covered

Lemonee_ wrote: »
    The Irish Times has covered everyday of the Dunne bankruptcy trial thus far.. not headline but is covered

yes IT has covered the story why has RTE not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

amcalester wrote: »

Perhaps not, if they read Saturday's report!
    "Sean Dunne offered seat on US company board to Bertie Ahern"

"Email in which developer seeks help from former taoiseach put into evidence in US trial"

• Advertisement

Squatter wrote: »
    Perhaps not, if they read Saturday's report!

he (dunne) thinks south Africa might be corrupt but wants bertie on board?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 AliAMG

I've a bigger problem with the ghoulish detail of every fact of the murder cases. It must be horribly distressing for the families involved to have lurid headlines splashed across all national papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

AliAMG wrote: »
    I've a bigger problem with the ghoulish detail of every fact of the murder cases. It must be horribly distressing for the families involved to have lurid headlines splashed across all national papers.

All of the evidence is well known by all families involved, before it is said in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Media want to sell ads

These type of voyeuristic sadistic stories sell copies and drive up advertising.

They dont give a flying **** about the victims or the accused.

Don't be sucked in be these vampires and their moralising.

Sick vultures the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 AliAMG

All of the evidence is well known by all families involved, before it is said in court.

All of your personal interactions with women is well known to you. would you like it to be published on the front of national newspapers?

There is a distinct difference and you should know that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

AliAMG wrote: »
    All of your personal interactions with women is well known to you. would you like it to be published on the front of national newspapers?

There is a distinct difference and you should know that.

If there was a reason for my personal history to be published and it was in the public interest, I wouldn't have a choice ...would I ?

Ps, I honestly can't say all of my personal interactions with women are well known to me, I will have forgotten some interactions throughout the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

They dont give a flying **** about the victims or the accused.

Don't be sucked in be these vampires and their moralising.

Sick vultures the lot of them.

Quit your own moralising. Murder trials have fallen into the category of public spectacle, back to Victorian times and beyond. A packed public gallery in the court and wall to wall coverage in certain sections of the press is par for the course.

Crime sells newspapers.

The Dunne 'trial' in the US is a civil case, it wouldn't be called a trial if it was happening here.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

yes but the murder cases or dancing on phone cases actually have nothing to do with them and if the publicly funded media do not report what is actually is the public interest should we not question is there bias or some other force at work is their role to be sensationalist or serious reporters, once again I could be paranoid

In relation to the 'dancing on phones' case, Conor McGregor is a world-famous sports person (if you consider MMA a 'sport') and is considerd a role model by certain people so I don't understand how you object to the (pretty mild) coverage of that case.

When I refer to 'mild coverage', what I mean is that not one news organisation suggested that the (alleged) injured party was bought off with cash to withdraw his statement. Nor were parallels drawn with another recent case (reported in the New York Times) where a much more serious and recent allegation made against him was mysteriously withdrawn.

dunne case actually got a mention on drive time today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

She has to fork out a cool €18m as a result

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

Covered on the RTE TV 6 o'clock news too. With a report from the USA.

Nice to see Gayle and Seanie having to fork out €18m! Hopefully with more to come!

Advertisement