Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any pipe smokers here?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Ah, I see, between his ass and the taste on your pipe + the ghost, I had no idea what he was on about - many thanks :))

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

sorry my bad. i find condor very strong on the nicotine front (it knocks me on my ass)

and the flavour tends to taint the pipe so everthing i smoke after has a hint of condor (ghost)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Churchwarden

I dont really go for the over the counter brands. I find them too mucky and strong. I do use Clan the odd time with some Cherry. The Clan is just used to help the Cherry burn better as it can be very moist. My fav' haunt at the moment is The Decent Cigar Emporium as they sell a beautiful Rum tobacco. The best way to avoid ghosting is to build up the pipe collection, which can be costly. But if you scan the ads on Gumtree and others you can sometimes pick up great pipes for next to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

Reaming the pipe regularly (eg monthly) will help against carry-over of taste. Another measure that I take is to replace the stem at intervals. Petersons will do this for theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 shanejl

hey there,

I have a problem i hope that ye can help me with. i know absolutley nothing about pipe tobacco.

I am buying a gift for an elderly man. his only hobby/pastime is his pipe. i have manged to find out that he smokes condor tobacco. It has been described to me as the solid type, not the loose, grassy kind.

Would this be the Long Cut type as i see advertised on the net??

And also where is the best place to buy it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭paxo

shanejl wrote: »
    hey there,

I have a problem i hope that ye can help me with. i know absolutley nothing about pipe tobacco.

I am buying a gift for an elderly man. his only hobby/pastime is his pipe. i have manged to find out that he smokes condor tobacco. It has been described to me as the solid type, not the loose, grassy kind.

Would this be the Long Cut type as i see advertised on the net??

And also where is the best place to buy it?

Shane
    Sounds like it may be Condor Plug. Can't help you with where to buy it but I would guess that most Tobacconists would stock it.

Shane. I agree with Paxo. Sounds like you are looking for plug. Available from Petersons or James Fox. Go to Petersons, who have moved to Nassau st. They will advice you better. As for Condor. Try P&P Barry beside the Royal college of Surgeons. If they don't stock Condor they can get it for you or push you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hill St Blue

Folks,
    Apologies for hi-jacking your thread, but I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of where (in Dublin) I might find a decent straight pipe, that won't cost me a fortune (an Xmas present for an old Uncle who smokes nowt but the pipe and Mick McQuaid tobacco!)
    I had a quick browse online, but a lot of the pipes I came across were in the €100+ mark (I know that may not seem like much to pipe connoisseurs like ye'reselves!) and the budget won't just stretch that far at the minute!
    Any information would be appreciated!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Try Peterson's on Nassau Street. Explain to them what you're looking for, and how much you have to spend, and they should be able to give you some options.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

Folks,
    Apologies for hi-jacking your thread, but I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of where (in Dublin) I might find a decent straight pipe, that won't cost me a fortune (an Xmas present for an old Uncle who smokes nowt but the pipe and Mick McQuaid tobacco!)
    I had a quick browse online, but a lot of the pipes I came across were in the €100+ mark (I know that may not seem like much to pipe connoisseurs like ye'reselves!) and the budget won't just stretch that far at the minute!
    Any information would be appreciated!

http://www.jamesfox.ie/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=209_345_347

at the end of grafton st or petersons up on nassu st nearby but they dont show prices on there website

• Advertisement

P&P Barry beside the College of Surgeons on King's Street South off Grafton street do PB pipes which are a Petersons bargain basement brand that will cost anything from €25-€35 and do very nice straights.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Galwayguy20

P&P Barry beside the College of Surgeons on King's Street South off Grafton street do PB pipes which are a Petersons bargain basement brand that will cost anything from €25-€35 and do very nice straights.

Never heard of a PB pipe before Churchwarden, does it stand for something I can't think of?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hill St Blue

I got a lovely straight pipe this morning in Barry's for €30. Cheers for all the info guys!

It probably stands for Peterson's Bargains. Who really knows, but at €30 you cant go wrong. Glad you got it sorted and within budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Not sure if this is allowed?? But I have a few drums of ErinMore Mixture and to be honest I'd like to try something a little different. Can I swap a drum with a fellow pipe smoker if they're interested? Please delete if it's not allowed, thought I'd give it a go seeing it's lying idle in the drawer?:confused:

Advertisement