Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how many cigs do customs let you bring through in EU??

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Barnsleyfc wrote: »
    Are they allowed to avail of the 200 mega cheap non-EU aswell as the 800 EU allowance each?
    The 200 non-EU will form part of the 800 they can safely bring in to Ireland from the other EU country. They should keep all receipts.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

fAzI wrote: »
    She was come in from Poland
    I know a few Polish lads who often bring a box or two extra when they're coming back from visiting people back home, and lately the customs people are checking a lot of the Polish to see what cigarettes they are bringing to Ireland, to put a halt to this carry on :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29 zitaron

If they are for personal use AND bought within the EU AND a receipt is kept as proof of purchase : then you can bring in as much as you like, or to put it another way -- as much as you would reasonably smoke between arrival with the cigs/tobacco and your next holiday.
    The burden of proof that the goods are NOT for personal consumption is entirely with the Revenue.
    Sure, they might take all or most off you at the point of entry - but if you stick to your guns, either through representations or a solicitor, then they will return the fags/drink.
    It doesn't matter if one is returning from a day trip or holiday or work, within the EU there is free movement of goods that have been purchased Duty- or VAT-paid by any resident of an EU country in another EU country.

zitaron wrote: »
    The burden of proof that the goods are NOT for personal consumption is entirely with the Revenue.
    No it isn't. If you've more than 800 they can just take them with no burden on them whatsoever. Revenue have powers that newer organisations -- such as the police -- can only dream of.
    if you stick to your guns, either through representations or a solicitor, then they will return the fags/drink.
    Do you know anyone who's actually done this? A solicitor will end up costing you more than a run to Poland to buy more fags.
    It doesn't matter if one is returning from a day trip or holiday or work, within the EU there is free movement of goods that have been purchased Duty- or VAT-paid by any resident of an EU country in another EU country.
    With the explicit exception of excisable goods such as cigarettes which have specific conditions attaching to them. And there's a Revenue guideline that says once you've over 800 cigarettes it's up to you to explain how they're not for re-selling, and up to Revenue to decide whether or not to believe you.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭EoinHeffernan

Since my question is kind of related to this topic il stick it in here, I'm going to Bratislava next week and plan on stocking up on cigs while I'm there but there are several articles on the net which say that I'm only allowed to bring back 200 while others say 3200, does anyone know what the actual figure is or should I just stock up and hope for the best?

• Advertisement

Bratislava is in the EU, so if you're flying into Dublin with 800 or less you're fine. If you've more than 800 they could be confiscated if you're stopped and the customs officers don't believe they're for personal use, eg if you have multiple brands.

Edit: oh -- you're in Vienna. I've not seen any customs officers on the trains between Vienna and Bratislava so you can probably bring as much as you can carry. Best check with Boards.at to be sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭EoinHeffernan

Cheers for that, I'm actually not in Vienna at the moment but back in Ireland thus the reason for asking, hopefully I can get through without any bother, 800 should easily tide me over for the time being!

BeerNut wrote: »
    No it isn't. If you've more than 800 they can just take them with no burden on them whatsoever. Revenue have powers that newer organisations -- such as the police -- can only dream of.

Do you know anyone who's actually done this? A solicitor will end up costing you more than a run to Poland to buy more fags.

With the explicit exception of excisable goods such as cigarettes which have specific conditions attaching to them. And there's a Revenue guideline that says once you've over 800 cigarettes it's up to you to explain how they're not for re-selling, and up to Revenue to decide whether or not to believe you.
    I'm well aware of Revenue's powers - I've driven trucks in over 30 countries and given customs of various countries thousands of euro, most of which was returned with interest and costs when legally contested (in UK, France, Ireland).Their powers are immense.

However, I'm not talking about smuggling for profit -- rather, about bringing in a personal allowance , that is above the Revenue guidelines, from an EU country to Ireland. Those Revenue guidelines are simply that - guidelines - and they have no legal force whatsoever. They certainly cannot override EU law on the free movement of goods and citizens.
    True, over 800 cigs or similar can be confiscated at an officer's discretion, if he/she suspects that they are not for personal use. However this is an interim measure, the outcome of which depends on your reaction.
    Most people roll over - and Revenue knows and depends on this. But if taken a step further, then Revenue has a burden of proof to prove that the goods are NOT for personal use. And this they cannot do - if the goods are demonstrably for one's own use.
    I wouldn't recommend a trip solely to buy fags - but if one is travelling then it makes sense to travel smart,legally, and make the journey pay for itself.

No argument there. Going back to my earlier post, I said 800 is the amount that can be taken in safely. Any more and you're inviting the possibility of hassle from customs. Whether the extra ciggies are worth that risk is of course up to the individual punter.

Going back to my earlier question: do you know anyone who's ever fought a my-word-against-customs's case to recover confiscated goods, and if so, how did it go? Of course Revenue guidelines can't override the law, but the law is how a judge interprets it, and I'd be very interested to know how the jurisprudence lies here. Have you any real-life examples from Ireland?

BeerNut wrote: »
    No argument there. Going back to my earlier post, I said 800 is the amount that can be taken in safely. Any more and you're inviting the possibility of hassle from customs. Whether the extra ciggies are worth that risk is of course up to the individual punter.

Going back to my earlier question: do you know anyone who's ever fought a my-word-against-customs's case to recover confiscated goods, and if so, how did it go? Of course Revenue guidelines can't override the law, but the law is how a judge interprets it, and I'd be very interested to know how the jurisprudence lies here. Have you any real-life examples from Ireland?
    Rather than my slant on it here is the legal position from the Chairperson of the Revenue ,Josephine Feehily, stated before the Dail Commitee on Public Accounts 11/3/2010......
    http://debates.oireachtas.ie/ACC/2010/03/11/printall.asp
    She said
    "There are three main ways in which untaxed tobacco gets into the country. The first is often missed in the discussion. In the context of our membership of the European Union, people can bring duty paid tobacco from other member states for their personal use. While we have an indicative guideline of 800 cigarettes, it is only indicative and the law states a person can bring in tobacco for personal use. There is significant case law in the European and domestic courts that suggests that the burden of proof for us to establish cigarettes are not for personal use is very high. People can legally bring many thousands of cigarettes into the country for their own use."
    She goes on to talk about the 2 main illegal sources of ciggys coming into Ireland, but , significantly, concludes by saying.....
    "Those are the three main sources of untaxed cigarettes. The second two sources are illegal while the first is not, and that is an important point."
    So, that is the Chairperson of the Revenue Commisioners stating very clearly that it is NOT illegal to bring in thousands of cigarettes (or tobacco,or drink) -- provided that the relevant taxes have been paid in another member state,( irrespective of whether those taxes are higher or lower than Ireland's,) and that the goods are for personal use.
    My view is that an Irish judge cannot 'interpret' the law to suit the purpose of tax gathering. European law takes precedence - and there is 'significant case law' to uphold this. It doesn't matter what EU country that 'significant case law' origininally related to : Irish courts,politicians, and Revenue are bound by it, and acknowledge it.

• Advertisement

That's a "No", then.

" that's a no then".?.. I presume you mean, do I know of specific cases in Ireland?
    We had a truck impounded entering Dublin - that was subsequently released without penalty. In the cab were 2 cases of tobacco. The driver insisted they were for personal use, as he was soon to go off the road and wanted to stock up beforehand. The boxes were released to him.
    In Dover I made representations through a solicitor and had 2 cases released back to me also.
    At all ports I have had customs look at a case of tobacco in , unhidden , either in the boot or the cab, and been waved on - sometimes after a couple of questions. It's no big deal.
    No laws were broken, receipts were shown - I did the same for my anniversary party-- I had a copy of the hotel booking and a covring letter from the hotel showing that I would supply the wine and they the corkage. No problem. Revenue isn't there to hassle people - simply to collect due taxes. If no taxes are due then it's not their problem.
    Revenue is only doing its job; and in my experience they are very evenhanded.They aren't going to initiate a prosecution unless they are fairly certain a law has been broken.
    The 'guidelines' are simply a scare tactic, a smokescreen patch on a souce of leaking revenue.
    To reverse the question: do you know of a genuine traveller who applied , through the correct channels,for the return of confiscated cigs over the 800 guideline who was refused the return of goods?
    I'm over 40 years dealing with customs, and if the Chairperson says that the burden of proof is high - and on their side - then that is a green lane in anyone's language. The goods don't have to be hidden -- if anyone is still uncertain, then print out a copy of her statement to the Public Accounts Commitee, no Revenue official is going to bet against their boss on a loser.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Super. Now that we know that - let's move on.

As previously stated on this thread - the guidelines are there to be read on the Revenue website & you can then decide for yourselves how much you purchase.

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Super. Now that we know that - let's move on.

As previously stated on this thread - the guidelines are there to be read on the Revenue website & you can then decide for yourselves how much you purchase.

HB
    Link to the Revenue website is included in the Charter thread.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,293 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

OldGoat wrote: »
    Link to the Revenue website is included in the Charter thread.

Maybe you could consider putting in a link to the aforementioned revenue commisioners statement to the Dail Public Account Committee into the charter as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

No.

HB

Maybe you could consider putting in a link to the aforementioned revenue commisioners statement to the Dail Public Account Committee into the charter as well?
    Hill Billy wrote: »
    No.

HB

Why not?
    The statement to DPAC seems as legitimate a piece of information as the revenue website, and comes from the same source, i.e. the revenue.
    In addition it has the advantage of having been made under Dail commitee rules, so lying wasn't an option.

Should be both links or neither in the Charter in my humble.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Why not?
    The statement to DPAC seems as legitimate a piece of information as the revenue website, and comes from the same source, i.e. the revenue.
    In addition it has the advantage of having been made under Dail commitee rules, so lying wasn't an option.

Should be both links or neither in the Charter in my humble.

I'm not a Mod here but i suspect that Boards want to distance themselves from anything that appears to encourage or condone the transportation of cigarettes across state borders. It's a grey area and unless Revenue come out with a definitive statement,"You can carry as much as you like" or "citizens will not be stopped with anything up to a limit of xxxx cigarettes" then it's best to steer clear of 'advice'.

Last thing Boards wants is "ZOMG!!! The Customs guy wouldn't believe me when i said Boards.ie said it was ok to bring in loads of fags" threads and people referencing Boards as some sort of valid reference point for law.

The Charter is effectively the rules and terms of use of the forum,adding the above to it would effectively be giving it a certain form of legitimacy.

That's my take on it anyways.:)

lord lucan wrote: »
    That's my take on it anyways.:)

See what you mean.

Though I don't think 'here is a link to the revenue guidelines' and 'here is a link to the head of the revenue clarifying these guidelines' should be a problem.

Up to the mods anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

As above. The link to the revenue site is how things currently stand in law. Josephine Feehily comments may be of use to your barristers arguments in court but the forum and Board.ie can't and won't interperet the law as it stands. More then happy to discuss it but can't endorse her statment as the right for everyone to bring in 500,000* B&H - for personal use.

*Exageration of a point cos it sounds more dramatic then 5000 :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Hey all, I'm off to Portugal in the morning and am looking to brings back some cigs. Whats the maximum amount I can bring back?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭bigbadpat

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Hey all, I'm off to Portugal in the morning and am looking to brings back some cigs. Whats the maximum amount I can bring back?

You can bring back as many as you like as Portugal is within the EU.
    However you need to be able to convince Customs that they are ALL for personal consumption

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

400 is the maximum otherise they will be taken of you., if stopped by customs.

realies wrote: »
    400 is the maximum otherise they will be taken of you., if stopped by customs.

Is that all?:confused: I was hoping to bring back around 800 or so!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jimdublin15

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_to_ireland/customs_regulations_for_travellers.html

Alcohol and tobacco allowances for travellers to Ireland from EU

Goods

Maximum quantity allowed

Cigarettes 800
    Cigarillos 400
    Cigars 200
    Smoking tobacco 1 kg

You are not entitled to alcohol or tobacco allowances if you are aged under 17 years.

You should keep any receipts as proof that you have paid duty and VAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

800 it is so, sorry about that :-)

Anyone know the price of fags in Portugal?:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Between €30-€40 for 200 depending on brand.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Between €30-€40 for 200 depending on brand.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_to_ireland/customs_regulations_for_travellers.html

Alcohol and tobacco allowances for travellers to Ireland from EU

Goods

Maximum quantity allowed

Cigarettes 800
    Cigarillos 400
    Cigars 200
    Smoking tobacco 1 kg

You are not entitled to alcohol or tobacco allowances if you are aged under 17 years.

You should keep any receipts as proof that you have paid duty and VAT.

Why quote so selectively, the most important aspect as pointed out by prior posters is
    "If your purchases are equivalent to or less than the quantities set out in the table below, they will usually be regarded as being for your personal use. If you exceed these quantities, you may have to demonstrate at Customs that the goods are for your personal use. "
    You can bring as much as you want so long as it's for non commercial use - this has been dealt with by the ECJ in a number of cases and they have had to accept that goods brought to give as presents etc, to pay babysitters (!?!) etc are covered by the exemption. I cannot remember the outcome of the one involving someone who was going on a trip and took cash from friends to cover their desires but I believe that was also acceptable provided that there was no profit element.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement