Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how many cigs do customs let you bring through in EU??

Options
  • 19-02-2011 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Im goin to Barcelona in 3 weeks... but as fags are SO expensive here im planning on stocking up over there...i was there in october and brought home 300. i bought 5 boxes (of 20's) of these in the shops and then a 200 carton in the airport on the way home! i REALLY regret not gettin more... how many can be brought through customs?? (just to let yee know, im not goin to be selling them on, theyll be all for me :D)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

There's no actual specified limit for travel within the EU. The rule is that you can bring any amount for "personal use". So, really, it depends on the customs officer who stops you. I've brought 1000-2000 home from Poland and Spain a number of times no problem. But then, I've never been stopped so I dunno if that's an acceptable amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭poozers

Eek! see im only going to be bringing hand luggage, so theres no doubt they'll be spotted in my bag!! oh im scared now :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Don't worry about it! For one, if what you're bringing back really is for personal use then you have nothing to worry about. If you're only bringing hand luggage, you're not gonna get more than 2000 in there anyway, even if you come back with no clothes. Customs will be on the lookout for someone who is bringing back commercial quantities, not someone with hand luggage. I fly at least four/five times a year, through Cork and Dublin airports. Never been stopped in all my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

3,600 as long as it's for personal use.

Oh, on a side note, since they removed the intra-EU duty free in 1998, EU-Commissioners can still purchase cigs duty-free for intra-EU use.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I brought 3,500 back from Barcelona last year in a sports bag with no problems. Buy them in the Tobacco(Tabac) shops in town,they're more expensive at the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭poozers

i'd almost wish i got stopped, might get on the spanish telly, "Nada que Declarar" :D lol only jokin! but feelin better about it now! only goin for a few days anyway, and last time i brought WAY too much, so keepin it light this time! so im goin to squeeze in as much as i can (and can afford) :D thanks a mill for the replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Print that out ^^^^..and stick it in your bag :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Does this include lanzarote? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

magicianz wrote: »
    Does this include lanzarote? :o

Nope,Lanzarote is a Duty Free destination so anything over 200 is likely to be seized by Customs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

3,600 as long as it's for personal use.
    Source? I'm interested as there are many figures going around.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,303 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Source? I'm interested as there are many figures going around.

You'll struggle to get an actual official 'source' - the revenue have been happy for years to have the 800 figure bandied about and put up on their website. And only when they were in front of Dail Committee did they tell the truth.

Anecdotally I have a good friend who is a customs officers who regularly does the Dublin Airport rota and she has told me that they all informally work on a 3200 figure for a 'holiday-maker'. However someone who does a day-trip to Spain or an overnighter to Poland could be treated as not being on a true holiday. And having different brands among your x000 cigarettes could be a no-no as well. But like so much in life it 'all depends'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I was always thought it was 400.

I was in Riga few years back and had 9 cartons (1800) in my checked in luggage. When i got home there were only 5 cartons (1000) in the bag. This was in Dublin btw. I never reported it as i honestly thought 400 was the max. The ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

why not just post 2000-3000 home and then bring some with you in your bag ????

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

why not just post 2000-3000 home and then bring some with you in your bag ?
    That would be 100% illegal. You are only exempt from the Irish excise duty if you transport the goods yourself.

(I've a funny feeling this may have been mentioned on this board before.)

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

BeerNut wrote: »
    That would be 100% illegal. You are only exempt from the Irish excise duty if you transport the goods yourself.

(I've a funny feeling this may have been mentioned on this board before.)

**OOPS**
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

my 19year old brother got away with 400 cigarettes and 4litres of spirits from lanzarote last july i myself wouldnt chance much more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭upandcumming

I'm going to NY in summer and planning on bringing back a heap. Same rule applies or what?

Coming from outside the EU your limit is 200 cigarettes. Full details.

Coming from outside the EU your limit is 200 cigarettes. Full details.

Even if I was connecting through Heathrow?

Sorry, read it closer!

Oh, but if Heathrow clear me, can I still be done?

• Advertisement

Even if I was connecting through Heathrow?
    You can bring in as many UK-bought cigs as you want, though over 800 or so the Customs officers can start causing you bother. But you can only bring 200 from the US to the EU, regardless of where in the EU you land and where you clear Customs.

You can bring in as many UK-bought cigs as you want, though over 800 or so the Customs officers can start causing you bother. But you can only bring 200 from the US to the EU, regardless of where in the EU you land and where you clear Customs.

Ah fuck it! Marlboro have 1000 for $140 in JFK! Thanks anyway for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I've removed a couple of posts that contravened the following rule in the Smoking Forum Charter:

Excise Duty
    Do not use this forum to ask for/give advice on how to avoid paying excise duties.

Please ensure that you read & understand the forum charter before you post again.

HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Is 3kg of rolling tobacco the max we can bring back?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭fAzI

my daughter bring 4000 cigs last month and they Cath her on custom and let her keep only 800.

#$@%$#& :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭fAzI

She was come in from Poland and she try to tell them that this cigs are for parents but they not listening :(

Cigs were two brads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

fAzI wrote: »
    She was come in from Poland and she try to tell them that this cigs are for parents but they not listening :(

Cigs were two brads.

That's the problem. For the parents won't work - it has to be for the person buying/travelling withs consumption no one else. Two brands would also make it harder to argue personal consumption as reason for carrying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Barnsleyfc

My girlfriends parents are going on a cruise next week and are going to bring home cigarettes.They'll be travelling both inside and outside the EU.Are they allowed to avail of the 200 mega cheap non-EU aswell as the 800 EU allowance each?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement