Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Begging Cigarettes ?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I've not seen that in 10 years except for university professors and the like.
    Maybe some of the people you've seen weren't university professors or the like. Did you ask for ID?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

BeerNut wrote: »
    Maybe some of the people you've seen weren't university professors or the like. Did you ask for ID?
    Hush up, I'm enjoying the promotion.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Registered Users Posts: 39 silverhare

That's amazing. Do you smoke a pipe in public in Dublin? I've not seen that in 10 years except for university professors and the like.

Yes! :D I smoke a pipe in public in Dublin's city centre. I've a really nice 'factory second' rustic briar from Peterson's. I believe it was meant to be one of the St. Patricks day 2007 pipes but the staining went a bit funny and it came out a lovely blue colour rather than dark green.

I do get the occasional funny look, but more often I have people coming over to me to compliment the aroma. It's a great conversation starter. I'm now tempted to get myself a large meerschaum octagonal (or hexagonal if I can find one) calabash. Think classic Sherlock Holmes with a twist.

I definitely don't look like a professor...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 AVA_Steve

Tuam is a nightmare for this, I was getting ready for a gig, and I was having a fag for the nerves as you do, and this complete stranger who genuinely looked as if he'd punch me the first chance he got said, jesus give us one of those would you? No please no nothing, so I just said sorry mate, buy your own, he tried 4 more people after he moved on from me, the pub ended up closing the outer door of the smoking area because of it just so he couldn't get in that way (Closed function he wouldn't get in without an invite)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

That's amazing. Do you smoke a pipe in public in Dublin? I've not seen that in 10 years except for university professors and the like.
    Sometimes smoke a pipe in Fibbers. Depends on the mood.

If you see a tall lad with a beard and shaved head, wearing a full length black trenchcoat, smoking a black shiny pipe, nearby a place playing heavy metal, it's most likely me.

OT and aside...
    Did I meet you (very briefly) going into to Amanda Palmers 'Evelyn Evelyn' gig with Thaed?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

OldGoat wrote: »
    OT and aside...
    Did I meet you (very briefly) going into to Amanda Palmers 'Evelyn Evelyn' gig with Thaed?
    No idea. Most likely not. Saying that, I forget who Thead is IRL.

Actually, no, not me. Just checked out who "Amanda Palmers" is. Doubt I'd ever be near that sort of gig. I have glasses. There is a mod who is tall, bearded (forget his name) who also smokes (dunno if he smokes a pipe, though), who you could be thinking of, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

i have a good trick. i smoke rollies, but on a night out i have my rollies tucked away nicely in my back pocket and i keep an empty 20 box in my shirt pocket.
    so when someone comes up and says 'sorry blud do ye have a spare smoke?' i whip out the empty box and say 'sorry bud none left!'. they always nod and say no bother. it has never but never ever failed me!

call me scabby but hey, times are hard... ;)

So much easier just to say 'No.'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

OldGoat wrote: »
    So much easier just to say 'No.'

+ 1 ..... I dunno why anyone should feel embarrassed at refusing cigarettes to complete strangers , I don't ask strangers for ciggies so I feel 100% justified in refusing them to other strangers .
    Times are bloody hard and they are now very expensive , I reckon if you cant afford cigarettes then give up smoking.

I'm not a mean person but Jesus I'm sick of being approached constantly by people looking for smokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

silverhare wrote: »
    Also, I look like a homeless guy most of the time. It really helps.

Yeah, I only ever get asked for cigarettes when clean shaven. When sporting a rough beard or a good week's worth of stubble no one bothers me. On a pipe now, so less of a bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

from past experience, saying no has gotten me a broken nose and 3 black eyes. a modern approach has seen me leave the club with my body intact. works for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

When strangers and more predominantly 12 year olds ask me for one I always say its my last one, doesn't happen that much. One guy asked me if i had a smoke i said I was out and he saw me rolling a minute later and gave me a dirty look for lying, like hello of course I would be because I'm not working, not getting dole, and you don't need need a cigarette.. if you smoke go buy some the shop is just there.

But I can't say no to friends :( I don't mind if they've just realised they ran out and not near a shop that's fine but when they let themselves run out or pretending they don't have any then using massive wads of my tobacco rolling minute cigars when they always make them thin with their own, people are so transparent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

kkdela6 wrote: »
    from past experience, saying no has gotten me a broken nose and 3 black eyes. a modern approach has seen me leave the club with my body intact. works for me :)

Jesus that's though going kkdela6, I tend to just say no, if pushed I'll follow it up with a fu*k off and if that fails a good puck always works.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kudos73

Best I've seen is a bloke walking in front of me with his kid, a bloke comes over and asks the dad for a 'spare cigarette'. The dad bluntly said, No.

the guy walked off and as the Dad and his son walked on the son turns to his dad and says, 'but dad you have a box of em' and

the dad said...
    'I know, but I have none to spare'

made me chuckle

But 2 main things bug me...

1. is when a youngfella passes me and taps me for a fag, with a bag of cans in his hands

2. when your out for a drink and have to go for a smoke outside... It must be like shooting fish in a barrell for the tappers!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭patdshaker

OT slightly but the worst are the scumbags in school uniforms standing outside shops asking everyone to buy them fags (especially when the shopkeeper is looking out the window at them the whole time)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I remember about a year ago I was having my usual king edward and Black Coffee :cool: by the corner of Dawson St. Anyway cue the dirtest looking scumbag to grace our streets approach me " Stooooory buuuuud, got a spare cig"? Sorry I said, I don't smoke cigerattes these are cigars.

To which he made the campest of poses whilst saying "Eeeeewwwwww"
    That made my day! He deserved a carton of 200 for that!:D

Zombie thread is zombie.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement