Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Begging Cigarettes ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Mac2010

Mr.S wrote: »
    I was in a club recently, went out to have a smoke and was putting the cig to my mouth, when some girl just comes up, takes it out of my hand and gives me some puppy eyes, and puts it in her mouth :eek: then has the cheek to ask me for a light?!

hahaha that's funny.:D I give smokes if I'm in great mood.hate some people who ask for a fag and put it on his/her ears and asks for another one for his Daddy.happened twice.if someone asks me for a Cig in a proper way I'd give him.NOT giving to junkies and liars who ask "u wudn't have a spare smoke would ya?!" if they get one just after that " God bless you, let me see your palm i think you got great future blah blah..." really pisses me off that kinda stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

i hate getting asked for one, even when i dont smoke

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

When I smoked (I only vape on my silver bullet e-cig now) - I used to have dodgy people coming up to me all the time asking for a cigarette. Usually I would be so flabbergasted and intimidated I would just hand over a cigarette without question. Worst is when they then follow up cheekly asking for two.

I am so happy I stopped smoking normal cigarettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Oh no, you're not handing out dodgy spliffs to foreigners?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

OP - Don't ever light a smoke up in any public place in France, it's infuriating the amount of times you get asked that question, if you said yes every time a pack would literally last you a few hours at most.

Really annoys me too as I would never ask a complete stranger for one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Got a good one for you folks - I ran into a guy I hadn't seen for years the other day , we were having a smoke and a total skanger asked us for a spare , we told her to get fukked and she sloped off after calling us mean cnuts , etc.
    My pal qualified as a Paramedic/E.M.T. a couple of years ago and the above incident got us talking about the difficulty of having a smoke in peace these days. He was telling me he was doing duty in The Point / 02 for a concert and a dishy looking American woman asked him for a cigarette ( she saw them in his shirt pocket ).
    Given that she was a babe he obliged and got chatting to her - turned out she was the star of the show - none other than Christina Aguilera herself !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

delancey42 wrote: »
    Got a good one for you folks - I ran into a guy I hadn't seen for years the other day , we were having a smoke and a total skanger asked us for a spare , we told her to get fukked and she sloped off after calling us mean cnuts , etc.
    My pal qualified as a Paramedic/E.M.T. a couple of years ago and the above incident got us talking about the difficulty of having a smoke in peace these days. He was telling me he was doing duty in The Point / 02 for a concert and a dishy looking American woman asked him for a cigarette ( she saw them in his shirt pocket ).
    Given that she was a babe he obliged and got chatting to her - turned out she was the star of the show - none other than Christina Aguilera herself !!

Ah i dont think that was a cigarette your friend was smoking judging by that story.

Ah i dont think that was a cigarette your friend was smoking judging by that story.

Nope a Marlboro light is what she got.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cedan

Only found this a problem in Dublin, never asked for a smoke anywhere else ive ever been!

I used to just say, oh I dont have any but I got this off that fella up there, then pointed in a random direction and pretended to look for him! Whether they knew I was telling them to **** off in a nice way or they believed me it always worked.:D

When I go out though I throw them out like sweets at halloween.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭marglin

have once been reduced to asking strangers for a single fag between me and my brother(we shared and thanked the guy) i have to say it was the worst feeling ever..
    asking off friends is fine i know it goes around again and i always stump up when its my turn
    wat p**ses me off though around dublin is skangers, who dont even look like they want a fag, they're just standing around, asking ya and feeling entitled!
    if you're weak they have the cheek to ask for another
    once i nearly got mugged for refusing to give a skanger a rollie, he stuck his hand in my pocket and grabbed my wallet, i then offered him the rollie instead( i grabbed my wallet) and he thought better of it.
    having said that though after my own scabbing experience i always try to donate a rollie back unless im in a genuine rush

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

I live in a bottom floor apartment in cork city and last week I was smokin out the sitting-room window and a fella walking up the street stopped and asked me did I have a spare fag?! Can't even enjoy a smoke in my own house without being bothered :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

ciaradx wrote: »
    I live in a bottom floor apartment in cork city and last week I was smokin out the sitting-room window and a fella walking up the street stopped and asked me did I have a spare fag?! Can't even enjoy a smoke in my own house without being bothered :/

ha ha that sounds like where i live, i know the feeling i used to live on a ground floor too but i was at back of house then so id go out front door for a smoke, not too many people would ask me though but what i hated was random junkies and alcos would try to start up a conversation and hang around..

every now and again this neighbour of mine would be at his front door looking up and down the street like an eagle searching for "victims". he is unbelievable, i know his whistle so i always ignore it.. he dont even smoke weed/hash or drink just loves cigarettes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ilovejames

:mad:

A friend in college constantly asks me to leave her "twos" on my smoke. Everyday just as i am about halfway and enjoying it, she asks. Really gets on my nerves. Worst thing is one day she whipped out a full pack of smokes after scabbing off us all day. Im too soft. Shes drives an audi..i drive a corsa pffft may start scabbing :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Redsquigy

My boyfriend who is an unemployed lorry driver was asked by a foreign national in Swords last week (who he knew is working with his last employer) for two cigarettes (never mind one) he said to him "f*** off you got me job now you want my cigarettes" - Glad I wasn't with him I would have been mortified but I had to laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭minty16

Lots of ****ing scabby ****ers on here! I'd never give a ciggarette to a junkie or a child but apart from that I'd always say yes. Jesus Christ if someone wants a smoke bad enough to ask a stranger then give it ffs. 40 cent is **** all, and I'm broke. And yes I have asked for a smoke a few times, but only if i was very desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Tone down the lingo please.

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Cpt Tremendous

I smoke rollies and I have to say it makes it far easier to avoid giving away smokes. People still ask for them, but once I say I only have rollies then they don't seem arsed.

They either can't roll or aren't willing to wait. If someone asks me for a skin then chances are I will help them out.

The only time I've ever been really annoyed by it is when I was in the smoking area of a club rolling one and talking to a mate, just as I was lighting it a girl walked over and asked me if I'd roll one for her. I told her no and she seemed to think I was joking because she hung around for a minute, then got the hint.

minty16 wrote: »
    Lots of ****ing scabby ****ers on here! I'd never give a ciggarette to a junkie or a child but apart from that I'd always say yes. Jesus Christ if someone wants a smoke bad enough to ask a stranger then give it ffs. 40 cent is **** all, and I'm broke. And yes I have asked for a smoke a few times, but only if i was very desperate.

I see your point minty - you would ask a stranger for a cigarette and therefore you feel it would be wrong to refuse a smoke to someone if the circumstances were reversed .... fair enough.
    The thing with me is that I have never and would never ask for a fag from a stranger so thus I don't feel under any pressure to give them one when they ask :)
    Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander and all that.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

....the drunk girl, flirts with you to get the cig and then ****s off....

read my mind when i was reading this thread. immediately thought of the same trick women do.

I was in a club recently, went out to have a smoke and was putting the cig to my mouth, when some girl just comes up, takes it out of my hand and gives me some puppy eyes, and puts it in her mouth :eek: then has the cheek to ask me for a light?!

Wa*ker.
    Utter wa*ker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Dr. Jonathan Crane

I've taken to not smoking at all when I'm out around Dublin city centre. Scumbags <Mod snip>, they'll take you for all you're worth.

I'll usually give one to the poor homeless man with the beard, I'm not that hard up to not give away one cigarette, especially when I smoke rollies! Always get a thank you and a smile, sometimes even an offer of hash.

College is different, friends and I have an unwritten rule, someone gives you a cigarette when you have none, you throw them one back when they have none.

Mod Edit: Lets not point fingers in a generalising way at an entire nation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

I'm pretty sound when it comes to dispensing cigarettes but sometimes it gets wearing. I've recently stopped buying 20s of fags cos it's significantly cheaper to roll. But the amount of times I've been out with my friends from home (one of whom will slag me relentlessly for smoking in the first place) and they've had a drink or two and come begging for smokes is just ridiculous.

I've begged a few in my time but never from a stranger. I'd feel very awkward about it! If it's a reciprocal thing between you and a friend I reckon it's ok.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

No one ever asks for a spare cuban cigar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

A mate of mine used to make rollies out dried grass and dog sh1te for these bums.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

aujopimur wrote: »
    A mate of mine used to make rollies out dried grass and dog sh1te for these bums.

That is beautiful. He didn't have any problem handling dog sh1te no?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I'm pretty sound when it comes to dispensing cigarettes but sometimes it gets wearing. I've recently stopped buying 20s of fags cos it's significantly cheaper to roll. But the amount of times I've been out with my friends from home (one of whom will slag me relentlessly for smoking in the first place) and they've had a drink or two and come begging for smokes is just ridiculous.I've begged a few in my time but never from a stranger. I'd feel very awkward about it! If it's a reciprocal thing between you and a friend I reckon it's ok.

It is amazing the amount of people that dont smoke but when after a few drinks, they go ya, I must try that, particulary when out for work-drinks. It can get annoying alright.

Regards beggars, it depends what mood im in or where i am. If im just walking along, i generally dont, if im standing in the one spot waiting for something i might, just to get the heroin addict (generalisation maybe)out of my face. It also depends on the person, you can sometimes tell who is genuinely stuck for a smoke or the person that just begs for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭davedfc

Im a casual smoker myself but id always have my own smokes with me scabbing smokes is just annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭patdshaker

The only time I ever bummed for fags was when I was drunk and broke. I had a lighter and was asked 2/3 times for a light I got 3 fags and shared them
    Regarding bums I live in a house of 4 smokers i refuse to give a fag to 1 lad (from Dublin by coincidence) because he would never pay them back whereas the others while they wouldnt pay them back straight away all got me a pack for christmas its the thought that counts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Chewabacca wrote: »
    Actually I have to post this gem of a story.

Me and a few friends were walking up the street in Galway City at around midnight. This 15-16 year old scummer emerges from an alley and shouts "you, have ye any fags, rollie's, anyten?"

This girl was a proper scummer, not the kind who's mommy buys them €150 nike TN's every other week so just in case I said "sorry, don't smoke".

This knack replied in disgust "So ur tellin me that none of ye smawk?"

"Sorry", we reply and walk on. Next thing we know we hear that excuse of a human being shouting "I asked them for a fag and they called me a whore". Next thing we know lads are roaring at us and the usual do we stop and sort it out or keep walking conversation goes on. Thank god our mates brother was, for whatever fluke reason, with them and stopped them from kicking the sh*te out of us.

I have a similar story. One of my favourite things has always been a relaxing minutes with a fag and a coffee, of course outside of home the only place you can do this halfway comfortably anymore is on the side of the street outside a coffee shop. One of the most obvious junkies I've ever seen came up to me and asked me for a cigarette, lazily I said sorry, can't afford it. He then asked me for a euro, I couldn't help but smile, I replied "So I refuse to give you one fag, and you decide to effectively ask me for two?"
    He stumbled off cursing. Just as I was finishing off my coffee he wandered back with a tiny young woman (in a similar state) in tow: "Dis is me sistahh!! Tell'er wat ya said ta me, go on tell her."
    "What? That I wouldn't give you a fag?"
    "She called me a knack so she did, dats insultin' to our her'tigh so tis."
    "Trust me I never use the word knack" I really don't, I use every other word but not that one, "and for your information, you are no traveller, you're from the flats, get over it."
    Well they didn't like that very much, the girl piped up after a moments silence "Look I don't want teh fight yez I'm onna warren'"
    I hadn't even bothered to stand up at this stage, so I don't know where that idea came from "That's the last of your worries girl, but if it is the case, I'd advise you to f off."
    They got really confused, the girl apologised, and they scarpered, they never do expect someone to give as good as they get. I noticed the guy staring at me from down the road, he stayed there for a good 20min, so I ordered another coffee and chain smoked because the look on his face was priceless and it just kept getting better!

Now I normally just growl no at them before they even finish the question, that's the beggers, not the few who seem genuinely stuck, it's simple but it works.
    Regarding the culture of scabbing them abroad, I spent a lot of time in Italy and yes the fags are cheap there, truly cheap enough to give away off the black market, but the people who are scabbing are taking you for a ride. It would be very unseemly for a middle class or decent working class person to do that, so its the exact same deal as it is here, a bunch of lazy chancers. The less native you look the more you get it because they know foreigners believe its just that lovely open culture. So I always politely decline abroad, and they never question it like they would here.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 silverhare

If an obvious beggar approaches me I stare hard and say 'No!' the instant they make eye contact. On rare occasions one of them will say something along the lines of scabby 'so and so' to which I reply, 'who's the one being a scab?'.

A couple of years ago, when this scabbing lark started to get really bad I switched to a pipe.

Also, I look like a homeless guy most of the time. It really helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

silverhare wrote: »
    A couple of years ago, when this scabbing lark started to get really bad I switched to a pipe.

That's amazing. Do you smoke a pipe in public in Dublin? I've not seen that in 10 years except for university professors and the like.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement