Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Begging Cigarettes ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

delancey42 wrote: »
    Don't take it personally but I have to say you richly deserved it :p:p

As for taking butts from strangers ashtrays ? Thanks but no thanks - has anyone ever heard of Hepatitis ?:eek:

any worse than cancer????? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Yes, I've really noticed it too. I do be sneaking them out of my pocket.
    You gotta learn to tell them to "go f**k themselves". Unless she's hot :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

the_syco wrote: »
    You gotta learn to tell them to "go f**k themselves". Unless she's hot :cool:

FFS Syco thats the triumph of optimism over experience if ever I saw it - the fellas are gougers and the girls are Grade A Scrubbers. I will admit though that if a babe like Kelly Brook asked me for one , how could I, a Gentleman , refuse ?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭dannyluvsu

FFS Syco thats the triumph of optimism over experience if ever I saw it - the fellas are gougers and the girls are Grade A Scrubbers. I will admit though that if a babe like Kelly Brook asked me for one , how could I, a Gentleman , refuse ?

+1 ;)

Thats a shocking story Face - is it just me or is this whole thing of strangers begging ciggies a new phenomenon ? I don't remember it always being like this - it seems to have become a big problem in the last 5 years and long before the recession hit.
    Or has it always been this bad and I lived in blissful innocence ?

The scumbags have multiplied. And so has their sense on entitlement.

• Advertisement

Scummer: refused
    Hot goth... rolled and here ya go...

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

never give them to girls in pub/club smokin areas as there always looking for cigarettes for the lad their with or their fat friend , or scummers , will give one to mates or someone ive been talking to for a while

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

In this sense rollies are a lifesaver. All you have to say is 'I've only got rollies'. One particularly pathetic looking homeless man who was on my route to college last year used to get one every day off me though. I built up a rapport with him. He was of the rollie school of thought. Not enough people like him. :)

the_syco wrote: »
    Hot goth... rolled and here ya go...

:pac:

Ah , I suppose 1 out of 10 ain't bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Face1990s story reminds me of something that happened to me a week or 2 ago. I was walking home from the girlfriends house and haveing a rollie as I went. I walk through the carpark of a shopping centre as a short cut home. It was about half 1 in the morning and as I'm walking through I see a car parked. As I walk past a scumbag shouts "here! give us a fag bey." I just went "Sorry man I've none left." Cue him and his friend getting out of the car and running after me screaming for a cigarette. They saw where I was headed towards and all hopped back into the car and tore down the road after me screaming. I managed to hide and they left after a while but I was terrified. I can't help feel that if I smoke in public, I make myself a prime target for scumbags. A sad state of affairs =/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I've only had that in Belgium where smokes are cheap and in Dublin from Spanish students (where smokes are even cheaper).

I just ignore them or give them a gallic-shrug and keep on swiftly moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Lorri_L

I have no problem giving a friend a smoke but I'm out of work at the mo and I swear in the past week I've been stopped on the street by people I don't know that I recognise from the welfare office! Chances are I get paid the same as them!No way are they getting a smoke of me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

I was in a busy pub fri nite was just askin a guy for a lighter. That was grand then he wanted a fag for the use of his lighter, So i was kinda caught off guard couldn't really say no...

Then i seen the same guy about half hr later doing the same thing~ i guess its a clever enough idea if you dont want to buy your own :rolleyes:

That is a lousy , low and mean trick - guy sounds like a dickhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

When i was serving my time as a bricklayer i worked with mostly smokers and everyone that smoked looked after each other if we were stuck.
    However there is always one f*cker who takes the this biscuit!
    One of the lads was that mean he would say he'd spent all his money on the drink at the weekend and was giving the smoking up, this was every monday, and by lunch time he'd smoked 3 or 4 smokes he'd scabbed. This went on all the time until we all told him to go and kiss where the sun shine. That very day i sent a labourer down to my car to get a bottle of water and when he came back he said "the f*cker" was after getting into my car and taking my spare smokes:D!
    Not to say life was a bit hard for that lad after that day and he wasnt long at the company after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Pittybitty

I get it every day - especially at the Luas stop I use (Heuston) You just know them by sight so I only tend to light up if there are security around or if there are lots of people on the platform. I have also been known to hide behind the information displays! Smokes are too expensive to be handing out and I will only give them to people I know or homeless people but never to scangers. I've been called so many names for not giving them out I'm getting used to it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Pittybitty wrote: »
    I get it every day - especially at the Luas stop I use (Heuston) You just know them by sight so I only tend to light up if there are security around or if there are lots of people on the platform. I have also been known to hide behind the information displays! Smokes are too expensive to be handing out and I will only give them to people I know or homeless people but never to scangers. I've been called so many names for not giving them out I'm getting used to it!!!

And it's a sad day when we feel like we must hide in order to have a smoke so as to avoid hassle. I know how you feel,i've done the same myself tbh.

Its a pity we have to hide but it seems to be the norm these days. Its terrible to be called names for not giving someone something of your own property, I always feel like these people think they deserve them - maybe I'm just being mean but its my hard earned money LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Pittybitty wrote: »
    Its a pity we have to hide but it seems to be the norm these days. Its terrible to be called names for not giving someone something of your own property, I always feel like these people think they deserve them - maybe I'm just being mean but its my hard earned money LOL

I think some of it stems back to years ago when cigarettes were 'relatively' cheap and people didn't mind sharing. Now though with the price being so expensive there's no way i'm handing out any unless it's a good friend.

Yup! I agree :)

• Advertisement

I'm finding half the people who ask are the scumbags who wouldn't get served them in shops...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Outside a bar after the Leinster game tonight, I was blowing smoke rings when a knacker-scumbag-beggar approached.

Knacker/Scumbag/Beggar: Can I borrow a smoke, mate?
    Me: When will I get it back?
    K/S/B: I mean, could you give me one?
    Me: I could, yes, in that it's physically possible. But I'm not inclined to. What are you offering me?
    K/S/B: Whaddaya mean?
    Me: Minimum bid is 43 cent.
    K/S/B: Ya wha?
    Me: That's how much they cost each. Feel free to pay more.

K/S/B stumbles off muttering profanities. I blow more smoke rings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

It is a very common practice in France.

Excellent stuff - way to go !!

Outside a bar after the Leinster game tonight, I was blowing smoke rings when a knacker-scumbag-beggar approached.

Knacker/Scumbag/Beggar: Can I borrow a smoke, mate?
    Me: When will I get it back?
    K/S/B: I mean, could you give me one?
    Me: I could, yes, in that it's physically possible. But I'm not inclined to. What are you offering me?
    K/S/B: Whaddaya mean?
    Me: Minimum bid is 43 cent.
    K/S/B: Ya wha?
    Me: That's how much they cost each. Feel free to pay more.

K/S/B stumbles off muttering profanities. I blow more smoke rings.

I blow more smoke rings.
    I've never quite gotten the hang of that. How does one blow smoke rings?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭dannyluvsu

Hahaha, Cavehill that's legendary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 allaction22

I never smoked a fag until i was 37 years old..3 years ago. Then started smoking a hamlet cigar when I was having a pint. Now I'm on between 5 and 10 a day. If it's late in the pub and I've smoked all my cigars I'll nick a fag off a good buddy...there's three or four lads always give me one.

Would this be pissing them off I wonder...they don't usually complain or anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Morrigin

I never smoked a fag until i was 37 years old..3 years ago. Then started smoking a hamlet cigar when I was having a pint. Now I'm on between 5 and 10 a day. If it's late in the pub and I've smoked all my cigars I'll nick a fag off a good buddy...there's three or four lads always give me one.

Would this be pissing them off I wonder...they don't usually complain or anything

I don't think it's an issue when it's a friend - it's when a complete stranger - usually a teenager or a skanger (or a teenage skanger :D) does it that it annoys people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I don't buy ciggies and hence I have no idea of the cost of a pack of 20. What is the (avg) cost of a single ciggy?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

43 cent or so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement