Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hanging a gate from a block wall

• 19-01-2021 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭

Need to hang a 12ft field gate off a solid block wall . Was planing on drilling the wall and attaching a log flat piece of steel on each side of the wall and welding the gale hangers on . My thinking is the steel.would mean spreading the weight of the gate over a number of the blocks in the wall . Any tips or advise

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭minerleague

trixi2011 wrote: »
    Need to hang a 12ft field gate off a solid block wall . Was planing on drilling the wall and attaching a log flat piece of steel on each side of the wall and welding the gale hangers on . My thinking is the steel.would mean spreading the weight of the gate over a number of the blocks in the wall . Any tips or advise

sounds good, just at top of gate you could weld round pipe to threaded bar that passes through wall to be able to adjust gate sagging over time. most people hang gates using spirit level but over time gate and hangers wear and gate drops at end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

or leave it an inch or so higher at the free end so that over time it'll go towards level, not away from level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

trixi2011 wrote: »

Drill a hole right through the wall that’ll take a 22mm threaded rod. Weld a bit of pipe onto the end of the threaded rod as your hangers. Use a good flat plate either side of the wall as a big washer. Have loads of gates hung like this. It’s simple and it lasts and as another poster says it can be adjusted to keep it level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭893bet

Why not just use hangers and decent anchor bolts? Assuming wall is in decent nick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

893bet wrote: »
    Why not just use hangers and decent anchor bolts? Assuming wall is in decent nick.

Just because they work on farms doesn't mean they're cowboys. Stick to pointing out 5euro rolexes on adverts mate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭893bet

TheW1zard wrote: »
    Just because they work on farms doesn't mean they're cowboys. Stick to pointing out 5euro rolexes on adverts mate

A very valuable contribution.

To the OP I have yet to have a problem with the below. And for a 12 foot gate I can’t see how you would have an issue either as long as no one is climbing over the gate at the far end. Drilling the right size and depth hole for the anchor bolts is key.

https://www.croninshardware.ie/product/horizontal-plate-gate-hanger-top?gclid=CjwKCAiAxp-ABhALEiwAXm6IyaslO9Re8HqeGycsq_M2fPYhZ56XQtTnIduC31VDs9v2RLSOHVOW2hoCN0MQAvD_BwE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Anchor bolts will fail eventually on a block wall.
    The hanger in the link above is fine but secure it with threaded rods going right through the block.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,619 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

To the OP I have yet to have a problem with the below. And for a 12 foot gate I can’t see how you would have an issue either as long as no one is climbing over the gate at the far end. Drilling the right size and depth hole for the anchor bolts is key.

https://www.croninshardware.ie/product/horizontal-plate-gate-hanger-top?gclid=CjwKCAiAxp-ABhALEiwAXm6IyaslO9Re8HqeGycsq_M2fPYhZ56XQtTnIduC31VDs9v2RLSOHVOW2hoCN0MQAvD_BwE

There’s always some gowl that hop up on the end of a gate like it’s was some sort of obstacle on Ireland’s fittest family.

Threaded bar through the wall is the best job in the long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

good response, I've read nasty comments before but that one reminds me of "The Valley of the Squinting Windows".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Drill a hole right through the wall that’ll take a 22mm threaded rod. Weld a bit of pipe onto the end of the threaded rod as your hangers. Use a good flat plate either side of the wall as a big washer. Have loads of gates hung like this. It’s simple and it lasts and as another poster says it can be adjusted to keep it level.

Something like this just make sure to get a bigger plate as a washer.

https://www.glanbiaconnect.com/shop/product/Threaded-Gate-Hanger-12in-x-3-4in/9001713

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

A large Flat Plate on the other side of the wall is the business ( as rightly pointed out in earlier posts the flat bar spreads the load when gated is under prfessure. )
    The threaded bar provides instant adjustment when things sag a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

or leave it an inch or so higher at the free end so that over time it'll go towards level, not away from level

ah that's rooting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭MfMan

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Anchor bolts will fail eventually on a block wall.
    The hanger in the link above is fine but secure it with threaded rods going right through the block.

Don't say that; half my place will fall down if true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭MfMan

FRS Cahir (online) the cheapest place I've found for these, if you could buy enough stuff to make the €10 postage worth it. (Or spend over €150 to get it sent free).

Advertisement