Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barley as feed

• 18-01-2021 11:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭

Lads would rolled barely be ok for calves and weanlings wats yer thoughts

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Needs supplemental protein and minerals. We would have added soy to it to raise the P, powdered mineral on top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

No would be my thought.
    Oats are better, but you'd be still better off with a nut or ration as it has some level of protein and minerals.
    If you must then mix with a beef nut to make it more palatable

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

No would be my thought.
    Oats are better, but you'd be still better off with a nut or ration as it has some level of protein and minerals.
    If you must then mix with a beef nut to make it more palatable

Have done this the last few years with stores. Beef nut mixed roughly 50/50 with the rolled barley. Getting 2kg and stock do well. Also leave a bucket mineral lick in the yard.
    Know it would be cheaper to use powered minerals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

I always feed it here to cows with nuts and maize/soybean. Give it to calves too mixed with calf but. Never an issue eating it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

Ya they do like it but I just dont see any improvement on them I'll prob go with a few bags of nuts through it aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

lab man wrote: »
    Ya they do like it but I just dont see any improvement on them I'll prob go with a few bags of nuts through it aswell

At 11-12% P it will take a fair bit to get small stock growing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

It's very cheap though 10e for a big bag from a guy from Galway Galway selling it I buy 8 to 10 bags a week of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Buy some soya bean meal and shake on top of it in the trough. Put in a mineral bucket or mix some trough the sbm first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I always feed young/yearling stock rolled oats with maize meal during their first Winter.
    Edit to add - all our young stock get 2 Smartrace mineral boluses in Autumn.

Advertisement