Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physiotherapy

Options
  • 18-12-2020 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

I went to the physiotherapist for a sharp pain under my shoulder blade on Monday.
    Tuesday and Wednesday I felt like I'd been shot under the other shoulder.
    Thursday I tried to do the simple exercises. Oh Dear me!
    Today I'm thinking the cure was worse than the illness, and the bullet wound is slightly less sore but I'm sleep deprived because horizontal is dreadful and I can't move in the bed.
    A friend told me physio is supposed to hurt.
    Well, really? Is that true?
    I had a trapped nerve in my shoulder a long time ago and the physiotherapist pulled my arm and twisted it around a bit and jigged it back and forth and it was brilliant, gone!
    I was expecting much the same this time.
    I could understand pain for something major. I don't know - recovering from an accident or a sport injury where your muscles and ligaments have been shredded.
    So, is one meant to suffer under the hands of a physiotherapist or, da-da-da-da, did I encounter a sadist:eek::D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,671 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No, physio is not supposed to hurt. And certainly to that level.

Back to the GP for a referral to a more competent one.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

I think you're right, I'll go to someone else.
    Thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭1cxb0tkuav6p4l

What was the exercise out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

One was this:
    place one hand on worktop, bend over at waist bring head down to the level of the worktop and shuffle back wards so that arm is extended.
    Swing other arm and if possible head, to the out to the side under the extended arm and hold.
    Another was supine on the floor, knees bent, lowering them to one side while stretching torso with hands together in the opposite direction.
    They are all I remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭1cxb0tkuav6p4l

Sounds like stretches for Lats and QL's according to how you describe it.

If you had pain under the shoulder blade that's typically the subscapularis.

Exercises for internal/external rotation of the rotator cuff may be more appropriate, though you'd be best consulting a physio more well equipped in weight bearing exercise (fastest means to attain muscle and spasm release).

• Advertisement
Advertisement