Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wonder Woman 1984

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,666 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

PsychoPete wrote: »
    WW84 has already dropped to 66% on rotten tomatoes

how does the audience score work at the moment, normally verified means you had bought a cinema ticket. are they allowing reviews from people who watched on cable?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

did WW cheat at the start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Thats a terrible a movie with so many plot holes and plot devices.

Expected more as the 1st was very good.

silverharp wrote: »
    how does the audience score work at the moment, normally verified means you had bought a cinema ticket. are they allowing reviews from people who watched on cable?

The tomato score is based on reviewers not audience. It's open to manipulation. Most early reviews may just have or may not have got gifts (total speculation on my part).

I'm glad a third movie is being made, and in fairness the plot seems to have been based on comics. Hopefully there are better stories out there, this was just awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

did WW cheat at the start?

Yeah she did and also missed a checkpoint, don't know why she thought she'd get away with it lol

The tomato score is based on reviewers not audience. It's open to manipulation. Most early reviews may just have or may not have got gifts (total speculation on my part).

I'm glad a third movie is being made, and in fairness the plot seems to have been based on comics. Hopefully there are better stories out there, this was just awful.

RT have both, a critics score and an audience score. Its been noted that the critics scores dropped once the embargo ended, basically the early reviews would be shilling the movie even if it was bad they wouldnt come out and say it.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

RT have both, a critics score and an audience score. it.

I think the tomato is solely based on reviewers and popcorn (verified and unverified) is for the audience scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

RT have both, a critics score and an audience score. Its been noted that the critics scores dropped once the embargo ended, basically the early reviews would be shilling the movie even if it was bad they wouldnt come out and say it.

Yeah it was likely a bit of schilling was going on but you get that with every big release.

Something in the mid sixties to mid seventies was what I was expecting for a long time anyway. The second the film was delayed for the first time, and this was before the pandemic, I suspected something was up. The VLOGGERS only added fuel to the fire suggesting the film was a mess.

All this being said I'd still maintain RT's whole system is kaput. They added hundreds upon hundreds of verified reviewers last year or the year before, and these people only turn up with a review when it's a big budget film being released. It's hard to take such people seriously as "verified" critics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Watched this with my 7 year old son. He enjoyed the first one but got very bored quickly with this one and left to play Lego.

Have to say it was a bit of a mess of a movie and the fighter jet scene was my last straw and couldn't really enjoy the film at all.
    This film basically wraps up what 2020 was.....a ****show!

• Advertisement

This was bland. How do you make a WW film bland???

Gadot, Pascal, Wiig, Pine all do well with what they are given. It's just that they were not given much other than set piece after set piece.

It felt like Jenkins was doing an homage to Donner's Superman but with none of the charm.
    It actually does feel like an 80s superhero film, which I have to assume was intentional, but not in a good way. It came off more like Supergirl 1984 in pacing and story layout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Terrible film. Loved the first one. The story was pants. The 1980s were totally underused. Plot holes everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I’m right now not prepared to ever watch this film again. It was frankly terrible.

Spoiler Thoughts Below:

The opening sequence with young Diana was the best bit of the movie.

The first scene in the 80’s with a woman nearly getting ran over and a bride falling from a bridge was completely stupid and it was very convenient that WW happened to be in the right place at the right time but it was good fun. Same goes for the shopping mall scene. That gets a pass.

Having Steve Trevor in this movie was pointless. He done nothing. Too much time spent on them lovingly gazing into each others eyes while the world was in jeopardy. Don’t even get me started on the rape scenario because the first thing I thought of was that this poor bloke has had his body snatched and for all we know he is dead and Diana or Steve couldn’t care less.

The kids playing football on a road in the middle of nowhere was beyond ridiculous. Diana swooping down and snatching them at the speed she was going would have broke their necks. The fall and roll would have at worse killed them. But no they’re fine.

Steve saying some nonsense about feeling the wind gave Diana the ability to fly. Tut. And don’t talk to me about the stupidity of the invisible jet and how Steve can fly it.

The lasso was completely over done. It seemed to be able to do anything. There’s no limit to its length, its strength, its magical ability to give people visions of a story Diana wants to tell you.

Kristen Wiig was actually not bad but such a generic character arc from a dorky nobody to super villain. Gave me Jamie Foxx Electro vibes.

Pedro Pascal was very good but i think they overshot the “wish” thing and smashed their own rules.

The ending was awful. So what happened to the Russian nukes in the air? America had “wished” nukes which disappeared but the other nukes were real. Where did they land?

The ramifications from that sort of chaos across the world would be unthinkable. But no one seemed to mind. I don’t think anyone on camera actually died in this movie so I guess we just assume everyone lived and forgot about it.

Why did it have to have a Christmas sene at the end? So it’s a Christmas movie i guess.

Last Thought...

Where’s Lynda Carters accent? Surely she should sound like Gal Gadot and the rest of the Amazonians.

Well done, GPSfan, that pretty much sumed up most of the issues I had, but couldn't bring myself to type out.

On GPSFan final thought
    Excepting Carter's terrible delivery, I assumed that she never made it to Themyscira and has been roaming around for several thousand years
    , so lost her accent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

GSPfan wrote: »

SPOILERS

Last Thought...

Where’s Lynda Carters accent? Surely she should sound like Gal Gadot and the rest of the Amazonians.

SPOILERS

Oh! I have an answer for this.
    Diana's 3000+ years old and Lynda' s character has been on Earth since the dawn of Themyscira... safe to say she lost it over thousands of years being away from her culture and people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,808 ✭✭✭micks_address

DeWitt wrote: »
    SPOILERS

Oh! I have an answer for this.
    Diana's 3000+ years old and Lynda' s character has been on Earth since the dawn of Themyscira... safe to say she lost it over thousands of years being away from her culture and people.

Except once you have an accent you never really loose it. The film was a such a disappointment to me. The first trailer was perfection and I should have known when most of it had appeared in the first 15 minutes of the movie it was a bad omen. The whole wish thing was just far to whimsical.

Except once you have an accent you never really loose it. The film was a such a disappointment to me. The first trailer was perfection and I should have known when most of it had appeared in the first 15 minutes of the movie it was a bad omen. The whole wish thing was just far to whimsical.

Yes you can. I certainly don't speak with the Norrie Cork accent I grew up with.

Yes you can. I certainly don't speak with the Norrie Cork accent I grew up with.

If only that was my only complaint about the movie:)

On GPSFan final thought
    Excepting Carter's terrible delivery, I assumed that she never made it to Themyscira and has been roaming around for several thousand years
    , so lost her accent

My Nana is 86, from Cork and has lived in Dublin for about 70 years. She still has that awful Cork accent! :):).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭kdevitt

The first scene in the 80’s with a woman nearly getting ran over and a bride falling from a bridge was completely stupid and it was very convenient that WW happened to be in the right place at the right time but it was good fun. Same goes for the shopping mall scene. That gets a pass.

Agreed on basically everything you said. Had actually forgotten about that 'hilarious' moment with the bride.

The shopping mall scene was awful imo - she knocks out cameras so as not to be seen, but spent an absolute eternity capturing the robbers again and again. She couldn't seem to decide on whether or not she wanted to be seen or not.

DC are doing a chronic job of world building it has to be said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

Except once you have an accent you never really loose it.
    Yep and science proved it when they interviewed that thousand year old ex pat. Bro, it's fantasy. Let it go.

for a 2 and half hour movie they couldn't have done a 5 or 10 intro showing how she was spending her life up to that point? was she ww-ening her way through the decades? was she a Big Foot story? then the whole competition at the beginning, I was just left wondering how a kid could out compete adults? again no explanation for her special powers.

The media are picking on the weird messaging in the movie

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danidiplacido/2020/12/26/the-warped-morality-of-wonder-woman-1984/?sh=35576a3c3e23

The whole flight scene didnt work, could a WW1 pilot just get into a 1980's military jet and just fly it, no explanation? also fighter jets have a range less than 1000miles , there is no conceivable way they were getting to Cairo on that yoke. Also given that they were ransacking the guy's apartment like a couple of psychopaths wasnt there a good chance he had a passport?

its like the movie was a bunch of tick boxes and very little time or consideration given how to link it all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Now that I think about it did they expect us to believe a woman that looks like gal cadot hasn’t had a man for over 70 years haha that’s even more unbelievable than the woman turning into the cat lady

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭kdevitt

for a 2 and half hour movie they couldn't have done a 5 or 10 intro showing how she was spending her life up to that point? was she ww-ening her way through the decades?

At least we got the Lucy Davis cameo, albeit in a photo, at the start. Thought also struck me that Lex Luther needn't have spent so much time trying to 'out' Diana in the original BvS movie when we now know there were plenty of sightings and news stories about her in the 80's!:D

biggebruv wrote: »
    Now that I think about it did they expect us to believe a woman that looks like gal cadot hasn’t had a man for over 70 years haha that’s even more unbelievable than the woman turning into the cat lady

Nah, that was the least implausible. It's not that she wasn't going to get plenty of offers, just that she was still in love with ST. Besides, battery technology came on Wonders. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I doubt Patty will be left anywhere near the writing of this I actually expect her to be replaced with the excuse of scheduling conflicts.

Yes its interesting to note that she had no writing input in the first film.
    I'm not a fan of Geoff Johns either.
    The script was like something written by a kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I'll probably wtch it later, and no doubt this has been mentioned by a tonne of people... but with 70+ years of material, why did they feel like writing new story was necessary... hs there been any comments about that?

I'll probably wtch it later, and no doubt this has been mentioned by a tonne of people... but with 70+ years of material, why did they feel like writing new story was necessary... hs there been any comments about that?

Seemingly there’s not enough rape material in the comics. :) They just had to create their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭dubguy45

That was 2.5 hours I will never get back.

dubguy45 wrote: »
    That was 2.5 hours I will never get back.

I think the way they (nearly all media at this stage) rate things, whether it's games or films, needs a serious overhaul. OR, we change how we consume reviews because it's clear now that it's not a case of 'they are more or less in line with what I thought of the film' but more 'did they see the same film I just watched?

This was a 13% film if a percentage is a good guage. Currently 65% on RT. They're not even in the right range for this film FFS. It was absolute dogs' sh*t. Sites like Rotten Tomatoes are hard to avoid online,without blocking them, and it has not helped film viewers one bit.

• Advertisement

That’s two films now where Diana uses the power of monologuing to defeat the bad guy.

Superman breaks necks and plunges spears into people.

Diana talks softly during a chaotic final scene and somehow inspires herself and the world to win. Impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

steamsey wrote: »
    I think the way they (nearly all media at this stage) rate things, whether it's games or films, needs a serious overhaul. OR, we change how we consume reviews because it's clear now that it's not a case of 'they are more or less in line with what I thought of the film' but more 'did they see the same film I just watched?

This was a 13% film if a percentage is a good guage. Currently 65% on RT. They're not even in the right range for this film FFS. It was absolute dogs' sh*t. Sites like Rotten Tomatoes are hard to avoid online,without blocking them, and it has not helped film viewers one bit.

The reviews for this were probably wrote before Dec 2019 and still used. I'd assume theres already some reviews wrote for the 3rd WW movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

That’s two films now where Diana uses the power of monologuing to defeat the bad guy.

Superman breaks necks and plunges spears into people.

Diana talks softly during a chaotic final scene and somehow inspires herself and the world to win. Impressive.

Thats because women are smart rational people...

That's a good read after you've seen the film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I doubt Patty will be left anywhere near the writing of this I actually expect her to be replaced with the excuse of scheduling conflicts.
    There are talks of the flash travelling back in time and rescuing Steve seconds before the plane blows up in the first movie and hiding him on the amazonian Island which will stop him aging that's one way they are thinking of how to bring Steve back

You read my mind.
    You've got the flash movie coming up and that's all about the changes of time he makes (or should I say mistakes) and you just know the movie studios will want to cast Chris Pine again (so many sequels are about rehashing the same themes) and Pine is a star so he must have brought a certain number of Box office appeal to the first and second.

I say you are spot on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I’m right now not prepared to ever watch this film again. It was frankly terrible.

The ending was awful. So what happened to the Russian nukes in the air? America had “wished” nukes which disappeared but the other nukes were real. Where did they land?

Spot on with your points GSP, what a truly awful film. The start was the best part, everything after that was ridiculous and just not enjoyable to watch. In relation to your nukes question - they exploded mid air. :rolleyes:

Dear lord what a terrible film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

Thought that was pretty brutal to be honest. And what was up with some of the CGI? Looked truly awful, like a bad mid 00s movie.

And that scene in the cafe with the Irish fella..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I watched this.
    After 15 minutes I sat back and said, I am going to enjoy this movie, its great.
    But right there it fell into a mess for the rest of the movie.

Thought that was pretty brutal to be honest. And what was up with some of the CGI? Looked truly awful, like a bad mid 00s movie.

Were they going for 1980s CGI? :rolleyes:

We've just had the most emotional scene in the movie and WW starts to run like Superman after he loses Lois, but its just comical. The intern looking after CGI that day needs to be sent back to college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,284 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Loads of plot holes and looked cheap at times, but I liked it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I really liked this, a lot more than the first one which left me pretty cold. It's fun and heartfelt and as others have said very Donner-esque.

I really liked this, a lot more than the first one which left me pretty cold. It's fun and heartfelt and as others have said very Donner-esque.

That's sort of got me intrigued again, I really miss that Donner style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I should have walked out after the scene is the supermarket/mall when she launched the bad guy through a drum and he he came out the other side on a spinning metal ring. Cartoonish stuff it was.

I thought it was a pile of hot garbage. The first WW was a great film, but WW84 was so far off the mark, I didn't see any connection with the first movie and it was just full of sexism and the nasty feminism. The Guardian article by Anna Smith asks if it's the first #metoo superhero movie. The article is full of nonsense, but is not the only one stirring the brown stuff and painting all men as sexual harassers.

Spoiler Alert: I suppose this lazy, biased journalist missed the part where Wonder Woman knowingly had sex with the body of a man without his consent....as the owner of the body was inhabited by the spirit of her long dead boyfriend. I think that's called rape. A person has to be conscious and in control of their body in order to consent, right? So, they've turned Wonder Woman into a rapist. Great work :rolleyes:

Stay Free

Just read a great comment...
    It was so bad i felt like getting up and leaving, and I watched it at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I was enjoying it up to the point where they leave the US. That's where it just fell apart. By the end it was just really boring. I was also really bothered by the total lack of fücks given by Diana and Steve about
    the man who's body Steve was inhabiting. Even if there was no 'monkey's paw' aspect of the wish, if Steve stuck around they were essentially killing a totally innocent man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Homelander

I am actually shocked by how poor this movie is. The actors do a pretty good job, Gal Gadot is great, as is Pedro Pascal who just radiates charisma, but the material they're given to work with is just so completely brain-dead.

I do think the first movie was a bit over-rated albeit an easy watch and solid enough, but it's an absolute master piece compared to this.

The first 45 minutes of 84 are quite good and full of promise - the initial opening ceremony/games scene is almost one of the best parts of the movie, and the general introduction of the characters and all the set pieces is pretty compelling, but it all falls apart extremely quickly around half way through and continues on a massive downward slide the whole way to the end.

The movie is absolutely riddled with stupid, blatant logic-defying acts and inconsistencies, none of which were summed up better than when
    Steve, who last flew a biplane in the First World War, climbs into an F16 fighter jet and casually knows straight away how to fly it.

I genuinely laughed in disbelief when someone a few pages back said it is one of the best movies they've ever seen, and another person suggested that people didn't like it because they were watching it at home and were probably distracted.

I would love to see the movie they saw to be honest. Unfortunately, having given my undivided attention for the entire 2h30m of its runtime, it's an absolute stinker, one of the worst of the superhero movies to date, most certainly the worst out of the DC roster anyway.

I'd say 4/10 is being generous, and most of those points go exclusively to the cast for doing an admirable job with such terrible material. Really taken back by how bad it is, it's made me much more appreciative of the first movie.

I don’t think it’s terrible. It’s just a less serious super hero movie based around the ideas of wishes and love. If you digest it on that level it’s fine. It’s just hard to take it very seriously but then maybe that’s the point. It’s fantasy so who cares if a jet can only fly 1000 miles or Steve is In a complete random body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

God what a pile of crap.
    Also what one op said about the
    guy whose body was taken over
    Pedro Pascal was brilliant in this but halfway through it the story completely falls to pieces and is a massive disappointment.
    I'm still thinking of the ending..wtf like???.
    Woeful woeful woeful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,284 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Spoilery image in relation to the ending and
    the body hijacking

https://i.imgur.com/uTS19WE.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

As many have noted after a decent enough start the movie fell apart and this was made much worse by how long it ran. Even when you are enjoying a movie it dragging on can take away from it, however it dragging on when you're not having a good time can rip away any positives and it just end up being a painful experience.

Running time seems to be a consistent issue with DC. Rather than getting a tight story they let writers and directors run wild. From a quick check it looks like WW84 was longer than every non-team up MCU movie, with the average MCU standalones being 20-30 minutes shorter. This is a consistent trend for most DC movies. Of course it is possible to have a longer movie focused on a single character but more often than not the longer run time will just mean filler, usually the character going on a quest that is completely pointless and could/should be cut.

• Advertisement
Advertisement