Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The veterans

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You're doing gods work MfMan :) lot of actors I honestly presumed had left us :eek: some people really do get the good genes (or else it's all those secret Swiss clinics the Hollywood elite use)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,291 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Watched Crazy Rich Asians last night and Lisa Lu is 93 and had a quick google.

She only person to be a member of both Hollywood Foreign Press Association and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

She has moved between Asian and Hollywood films over the last 60 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭MfMan

pixelburp wrote: »
    You're doing gods work MfMan :) lot of actors I honestly presumed had left us :eek: some people really do get the good genes (or else it's all those secret Swiss clinics the Hollywood elite use)

I have an affinity with the stars (and also lesser lights whose 'faces you know but cannot name') who are still with us and who have left their imprint on cinema. It's nice to mark their contribution while they're still alive, or at least remember them on the sister RIP thread when they pass.

Star of stage and occasionally screen (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang) Sally Ann Howes is the 90.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Leslie Philips is 97 today. Ding Dong.

Scan-92-2-e1548675371269.jpeg

Anyone hazard a guess at which movie star / actor lived the longest? I would chance Luise Rainer, double Oscar winner in the 1930s, who died in 2014, a few days shy of her 105th birthday.

• Advertisement

MfMan wrote: »
    Anyone hazard a guess at which movie star / actor lived the longest? I would chance Luise Rainer, double Oscar winner in the 1930s, who died in 2014, a few days shy of her 105th birthday.

Norman Lloyd from Dead Poets Society is still alive at 106.

This is from a few years ago when he was 102.

Be hard enough to beat that.

Jerry Hardin is 91.

Deep Throat from the X-Files.

Not an actor but one of the artists who worked on Snow White and the 7 Dwarves, Ruthie Tompson, is still alive at 110.

• Advertisement

William Daniels is 94 he was the voice of KITT and the lead actor in St Elsewhere.

His wife Bonnie Bartlett is 91 and they both won an Emmys for their roles in St. Elsewhere.

Norman Lloyd from Dead Poets Society is still alive at 106.

Looks like I jinxed him. He passed away on Monday. RIP.

Aussie supporting actor Vincent Ball still in the land of the living we presume.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0050482/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

Two august ladies of cinema joined up here lately; Carroll Baker (Giant, Baby Doll, The Big Country), Virgina McKenna (A Town Like Alice, Born Free) turned 90 in recent weeks.

American TV and film actor William Smithers (solitary confinement warden in Papillon) is in his 90s.

Anglo-Pakistani actor Zia Mohyeddin, (Peter O'Toole's slain guide Tafas in Lawrence Of Arabia) is 90 today.
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0596109/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Mel Brooks is 95 today.

DefinitiveGrouchyGrison-size_restricted.gif

Leslie Caron (Gigi) hits the '9s' on Thursday.

A few more to add on here;

Greek composer Mikis Theodorakis (Zorba The Greek, Z, Serpico) is 96. Jobbing American actor Don Murray and much honoured Canadian performer Gordon Pinsent both in the 90s, as is regular Australian actor Martin Vaughan (Phar Lap).

Just turned 90, child prodigy Darryl Hickman, probably the last living credited member of The Grapes Of Wrath and surely one of a dwindling few whose career began pre-WWII.

Norman Lear turned 99 last Tuesday.

He created some of the biggest sit-coms in the US and is still working hard teaming with Lin-Manuel Miranda producing a documentary on Rita Moreno and producing a reboot of Who's the Boss?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Norman Lloyd has died age 106

I believe his death marks the end of Pre WW2 Golden era of Hollywood

Re-watching the Sopranos and Jerry Adler is it who is now 92 and was still active up to the start of Covid.

He is a member of the famous Adler family most famours of them is his cousin is Stella Adler founder of the world famous acting school which gave us Brando, De Niro, Keitel & Kate Mulgrew to name a few.

• Advertisement

He was in his 60's before he got his first tv or film credit.

Leslie Phillips is 97

Amazing given the amount if cigarettes he smoked in the X files alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

I think you're thinking of the aptly named "Cigarette Smoking Man"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

97! That can't be much of a life; last time I saw Phillips he seemed pretty frail. In fact, I had thought I already saw his obituary so it must have been someone else.

Phyllis Coates 94 she was Lois Lane in the 1950's Adventures of Superman and she also played Lois's mother in the Lois & Clark the New Adventures of Superman.

Her first role was in 1948 and last role was in 2017, According to her wiki page she was the most consistently employed actresses of the 1950s and 1960s

Happy Birthday Angie Dickinson, still dressed to kill at 90 (sorry).

Also joining the club this month, star of musicals (South Pacific) Mitzi Gaynor and unmistakable American character actor Philip Baker Hall.

British TV staple and occasional cinema actor (If...), Geoffrey Chater was 100 earlier in the year.

Fittingly for the weekend that's in it, Rita Moreno hits the 9-0 tomorrow.

French auteur Jean-Luc Godard is also in his 90s.

British-born US TV-series staple David Frankham well in his 10th decade

Busy NZ actor Clive Revill also 91;

• Advertisement

Soundtrack composer legend John Williams 90 yesterday.

German actress turned medic Marianne Koch, actor Robert Colbert (Time Tunnel), Canadian writer/director Claude Fournier, actor Tom Troupe,  all in their 90s. 

Advertisement