Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film forum off topic/random chat thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,339 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Doug Liman lined up to reboot The Saint and a good choice to play The Saint as well in Rege-Jean Page.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ralph Macchio and Jackie Chan are set to reprise their roles in a new Karate Kid movie

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Rumours about a "list" doing the rounds in Hollywood and actors who spoke openly in support of Palestine are being dropped from their agencies and/or fired from projects.

Susan Sarandon has been dropped by her agency after speaking at a rally in support of Palestine (although she did make some poor word choices) and Melissa Barerra has apparently been fired from the Scream franchise for supporting Palestine.

Strange days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,124 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Trades are all reporting the news now so seems to be legit.

A pair of shameful decisions.

Sarandon is one of the great Hollywood political and humanitarian activists, and she’s on the right side of history once again, no matter how clunky her comments were. Barrera seemed to make one clunky reference to the ‘media’ amid a lot of otherwise entirely standard, understandably furious comments - poorly judged language in that one case but hardly grounds for firing. Hard to tell if there’s anything else that tipped it over the line, but from everything I’ve seen in the reporting it seems to be a lot of conflating criticism of Israeli state actions with anti-semitism, as is unfortunately the standard in the US. You’d hope some of her castmates will speak out or walk out over this.

It feels like the first time the rest of the Western world is actually paying attention to what's happening with Palestine, and it feels like the Israeli propaganda machine is struggling to combat it.

Barerra, I felt, was just pointing out that in general Western media reports a very one sided version of events. That's been misinterpreted, wilfully or otherwise, as her pedalling the antisemitic "Jews control the media" trope.

Meanwhile, people like Noah Schnapp, Debra Messing, and Amy Schuemer are out there posting some insanely awful stuff and they're facing zero consequences.

It's all very strange to watch, especially coming from a country where supporting Palestine is the commonly held position.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,124 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah there’s one line about ‘I will let you deduce [the reasons] for yourself’ that is vague enough that it could (fairly or unfairly) be read negatively, but the criticism of western media - especially US media - heavily relying on the Israeli / IDF perspective is entirely correct. Some of her other comments I’ve seen flagged by the trades are completely innocuous in the context of ongoing atrocities.

The wild ranting stuff I’ve seen from people like Michael Rappaport is infinitely worse.

It’s particularly odd from an Irish perspective, where the mainstream political and social position is that Israel’s relentless bombardment of Gaza should be condemned. It seems to be such a mad taboo to suggest that in the US, despite polls showing that’s the mainstream public opinion over there.

Tom Cruise very publicly is backing his agent after CAA demoted her for comments.

I guess they weren't brave enough to fire her in case Cruise walked with her.

Across town, the agency’s fiercest rival, CAA, was dealing with a crisis. Maha Dakhil, one of its top agents, had ignited a firestorm with her Instagram posts, including one that said, “What’s more heartbreaking than witnessing genocide? Witnessing the denial that genocide is happening.” In response, Dakhil was relieved of her duties as co-chief the motion pictures department, though she was allowed to remain an agent. It didn’t hurt that her most important client, Tom Cruise, made it known to CAA that he was backing her. Cruise met with Dakhil at her CAA office on Nov. 15. A knowledgeable source says he took the rare step of going in person to show support for his embattled agent.

But the Dakhil issue didn’t end there. A group of CAA assistants threatened to walk out over the agency’s treatment of her, sources say. They believed she was being railroaded by management but ultimately abandoned their threat. At the same time, some of the agents who complained internally about Dakhil’s posts felt disillusioned, believing she should have been fired. Separately, CAA cut ties with a staffer and two clients over incendiary anti-Israeli social media posts.

"incendiary anti-Israeli social media posts."

Some people aren't doing themselves any favours with the way they're reporting things. They're basically confirming what Barerra was saying, whatever you want to believe she was saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,934 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

As bad as these decisions look at the moment, I've a feeling they'll look even worse before too long.

The US coverage is just insane in how myopic and contradictory it is, coming as quickly as it is after having the completely opposite response to what was happening in Ukraine. On the ground here though there's an increasingly angry and disenfranchised sentiment around both government parties - been absolutely massive pro-Palestine/ceasefire rallies all around California.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Is there any good/worth seeing in the cinema films coming out soon? Not bum ache ones or horror...

really feeling the the lack of Dune 2, although that is going to very long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,934 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

'Saltburn' and 'Dream Scenario' are both out at the moment, look great, and aren't too long, or horror.

Also, if you don't mind occasional subtitles (though a hefty chunk of it is in English anyway), I can't recommend 'Anatomy of a Fall' highly enough - best film i've seen this year so far, tied with Past Lives. Now, it is long enough, but I really didn't feel the length at all.

May December is one of my absolute favourites of the year and it's showing in cinemas for the next week or two. Anatomy of a Fall is a very smart and watchable courtroom drama.

Some good stuff out over the next few weeks, like The Eternal Daughter and Fallen Leaves. It's a fairly quiet December given the impact of the strikes, but excited to see Godzilla Minus One and Ferrari, and to rewatch the transcendent The Boy and the Heron. Then we're properly into 'awards corridor' in January with fascinating films released pretty much weekly through February.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Barrera was posting about the situation for a few weeks so was bound to mistep in her language. Referring to gaza as a concentration camp probably did her. It's a pity the sister dynamic in the new scream movies were probably the most interesting aspect to me.

Some reports this afternoon that Jenna Ortega wants out of her Scream contract over the sacking of Melissa Barerra.

I saw someone suggest that Ortega was only coming back for a small role in the next Scream film anyway so wouldn't be that big a deal for her to drop it. But from a marketing POV it's not looking good for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It will be interesting how a new Scream film will proceed without her character as the link to the series as Billy's daughter

Hopefully jenna leaves the franchise too and it finally ends. They treated the exit of neve Campbell badly too. I can't say the overall storyline ever grabbed me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wonder if this might grow into another James Gunn scenario where if enough of the talent tells the studio to F Off, they'll reverse the decision?

Though the slasher genre does tend to have a rotating door with their casts, and anti-Israel paranoia seems rampant enough, that it might be unlikely to resolve itself in Barrera's favour.

Scream especially with its turn over of scream queens can just kill off these characters, off screen and pluck the next generation of scream queens from TV shows like they have done in the past. I'm sure there are plenty of young actresses who would jump at the chance to star in a Scream movie

If its true fair play to Ortega for sticking by her castmate.

Hollywood Reporter reports Ortega is not returning, but she’d decided that months ago and it’s not related to the firing.

Could be spin, but hopefully some of the cast / crew do speak out or walk out over the whole situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Her crime was worse than kidnapping an indigenous member, thieving houses and throwing a pregnant woman to the ground.

I did read she was only supposed to be coming back for a small part. Based on the fact she's still filming Beetlejuice at the moment, and Wednesday starts filming again in February, it could be true that she had already pulled out. Unless Scream 7 wasn't planning on shooting until later next year.

Either way, she's a big draw for Gen Z audiences and losing both her and Barerra will be a blow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Barrera makes a statement since being turfed from Scream. A pretty effective and balanced statement at that, no more so than the diplomatic but quietly forceful point that "a group of people are NOT their leadership, and that no governing body should be above criticism". There are a lot of people in this sorry situation who seemed to have forgotten that, so they can wield the cudgel of "anti-semite!".

It does seem like this time it's not working, people too canny now and can spot disingenuous attempts to shut down debate.

On Wednesday, Barrera shared a statement on her Instagram Story, writing, "First and foremost I condemn Anti-Semitism and Islamophobia. I condemn hate and prejudice of any kind against any group of people."

"As a Latina, a proud Mexicana," she continued, "I feel the responsibility of having a platform that allows me the privilege of being heard, and therefore I have tried to use it to raise awareness about issues I care about and to lend my voice to those in need."

Barrera continued, "Every person on the earth — regardless of religion, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation or socio-economic status — deserves equal human rights, dignity and, of course, freedom. I believe a group of people are NOT their leadership, and that no governing body should be above criticism."

"I pray day and night for no more deaths, for no more violence, and for peaceful co-existence," the In the Heights actress wrote, adding, "I will continue to speak out for those that need it most and continue to advocate for peace and safety, for human rights and freedom."

She concluded, "Silence is not an option for me."

A lot of influential groups like the ADL and AIPAC have spent years falsely working to conflate any criticism of the Israeli government and the IDF with anti-semitism. You can see how blatantly this is the case when they praise Elon Musk for banning several pro-Palestinian slogans on Twitter as supposed 'hate speech', 24 hours after he wholeheartedly endorsed a blatantly anti-semitic tweet.

But as you say, the public by-and-large is not buying that dishonesty this time around. What is true, though, is that there remains little room for criticism of the Israeli state actions in the US political, business and cultural sectors, despite the shifting public opinion. Hence why you see things like Barrera's firing, but also the growing public backlash to such actions.

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,952 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The ADL is nothing more than an NGO smear group and it's been that way since Foxman was the head of it. In fact it's been that way since the 70's you could say. The so called "anti" Defamation League was even taken to court...for defamation...and they were found guilty. They've been at the forefront of pushing this idea that there's a "new" anti-Semitism which basically constitutes any criticism at all of Israel as a state actor, and not showing enough deference to that state or Jews in general. The "anti" Defamation League exists to libel and defame people and has spied on figures such as Noam Chomsky, Norman Finkelstein and even foreign diplomats visiting the US. They were partly responsible, along with Alan Dershowitz, for Finkelstein losing his position at a Chicago University because he dared to point out Israel's (and others) historical exploitation of the holocaust as a deflection against legitimate criticism of contemporary actions. Finkelstein even had to face scurrilous and baseless accusations of being a "holocaust denier", even though his father was in Auschwitz and his mother was in Majdanek during the war and many members of his family were murdered by the Nazis.

People like Foxman have said that the organisation can do whatever it wants in its efforts to combat "anti-Semitism", which is why they've been eager to constantly redefine what "anti-Semitism" actually means. Thus, it has become this elastic, nebulous, cloud of everything and nothing at the same time.

AIPAC, also, is a group that has way, waaaay, too much power in American affairs and it's beyond time that they were neutered to a large degree. They exist solely as a mouthpiece for Israel and abandon all other concern and, as a group, have leaned into support for extremist Republican figures and their platforms, which makes them and active danger to the US body politic. During the Democratic Primaries they poured millions of dollars into smear campaigns that were designed to derail Democratic candidates who were deemed to have spoken up for Palestinian rights and endorsed Trumpist figures like Elise Stefanik, who's been accused of promoting the "great replacement theory", which in itself is used by actual anti-Semites as a slur against Jews.

This is the Orwellian state of US politics with regards to Israel. Black is white, up is down. Nothing makes a lick of sense and behind it all are organisations and people who use a veneer of righteous concern about anti-Semitism to further a purely political agenda. Organisations which possess a malevolent reach into people's lives that should be far beyond their gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I do think the makers of Scream have made a somewhat bad choice, they had the first real decent quality "final girls" since Sydney. So they're going in on much shakier ground. Also she obviously did nothing wrong particularly given some of the stuff said on the other side.

Some high up producer obviously jumped the gun but they won't back down now. Probably offer a pile of cash for Neve Campbell to return now. Hope the next movie crashes and Burns.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Maybe they'll bring in the ones from the TV series.

I can't even remember who survived the last one since I think everyone was stabbed multiple times yet were still grand.

Here's a weird one: the original test footage created for Shrek, back in '95/96 when it was a potential Chris Farley vehicle.

Man, CGI has come a long way baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

looks like Disney has another flop on its hands, and its another $200+ budget film, not that im the target audience but was barely aware of it, Disney will have fun trying to explain all their flops this year

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement