Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scum snapped tree on street anyway to save.

Options
  • 20-01-2021 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

Very angry:mad:

Hopefully someone can help.

We had a new tree planted outside the house by council about a year ago
    and some filthy urchins thought it would be funny to break it.

I have attached a pic.. can it be saved and if so what do I need to do to save it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Pulse1975

Gob****es

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Get in contact with the council, there parks section will know what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Some scumbags wrecked about 15 new trees at a newly redone entrance to Kilbogget Park a while back, I was so furious at the wanton destruction. Tbh if it was me i'd post that video online on every social media i could find, bet someone will recognise those scummers.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that tree is not worth saving; as per above, get on to the council to see if they can replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,113 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Getting on to the council is the best suggestion. However I reckon it might just be salvageable. Remove the rubber tie, ease the tree straight again, trying to get the splinters to reconnect as they were. Use soft string or tape (narrow bits of fabric even something like a jcloth torn into strips might work) and bind it firmly - tightly - in place. Then add a stick/piece of straight wood (pad the ends a bit so they don't rub the bark) and bind that as a splint, then put back the rubber tie. If the council replaces it, fair enough, if it survives, that's good, if it dies, well it was worth a try :D Remove all the bindings next autumn and see how it is getting on. If it is a cherry, I don't think it is but its hard to tell, it might be more susceptible to disease, but there is nothing to lose by trying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

looksee wrote: »
    Getting on to the council is the best suggestion. However I reckon it might just be salvageable. Remove the rubber tie, ease the tree straight again, trying to get the splinters to reconnect as they were. Use soft string or tape (narrow bits of fabric even something like a jcloth torn into strips might work) and bind it firmly - tightly - in place. Then add a stick/piece of straight wood (pad the ends a bit so they don't rub the bark) and bind that as a splint, then put back the rubber tie. If the council replaces it, fair enough, if it survives, that's good, if it dies, well it was worth a try :D Remove all the bindings next autumn and see how it is getting on. If it is a cherry, I don't think it is but its hard to tell, it might be more susceptible to disease, but there is nothing to lose by trying.

Thanks for that, would rooting powder help in the joint

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

looksee wrote: »

A similar thing happened to a Rowan tree that had been planted in front of our office block. We discovered it on a Monday morning, so no idea when it happened (area not covered by CCTV)

A couple of us did exactly what you outlined above, and the tree is thriving now, 10 years later.

We did not use rooting powder.

I would not think so, straightening it sooner rather than later would be the best thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 LaAlgerie

If a car accident happened involving him I wouldn't be sad about it.

I have an update, some guy in a dublin city council van did a U turn and parked at tree and finished the job. Ripped off the top and threw in his van

I did submit a request to them this morning highlighting the tree, but I really don't think they are that fast.

• Advertisement

The chances of a repaired tree being given the chance to regrow would be a bit remote I suppose, between vandals and storms and so on. Hope they come and replace it having finished the job of destroying it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

They should have put up a cctv camera instead of a tree to catch these scumbags,
    and give them a proper sentence instead of mollycoddling these ****bags.

Sorry for the language but this incessant damage drives me mad

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Girls along with them. Teenage lads are always doing stupid stuff like that to try and impress the girls.
    Mind you it looks like the vandal might even be a girl herself.

kadman wrote: »
    They should have put up a cctv camera instead of a tree to catch these scumbags,
    and give them a proper sentence instead of mollycoddling these ****bags.

Sorry for the language but this incessant damage drives me mad

i have CCTV on the area the tree is in but what's the point in reality, nothing will be done

the only chance the tree has to survive is to grow stronger than the person attacking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I think a new tree is best suggestion. Even if you do manage to salvage the old one, there will always be a weakness at that point. Our roadside verge had a split trunk about 5 ft up and in big storm that is wear it snapped off. After being there for 40 yrs, I suppose it was getting top heavy. Still waiting for replacement! It was cut down to a stump within days but stump took another two years to be ground out. Now with covid it is anyones guess when new tree might be done. I was tempted to replace it myself as residents had put in original one. But better that council do it. The actual tree is not so expensive.

Advertisement