Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Thanatosgratus

This was The Awakening (1980) by the way
    Will check it, out here is the scene to let you reminisce 27:24 looks like boards youtube video plugin cant handle the copy at current time link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Will check it, out here is the scene to let you reminisce 27:24 looks like boards youtube video plugin cant handle the copy at current time link

Ha, yeah I checked it out last night. The crack wasn't as loud as I remember it, but as a 10 year old, it was terrifying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Trying to identify a scene from either a film or TV show where police are going to use a battering ram on the door of a house they want to enter. Just as the battering ram is swung at the door, it opens, someone is standing in the doorway with his back facing out and the cop has to swing away from the door while other cops pull the guy in the doorway out of the house.

Have a feeling it was a TV series from the 2000s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Possibly Something Evil (directed by a young Spielberg)?

Thanks, that's the one, the porch/movie camera scene is the one I remember alright, not sure of some of the other parts, it might be another movie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Bit of an unusual one. Who remembers those short ads consisting of a voiceover and slide that RTE would run in the 80s? Anyway a vague memory of one popped into my head the other day. It was for a film called Privates or Private, appeared to be a British film set during WW2 as the slide advert showed the film poster which had three smiling "Tommies" wearing tin hat helmets as the main image and under that you could see some sort of battle scene maybe with tanks. I'd say it was circa 1985. It must have gone under alternate titles as I cant find anything matching it online, I'm pretty sure it wasnt Privates On Parade.

• Advertisement

This is the kind of thing I mean by short slide adverts. A block of them would be shown at the end of an ad break. The ad for the film I'm trying to identify had an identical one, just an image of the poster and voiceover something like "Private, in cinemas from Friday"

https://twitter.com/KillianM2/status/1339590606796935168

Bit of an unusual one. Who remembers those short ads consisting of a voiceover and slide that RTE would run in the 80s? Anyway a vague memory of one popped into my head the other day. It was for a film called Privates or Private, appeared to be a British film set during WW2 as the slide advert showed the film poster which had three smiling "Tommies" wearing tin hat helmets as the main image and under that you could see some sort of battle scene maybe with tanks. I'd say it was circa 1985. It must have gone under alternate titles as I cant find anything matching it online, I'm pretty sure it wasnt Privates On Parade.

Found it, turns out its not British nor about WW2 but an Israeli film set in the 50's called Private Popsicle. I'm almost certain the image of the busty lady had been cropped out in the ad I saw on RTE as I certainly don't remember that. Ditto the naked guy.

private-popsicle-cinema-quad-movie-poster-(1).jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

A B&W movie from way back, about I think the early days of the automotive industry in America. In a scene I vaguely remember, one of the protagonists is on a night-out with his girl when his automobile breaks down, or won't start. She makes some suggestion, like put water in it, but he dismisses this, saying it would ruin the engine. However, they do it anyway, and the situation is resolved. He is very excited and insists on calling his engineer partner to work all night on the solution.

You'll be doing well to figure this one out I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

MfMan wrote: »
    A B&W movie from way back, about I think the early days of the automotive industry in America. In a scene I vaguely remember, one of the protagonists is on a night-out with his girl when his automobile breaks down, or won't start. She makes some suggestion, like put water in it, but he dismisses this, saying it would ruin the engine. However, they do it anyway, and the situation is resolved. He is very excited and insists on calling his engineer partner to work all night on the solution.

You'll be doing well to figure this one out I feel.

I remember that scene well :P

Her ya go

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037575/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_52

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

I remember that scene well :P

Her ya go

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037575/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_52

Great call; you sure that's it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Great call; you sure that's it?

100% positive.

You described the scene very well.

The man was afraid to put the water in because he thought it would crack the cylinder block.

one hour and 2 mins into this movie

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Heads absolutely wrecked lads.
    Really appreciate your help here...

Thriller/ horror movie.

Within the last decade ( I'm 90% sure ).

Rough description of setting:

30 something husband and wife with toddler,all set within small apartment.

Husband bangs head ,( I think ) and begins to change mannerisms and become more suspicious and curious about his environment.

Im almost sure it's a single word title.

( tri ) in title ???

Sorry about the vagueness of my description.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I did a quick alt+f for tri in the lists here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_horror_films_of_the_2010s
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_horror_films_of_2020

Only match was Blood of the Tribades, a lesbian vampire movie. So I guess there's something not quite right about that description. I'm sure you could do something similar with lists of thrillers; I'd better get back to work.

mikhail wrote: »
    I did a quick alt+f for tri in the lists here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_horror_films_of_the_2010s
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_horror_films_of_2020

Only match was Blood of the Tribades, a lesbian vampire movie. So I guess there's something not quite right about that description. I'm sure you could do something similar with lists of thrillers; I'd better get back to work.

Deffo not that. :)
    Appreciate your reply though. Thank you.

Perhaps I'm throwing a curveball with the 'tri' thought.

Sorry if so.

Its been bugging me for at least 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Subbuteo

Phenomenon starring John Travolta?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117333/

Subbuteo wrote: »
    Phenomenon starring John Travolta?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117333/

No.

It featured no instantly recognisable 'stars'.

Wow.

This thread ( I meant to say post,not thread) is really going nowhere it seems.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Uncharted wrote: »
    Wow.

This thread is really going nowhere it seems.

:pac:

What, because nobody knows the film you're taking about?

What, because nobody knows the film you're taking about?

I mistakenly wrote " thread" instead of " post " .

Apologies to all

Guess I may just admit defeat on it. :(

*shakes fist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭biketard

Uncharted wrote: »
    Guess I may just admit defeat on it. :(

*shakes fist

Not that it'll help (other than maybe knowing you're not getting totally ignored), but I did actually try to search for this one, without any luck I'm afraid.

I posted a couple ages ago that got zero response. Might dig them out and have another pop now that the audience has changed a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

It's not Take Shelter with Michael Shannon is it?

biketard wrote: »
    Not that it'll help (other than maybe knowing you're not getting totally ignored), but I did actually try to search for this one, without any luck I'm afraid.

I posted a couple ages ago that got zero response. Might dig them out and have another pop now that the audience has changed a little bit.

Thank you

nicklauski wrote: »
    It's not Take Shelter with Michael Shannon is it?

No.

Definitely not because there were no instantly recognisable mainstream actors.

Thanks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Thanatosgratus

Were there any memorable scenes beyond "Husband bangs head ,( I think ) " and I wouldn't rule out mainstream actors they may have only just debuted at the time

A movie (maybe TVM) from the 70s/80s where a woman driver on her way to someplace is menaced by another, male driver. A bit like The Hitcher but with a female protagonist. At one point, she cleverly evades his pursuit by overtaking a truck and pulling in sharply in front of it and immediately driving off a side road while he continues straight on. Later, she is unwittingly picked up by him. All ends well though I think. It was fairly good IIRC.

A movie (maybe TVM) from the 70s/80s where a woman driver on her way to someplace is menaced by another, male driver. A bit like The Hitcher but with a female protagonist. At one point, she cleverly evades his pursuit by overtaking a truck and pulling in sharply in front of it and immediately driving off a side road while he continues straight on. Later, she is unwittingly picked up by him. All ends well though I think. It was fairly good IIRC.

Not from that era. Certainly post 2000 era.

Were there any memorable scenes beyond "Husband bangs head ,( I think ) " and I wouldn't rule out mainstream actors they may have only just debuted at the time

I'll have to try jog my memory. I apologise about vagueness at so far.

Im wary of throwing out a red herring in error

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

With the limited information, you might have more success with a bigger pool of people, e.g. at https://www.reddit.com/r/tipofmytongue/

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,994 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Could that be "night drive" aka "night terror" from 1976?

Advertisement