Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweet Pea Seeds - Sugar n spice - can I sow now?

Options
  • 19-01-2021 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

Hi

I got a couple of packets of Sweet pea seeds for hanging baskets that I intend to fill with them.

I don't really understand the sowing instructions I wondered if anyone could explain them please I'd be very grateful.

The diagram shows you can Direct Sow/Plant outdoors in March - attached pic.
    IMG_0877.JPG
    The sowing instructions just details how to sow.

The Growing Instructions section says: Overwinter January sown plants in cooler conditions such as cold frame before planting out in spring when the ground has warmed, 15cm apart or into containers.

So could I start the seeds now, in the house, or should I wait til March please.

Any tips greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Bill Hook

I'd say you could sow them now.

Not an expert by any means but I sowed sweetpeas at the start of February last year (in a heated propagator indoors) and moved them outside to a cold frame as soon as they germinated. I planted them in their final pots/planters at the start of April.

Read this at the weekend which you might find helpful:
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/jan/16/how-to-grow-sweet-peas

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You could sow them now and they will germinate and produce young plants. However you can't put them out till May by which time, in my experience they will have grown lanky and weak and will not make the best effort for the summer. I would suggest leaving them till April, start them indoors then grow on in individual pots in a cool, bright place till mid May then put them out with max attention to feed - well buried, rotted manure for example (the stuff in bags is good) or chicken pellets or whatever, then feed at intervals as they grow.

I would not even buy the first instalment of seedling sweet peas - or indeed any annuals - that appears in the shops, wait until May/June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

I planted the sweet pea last week in the warm weather.
    Planted them in deep pots outside in a sheltered area that gets the sun.

Can't believe snow is forecast on Sunday....
    What can I do with the seeds at night?
    Move them into the house or the shed?
    Or just cover them with bubblewrap?

Advertisement