Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

D class league for the North

• 07-04-2010 2:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Liam and I have been discussing the fact that there is a lack of D class shows happening in the North, with the result being that most 1st time fighters are being thrown in to C class shows, in front of a few hundred people and being expected to perform to the best of their ability. For most this wont happen as nerves etc tend to drain every bit of energy out of you. So as a way of introduction to MMA we have decided to see if there is enough interest in amateur fighters to run a D class league.
    At the moment we are thinking along the lines of having the divisions start at 50kg - 54kg, 55kg -59kg, 60kg -64kg etc right up to 105kg+, so as there would be no need for cutting weight, with weigh-ins on the day. It would require pre registration and the divisions could be amended depending on the amount of interest.
    At the moment all that we are looking for is, that if anyone is interested in this, then approach your coaches and ask them to get in contact with me at pcbefr@yahoo.co.uk with your name, weight and age.
    If there seems to be enough interest, then the next step will be to set a date and time etc and get all interested registered.
    If it goes ahead it will only be coaches and fighters that can attend so as not to put as much pressure on 1st time fighters. The fights will take place in the cage at PCCB to allow the fighters to gain experience fighting inside a cage.
    Normal D class rules will apply with protective equipment,ie shin guards, groin guard, mouth guard and sparring MMA gloves mandatory.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

Do D class rules allow head shots?

As you know I ran a number of MMA League events in the North in years gone by and the interest wasn't there at the time. Things have changed since then to be sure, so hopefully it will work out better for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 pcbefr

No there will be no haed shots standing or on the ground.
    Hope so Mark, the sport needs it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

I dont understand why other clubs in the north dont go to the MMA league.

We do and I have only ever seen people from Elite Fighting systems in warrenpoint or milford which is as far north as us.

If the shows are held in dublin and galway you can go up and down in one day.

There are even more shows up North than down south so fighters don't have the chance to mature at the pace they need do. They are put fighting before they are ready and no body benefits. Its been talked to death in other threads I won't go re-hashing it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Mrs Lynch

I think its a fab idea Pol;) Its somethin that needs to be done quickly as fighters are being "turned out" way too early in the North. Fighters are under extreme pressure and arent mature as figthers to compete on massive stages. Plus it is ripping paying fans off to an extent when the are under the illusion its pro shows!!!

With the amount of shows they hav up here Jason I know a lot of coaches and fighters are fully stretched with their time and a trip to Galway altho excellent set up may not always appeal to them.

It could also encourage good practice to encourage smaller clubs get "cage" experience. Anyway I hope you lads giv it a go and best of luck with it:)

Urs
    x

• Advertisement

Mrs Lynch wrote: »
    I think its a fab idea Pol;) Its somethin that needs to be done quickly as fighters are being "turned out" way too early in the North. Fighters are under extreme pressure and arent mature as figthers to compete on massive stages. Plus it is ripping paying fans off to an extent when the are under the illusion its pro shows!!!

I really think that is the fault of there being too many shows up North. Running a D class event might help, but the net effect will be the same unless show attrition happens sooner rather than later
    With the amount of shows they hav up here Jason I know a lot of coaches and fighters are fully stretched with their time and a trip to Galway altho excellent set up may not always appeal to them.
    How about a trip to Dublin then? The League is not just Galway though it is there twice this year.
    Also, when there was a League in Antrim, the attendance was abysmal, so the distance can hardly be blamed entirely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

Coaches dont always have to go. I won't be able to attend the next one.

I would probably end up trying to get the lads to go to both of these events. I like the sound of the warning for head shots rather than instant disqualification

I do think its unfair putting a first timer straight into the ring or cage. We have done it in the past and learnt from our mistakes.

Only time we would allow someone to go to C class is if they have a background elsewhere. Example Boxing

I like the sound of the warning for head shots rather than instant disqualification

It would have to be very carefully monitored. We thought long and hard about that for the League, as head shot DQs are the most painful part of the League events. The system we had is in place so that fighters don't get their "First head shot free"; if you adopt the warning for the first shot rule then you lose the safety of zero tolerance. Pretty quickly it becomes "Warning for the first 'decent' head shot" and then guys are having to suck up accidental head shots regularly in matches. Let that continue and the event becomes less safe, fun and easy.

Somthin needs done in the North obviously opportunity for the league isnt always taken up. I if nothing is done here soon we could pay the price:(

I woz thinkin about this a lot yesterday and think altho Pol and Liam are takin the step within their club to do this it could mayb be held in some of the other bigger clubs to spread it evenly. I think Mr P used to do somethin like this and that probably attributed to the growth and development of EFR.

Anyway I hope it goes well for the fighters to heighten their skills, develop sportsmanship and ultimately enhance safety in MMA:)

Urs
    x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭Marty Mc

indeed he did urs..i remember stevie competing in one..;)

the last one i believe was over a year ago.

These where always alot of fun and competitive..im sure alot of excellent fighters came through pcc/ufr/efr that way.

The rules where slightly differant from the leagues and any accidental head shots where laughed about and usually never repeated..

I think reviving it is a great idea..

• Advertisement

Marty Mc wrote: »
    any accidental head shots where laughed about and usually never repeated.......

Lol bet they wer only tryin to wreck your hair Sir:D

Definately an opportunity not to be missed imo - I mean the show not wreckin your hair (dont panick:eek:!!!!!)

Urs
    x

i have had more than my hair wrecked at davys plc, urs!!:eek:

Great gym and great boys that train there.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Pccb

I seem to remember attending many of the d class events at davys and there you achieved the notorious name marty armbar. If I remember right, Many opponents recieved a punch in the neck then followed by a slick armbar. Then all was left was to fix the hair and recieve the medal lol

long live marty armbar

Liam

Pccb wrote: »
    .....long live marty armbar

I'll second that lol:D

The "Sir" is extremely talented armbars, excellent grappler, brill MC and above all fashion goddess lol

Urs
    x

shando..u crack me up bro..:D

everyday i look in the mirror to fix my lovely locks, im reminded of u by my lovely scar over my eye which needed 7 stitches..

Is there such a thing as accidental headbutts?;)

im pleading the 5th on the punches to the throat!!!

''marty armbar'' is going a long way back..i can still hear fergus ''the sunbed kid'' wisdom screaming it from the back of the club..lol

hopefully i can perfrom more than one submision at this stage..

Urs,

u know how to make a boy blush..:p

Advertisement