Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC on Fox: Velasquez vs. Dos Santos

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Mellor wrote: »

So you couldn't understand my post, and you can't read/remember your own. Yet you call others dyslexic and retarded. Fuck off you clown. What are you 12?

Great moderating skills

The constant bickering that goes on in this Forum is the worst on Boards.Sadly a moderator is right in the middle of it.

Instead of pulling people up for abusive behavior, he gets involved himself.

It's dragging the forum down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm not a moderator of MMA, it says so quite clearly on the left.. I'm a regular user just like everyone else. In fact, I'm specifically told not to get involved in moderating other forums as its not my place.

So, your critism is pretty groundless.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Moderators of other forums have no rights, powers or authority in other forums. Nor is there any "nods and winks" for mods to get an easier ride when they post outside their forums.

Anyway, back on topic, I really thought Cain would win but c'est la vie. I'm a big fan of Mr Velasquez and his style but I'm also a fan of JDS because he seemed to be a good guy on TUF and he is very highly skilled.

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    Anyway, back on topic, I really thought Cain would win but c'est la vie. I'm a big fan of Mr Velasquez and his style but I'm also a fan of JDS because he seemed to be a good guy on TUF and he is very highly skilled.

DeV.
    yeah, I don't begrudge JDS the title oen bit. Has great boxing and looks to be a nice guy.
    He has said that he think he'll be fighting Lesnar in the new year after his clash with Overeem.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

JDS vs Lesnar???

I hope lesnar has gotten over his "dislike" of being hit in the face .... :)

DeV.

• Advertisement

JDS vs Lesnar???

DeV.
    Yeah, it's been confirmed in a few places, the winner of Lesnar and Overeem gets the next title shot.
    I think if Lesnar is 100% he beats Overeem. And at least Cain has shown him what not to do vrs JDS. Dont trade and work a wrestling game. Then of course his BJJ comes into play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

Not a big fan of Lesner but i see him taking Reem down and G N P all the way, Alister never had great cardio and Lesner on top wont help that, including his performance against Verdum i dont have much faith.
    I see it like a lot of guys stepping into the UFC from other companies and it not going so well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I was totally confident of JDS winning that fight, especially after the Carwin fight.

People had been making a lot of noise about Cains stand up and while it is good, JDS is on a higher technical level.

Last decent level stand up fighter Cain fought was Kongo who dropped him twice so I always felt JDS had a chance of finding his sweet spot.

I think Cain will get right back up there though and see these guys meeting again. I reckon JDS would beat Brock, and I reckon Brock will beat Overeem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

JDS vs Lesnar???

DeV.

I can only assume that he has been working on it. At the end of the day the guy has some stones on him, his last fight ended due to devastation on the feet and for his comeback fight he gets in there with a k1 level striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I kind of hope Brock wins it and we get to see him v JDS like we were supposed to before he got sick.

If Brock can take Overeem down early I reckon he'll smash him on the ground and get the TKO.

But IF Overeem manages to stuff his takedowns then Brock will be in serious trouble on his feet I think.
    But I can't really see Overeem being able to stop the takedowns. Brock is a tank and his takedowns would be like being hit by a train.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Overeem is an excellent kickboxer so Lesner won't be standing and trading with him and will obviously go straight in looking for takedowns.

If Lesner wins then I can't see him beat JDS because the guy is brilliant on his feet or off his back and Brock seems to tire easily, and as someone else mentioned, doesn't like getting punched in the face.
    I see it like a lot of guys stepping into the UFC from other companies and it not going so well

It's usually because they are matched with the top guys in their weight class right from the get go and it's pretty much sink or swim for most.

I really like Lesnar vrs Overeem as a match up.

Overeem is overated imo. He is a great kick boxer, but has serious holes in some aspects. Lesnar of course, has flawed striking.
    Obviously, Lesnat wants to get it to the mat and GnP a win. Overeem ants to keep it striking at range.
    A big factor for me is that K-1 and MMA are very different. Overeem is world class in K-1 and he favours a muay thai style. A lot his dominance comes from usng his height, getting the clinch and landing big knees. He hasn't got much height over lesnar, and almost no reach. Add to that the fact that cliching with Lesnar seriously risks getting dumped on the mat.

I'm not saying Brock can negate all his striking, I'm just pointing out an aspect that he has to be cautious of using. Destroying Todd duffee with clinch knees has little carry-over to a guy like Lesnar.
    If Brock is back, fully recovered, I can see him gettign the win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

I'm not so sure, if you look at Brocks last 2 fights was smashed by both Cain and Carwin early on so if Reem can stuff one take down and catch him then he could be in trouble.
    (I know both Cain and Carwin have great wrestling)
    But dont think Reem has gotten past Werdum and the likes without some defence to TD's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

preddy wrote: »
    I'm not so sure, if you look at Brocks last 2 fights was smashed by both Cain and Carwin early on so if Reem can stuff one take down and catch him then he could be in trouble.
    (I know both Cain and Carwin have great wrestling)
    But dont think Reem has gotten past Werdum and the likes without some defence to TD's.

Did you see the Werdum fight? Jaysus! Werdum had absolutely nothing to offer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

But Reem looked like absolute crap against Werdum because he was terrified of being taken down. He ended up nearly getting outstruck IMO because of it.

If his striking suffers that badly because of the threat of takedown from Werdum I don't expect him to be too confident on his feet against Lesnar.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Did you see the Werdum fight? Jaysus! Werdum had absolutely nothing to offer!

Yea was awfull to watch.
    DrPhilG wrote: »
    But Reem looked like absolute crap against Werdum because he was terrified of being taken down. He ended up nearly getting outstruck IMO because of it.

If his striking suffers that badly because of the threat of takedown from Werdum I don't expect him to be too confident on his feet against Lesnar.
    Yea but how do you look good against someone constantly lying on their back trying to get a Jitz match going.

I just thinks Lesnar standup being so bad thats the fights all about if reem can stop from being taken down or held up against the cage for too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Yea but how do you look good against someone constantly lying on their back trying to get a Jitz match going..

I don't just mean he looked bad when Werdum was flopping on his arse, I mean when they were standing Overeem looked tentative and scared to mount any great offense because he was constantly wary of a takedown.

Yea was awfull to watch.

Yea but how do you look good against someone constantly lying on their back trying to get a Jitz match going.

I just thinks Lesnar standup being so bad thats the fights all about if reem can stop from being taken down or held up against the cage for too long.

Werdum was shocking and basically just lying on his back. Make no mistake, Brock is a different beast. If they tie up, I'd fancy the 278lb wrestler who wants to be on top to take him down, rather than the 245lb BJJ guy who wanted to be on the bottom.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Werdum was shocking and basically just lying on his back. Make no mistake, Brock is a different beast. If they tie up, I'd fancy the 278lb wrestler who wants to be on top to take him down, rather than the 245lb BJJ guy who wanted to be on the bottom.

No doubt Brock will be a different beast I can see him taking him down, but
    isnt Reem training at Xtreme Couture now?

Yeah but training at Xtreme Couture for a few months ≠ Brock's wrestling experience

• Advertisement

Just seen Brock up close in the latest vlog. He looked huge.
    He said to Dana he's 278lbs. He'll prob add a bit more over the next 6 weeks too.

Overeem at '93 in Dublin :p

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pauldoo

i remember seeing him there, took me ages to figure out who it was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

pauldoo wrote: »
    i remember seeing him there, took me ages to figure out who it was

I was shocked at how big he is in person :eek:
    Same with Semmy Schilt

Yes that's true and it should help Overeem to an extent, but as the previous poster said it most likely won't be enough to cope with Brocks wrestling pedigree and as the other poster said Overeem gets so worried about the takedown he doesn't commit to his strikes.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Just watched the fight on Fox!!

Jeeez, they should have went the extra step and just put on Europe - The Final Countdown in the background!!

Was so cheesey the coverage.

I was shocked at how big he is in person :eek:
    Same with Semmy Schilt

Well remember back in the day when he was a 205er?

AlistairOvereem122.jpg

Not anymore

38616332.jpg

AlistairOvereem122.jpg

Not anymore

38616332.jpg

cant see much of a difference :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

AlistairOvereem122.jpg

Not anymore

38616332.jpg

pfft he's not fooling anyone thats an xtra small tshirt hence the size illusion.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Winnings and suspensions below.
    Junior dos Santos - $220,000 ($110,00 salary/$110,000 win bonus)
    Cain Velasquez - $100,000
    Velasquez - 45 day suspension, 30 days no contact

Ben Henderson - $60,000 ($30,000/$30,000)
    Clay Guida - $40,000
    No suspensions

Dustin Poirier - $20,000 ($10,000/$10,000)
    Pablo Garza - $8,000
    No suspensions

Ricardo Lamas - $20,000 ($10,000/$10,000)
    Cub Swanson - $15,000
    No suspensions

Demarques Johnson - $28,000 ($14,000/$14,000)
    Clay Harvison - $8,000
    Harvison suspended for 45 days, 30 days no contact

Darren Uyenoyama - $12,000 ($6,000/$6,000)
    Kid Yamamoto - $15,000
    Uyenoyams suspended 60/60 cut to left eyebrow
    Yamamoto 180/180 possible fracture to left hand finger

Robert Peralta - $16,000 ($8,000/$8,000)
    Mackens Semerzier $8,000
    Semerzier suspended 45/30 for TKO and 60/60 for cut to scalp

Alex Caceres - $16,000 ($8,000/$8,000)
    Cole Escovedo $6,000
    No suspensions

Mike Pierce- $36,000 ($18,000/$18,000)
    Bradley $8,000
    Bradley suspended 180/180 for possible left elbow fracture

Mike Lucas - $6,000
    Aaron Rosa - $12,000 ($6,000/$6,000)
    Rosa suspended 180/180 for possible left wrist fracture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

Overeem is good and all but brock has decent enough stand up to set up a take down and thats all he's goina be looking for, like was said above Verdum made him look bad because of the BJJ threat Brock is a hole different ball game wrestlings what he's best at.
    Simple game plan get it to the ground, even after Cain's loss he was saying why didnt Cain stick to his bread and butter (wrestling) and take him down.

Advertisement