Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gutter with stainless plate

• 20-01-2021 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭

Hi,
    would you mind giving a few opinions on this,
    I had to make a stainless plate for covering an 85mm hole in my secret gutter. because the Japanese rainchain , hangs from a 45mm hole. Basically made a reducer and tec7 it to the gutter, it is watertight and flow properly.

Just a quick question regards longevity. Would it be a good idea to cover the stainless here in a painted epoxy? like the epoxy used for flooring (I have plenty of that stuff)...

I know wrapping stuff in plastic can be a disaster sometimes if a leak happens and water get under a waterproof cover (accelerates rot with wood based materials anyway)

gutter.jpg?raw=1

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭magnethead

Bump.....nobody knows if covering two metals (zinc, stainless) in an epoxy coating at thr bottom of a gutter, is a good idea or not? No material scientists out there? 🀪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

The s/s will outlive you. One small issue could arise depending on how you cut the s/s plate and with what.
    Personally I'd leave it and maybe check it every few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭magnethead

Thanks, used a stainless steel cutting disk on angle grinder to cut the steel 👠the hole in thr middle was cut with a standard hole saw but that area of the plate was covered in tec7 and should not see any water, once the insert dropped into place, thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

magnethead wrote: »
    Thanks, used a stainless steel cutting disk on angle grinder to cut the steel 👠the hole in thr middle was cut with a standard hole saw but that area of the plate was covered in tec7 and should not see any water, once the insert dropped into place, thanks again

Ah sure you're well up on this stuff I see:cool:
    That was the slight concern I had that it wasn't a s/s disc - as a std disc would have introduced a bit of carbon to the cut (and then slight rust would follow)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭landcrzr

Not a chemist but here's my 2 cents.
    Stainless steel is a very reactive when close to other metals. Your zinc gutter may have a shorter lifespan for that reason alone.
    Sealing the stainless might help reduce this effect.

• Advertisement
Advertisement