Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking a year off work to self build

Options
  • 19-01-2021 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭

It seems from a lot of chat on here and elsewhere that there are serious savings to be made if building a house by direct labour rather than going the contractor route.

I've recently given up a permanent position for a year contract, which will run out in early 2022. It occurred to me that if I was to take a year say off work afterwards, the saving to be made from managing a house build would seem to be greater than a typical net, even gross salary?

I've some, but limited, experience with construction - but it seems as if the biggest barrier to self-managing a build is trying to run a career concurrently?

Seems like a good idea? Obvs there are several other things to think about - planning, financing, re-entry to work after etc - but as a thought, how does it sound?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

onrail wrote: »
    It seems from a lot of chat on here and elsewhere that there are serious savings to be made if building a house by direct labour rather than going the contractor route.

I've recently given up a permanent position for a year contract, which will run out in early 2022. It occurred to me that if I was to take a year say off work afterwards, the saving to be made from managing a house build would seem to be greater than a typical net, even gross salary?

I've some, but limited, experience with construction - but it seems as if the biggest barrier to self-managing a build is trying to run a career concurrently?

Seems like a good idea? Obvs there are several other things to think about - planning, financing, re-entry to work after etc - but as a thought, how does it sound?

Borrowing will be your problem as i cant see a bank releasing stage payments to you if your out of work, assuming your income is being used to justify your borrowings. Do not underestimate the work involved thou if you have limited constriction experience particularly in relation to building reg compliance etc

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

I'm currently finishing my second self build..first was a very old cottage..second is new build 2storey.
    I would not agree with taking a year off especially with your limited capacity for this type of work as you have mentioned..also depending on your current job you would be wiser to try and retain the annual wage and stagger days off only as needed and after using up holidays you can take unpaid days if you have an understanding employer..
    In my case I have a lot of basic equipment .including an old excavator and was able to completely finish base for huge wrap around extension on cottage and Marry up new ext floor to exact heights of old front room floors.
    Then a few years later I got planning and built a second base for large 2 storey..
    Problem with taking time off completely is you would need planning ..water..electricity etc all sorted firstly.and then all trades lined up in a row..and trust me this never works out..as bad weather..poor ground conditions etc can easily add 4 or6 months onto the timescale..in my instance I had my own equipment on site and lived 10min away..but even getting filling and ready mix on site meant towing the trucks with my old hymac. Then you'll have issues where a carpenter can't come for a month and the blocklayers and other trades will be at a standstill.. not to mention current and possibly ongoing issues with covid lockdowns and issues getting products into Ireland with Brexit rules..
    Honestly I could easily write a book..
    But without skills and tools you'd be far wiser as I've already mentioned to take days holidays here and there as needed and lots can also b done by phone..
    In both my projects and even with knowledge and a lot of equipment I'd honestly be doing nothing for a lot of days if I got your idea and simply took a full year off regular work..
    Take care and if you want to PM me I'm happy to explain further .and maybe help u avoid some pitfalls

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Given your experience, and my 40 + yers in the game:
    perhaps:
    It seems from a lot of chat on here and elsewhere that there are serious mistakes, some irreparable, to be made if building a house by direct labour rather than going the contractor route.

You will get fleeced, end up with something that may not meet compliance, be leaky, cold and very energy inefficient, and that just the house.
    As the previous poster has posted out, getting DL is not like just going to shop for milk, this situation will continue till the next bust as resources, diminished by the last bust, are chased by an every increasing demand for their services.

Drinking the Kool-Aid springs to mind

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭onrail

Given your experience, and my 40 + yers in the game:
    perhaps:
    It seems from a lot of chat on here and elsewhere that there are serious mistakes, some irreparable, to be made if building a house by direct labour rather than going the contractor route.

You will get fleeced, end up with something that may not meet compliance, be leaky, cold and very energy inefficient, and that just the house.
    As the previous poster has posted out, getting DL is not like just going to shop for milk, this situation will continue till the next bust as resources, diminished by the last bust, are chased by an every increasing demand for their services.

Drinking the Kool-Aid springs to mind

Yeah fair enough. What I hear from friends, going the contractor route doesn't completely avoid risks of substandard work either.

but

I completely take your point on board. It's a serious risk and may not result in the percieved rewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭enricoh

Yeah fair enough. What I hear from friends, going the contractor route doesn't completely avoid risks of substandard work either.

but

I completely take your point on board. It's a serious risk and may not result in the percieved rewards.

Meh, my cousin got a builder that was a disaster, he was long gone as problems occured. Solicitors, engineers reports bla bla waste of time.
    If you could work from home a few days a week that'd be a great help. I knew a good brickie n went with lads he knew for the roof, spark plasterer etc. Will take longer to build, mortgage will take shorter to pay off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

If you did decide to do this, I would be quite interested in following your journey if you were to record it here.. and maybe others could learn from it too..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Anything is possible frankly.

Is it easy no definitely not , not at all.

It can and has broken some people. Financially and mentally.

Again is it possible. Of course, it's down to the individual tbh. Some folks wouldn't even ask the question and just plough on confident they can get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

I’d say your mad to take time off .

Going self build means you can go at your own pace . So why not work it into your work life .

On the other side I don’t think you will save as much as you think . You might not get fleeced as said but you will pay a lot more than trade prices for everything . It all adds up .
    An mistakes sometimes can’t be rectified . Plus poor workmanship is always there and because you did it , it means it will eat at you a 100 times worse than if someone else did it .

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭farmerval

First and probably most importantly, who do you know in the building industry? If you know well or are good friends with one or two good tradesmen it will make a huge difference.
    Literally finding tradesmen you can trust is paramount to success. When you don't know people the odds that when tradesmen are scarce the ones that are available in a boom are most likely not the ones you want.

TP_CM wrote: »
    If you did decide to do this, I would be quite interested in following your journey if you were to record it here.. and maybe others could learn from it too..

I was looking for threads with similar stories but couldn't see much?

• Advertisement

farmerval wrote: »
    First and probably most importantly, who do you know in the building industry? If you know well or are good friends with one or two good tradesmen it will make a huge difference.
    Literally finding tradesmen you can trust is paramount to success. When you don't know people the odds that when tradesmen are scarce the ones that are available in a boom are most likely not the ones you want.

Really good point.

I 'know' a good few locals who are in the various trades, but can't say I'm really close friends with them or anything. I've a few of my extended family in trades, but they're either well retired or living far away. Could be good for advice if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

I built direct labour. I had someone in my family who was experienced and living local who managed all the day to day stuff. I'm a project manager in engineering so between the two of us we managed it. He sorted the stuff on site and kept an eye on things, ordering the basics. I was ordering all the non standard stuff and dealing with the Architect and the paperwork and the ESB and the eircodes and the mortgage,budget payments etc.
    Even with his help it was stressfull enough that I won't be doing it again

If you take a year off, that is a year less earnings you have, plus a year more of expenses to cover. what if the build gets delayed? It happens, Look at the covid situation this year... you are out for longer with more cost and no money coming in

you'll have problems getting a mortgage.

Get a good contractor, who comes recommended and who you can trust and you'll be much better off.

Frogeye

Frogeye wrote: »
    I built direct labour. I had someone in my family who was experienced and living local who managed all the day to day stuff. I'm a project manager in engineering so between the two of us we managed it. He sorted the stuff on site and kept an eye on things, ordering the basics. I was ordering all the non standard stuff and dealing with the Architect and the paperwork and the ESB and the eircodes and the mortgage,budget payments etc.
    Even with his help it was stressfull enough that I won't be doing it again

If you take a year off, that is a year less earnings you have, plus a year more of expenses to cover. what if the build gets delayed? It happens, Look at the covid situation this year... you are out for longer with more cost and no money coming in

you'll have problems getting a mortgage.

Get a good contractor, who comes recommended and who you can trust and you'll be much better off.

Frogeye

Thanks for the feedback - good to hear a first hand account. Would you mind me asking in % terms how much you saved?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

Thanks for the feedback - good to hear a first hand account. Would you mind me asking in % terms how much you saved?

no idea to be honest. I never got it costed by a contractor. Hard to guess at this stage.

If I had my time over, Id reconsider the direct labour route....

Frogeye

Advertisement