Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building workshop on a site

Options
  • 19-01-2021 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Would love some peoples opinions and ideas please.

I need a workshop badly in Dublin to run my business. Warehouse and industrial units are extremely hard to come by and rent is anything from €1500pm upwards.

I'm single mid thirties and also need to start looking at buying my own home too.

There is a site for sale with planning permission for a small house. Could I build a workshop first and later build a house? The workshop needs to be about 1000sq ft. Could I put a wooden structure on the site that wouldn't need planning. Services are available nearby for the site I'm looking at.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,101 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

... Could I put a wooden structure on the site that wouldn't need planning....

no

what its made from has no bearing on whether its exempt from planning or not.

you need a commercial unit, that requires planning permission.
    There is a site for sale with planning permission for a small house. Could I build a workshop first and later build a house?

absolutely you could, once you are granted planning permission.

however getting permission for a commercial unit on a residential site may be tricky, if there is no common precedent for it in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 itsagoodday

Ok thanks so you wouldn't know until you applied for planning permission whether you would get it or not?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,101 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Ok thanks so you wouldn't know until you applied for planning permission whether you would get it or not?

No.

You have to go through process to know for sure.

Even at a preplanning inquiry, the planners are legally barred from giving you a definite yes or no

Advertisement