Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Claiming Tax Relief for E-Working

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

sillysocks wrote: »

Also, my tv and broadband come as a package, so one price in total for both. No idea how I should break those down? 50/50? Or any one else come up against that?

Your provider should be able to give you the breakdown, it should also be in your (probably online) bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Your provider should be able to give you the breakdown, it should also be in your (probably online) bill.

No, this is the line on the online bill, and it’s just one total charge for the full bill amount

“Your bundle includes World Unlimited Talk + Home Phone + Limitless 500Mb + UPC Digital“

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

No, this is the line on the online bill, and it’s just one total charge for the full bill amount

“Your bundle includes World Unlimited Talk + Home Phone + Limitless 500Mb + UPC Digital“

Odd - Our virgin one has a breakdown, give them a call.

Your BB is probably 60-70% of your bill (home phone is normally free or close to it).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Does anyone know if this is like other tax credits than can be claimed back 4 years if someone worked from home before the pandemic? Or is it a new relief in 2020 only?
    The tax relief is specifically for home workign due to the pandemic, so you can't claim for anytime before lockdown eg 2019, 18 etc. but you can claim in 2023, for 2020, if you forgot to claim it this year.

Just put it altogether, believe me the amount will be minimal regardless. Worse case scenario, they audit you and say that you owe them back a tenner. I can't see them disputing it for what will turn out in most cases to be no more than one hours work at minimum wage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Does anyone know if this is like other tax credits than can be claimed back 4 years if someone worked from home before the pandemic? Or is it a new relief in 2020 only?

?

Remote working relief is the new name for the tax relief from the tax year 2020 onwards. The relief existed for years called the e working relief. For 2017, 2018 and 2019 it's claimed via the other expenses option on the tax returns for those years.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/eworking/how-to-claim.aspx

Remote working relief is the new name for the tax relief from the tax year 2020 onwards. The relief existed for years called the e working relief. For 2017, 2018 and 2019 it's claimed via the other expenses option on the tax returns for those years.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/eworking/how-to-claim.aspx

Great, thank you! A few years worth might make the claims a bit more worthwhile to make. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Great, thank you! A few years worth might make the claims a bit more worthwhile to make. Thanks.

Just to note a letter from your employer may be requested to confirm you were an E-Worker in those years.

Another question on this tax relief. I am jointly assessed with my husband. I work part time (every day from home 5 days a week), and he works full time but less days from home. I pay 20% on my income because it is low and he would be on 40%.

If we claim the relief will it go off the higher of our tax rates, or does that depend on who claims it? Just wondering if it’s worth working out who WFH more vs the 20/40% tax or if it’ll automatically be worked out by revenue and applied to whichever person it’s better for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Another question on this tax relief. I am jointly assessed with my husband. I work part time (every day from home 5 days a week), and he works full time but less days from home. I pay 20% on my income because it is low and he would be on 40%.

If we claim the relief will it go off the higher of our tax rates, or does that depend on who claims it? Just wondering if it’s worth working out who WFH more vs the 20/40% tax or if it’ll automatically be worked out by revenue and applied to whichever person it’s better for?

You are jointly assessed so ultimately makes no difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Quick question my landline and broadband is 45 euro per month and currently pay 40 as I am on a discount. My bill doesn't split the bundle out it just Vodafone Home PTSN Bundle.

Now broadband is approx. 30 and landline 10 if I was to do the split as I vaguely remember it when we did the contract a few years ago.

I assume I shouldn't put the bill at 40 when claiming off Revenue?

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Quick question my landline and broadband is 45 euro per month and currently pay 40 as I am on a discount. My bill doesn't split the bundle out it just Vodafone Home PTSN Bundle.

Now broadband is approx. 30 and landline 10 if I was to do the split as I vaguely remember it when we did the contract a few years ago.

I assume I shouldn't put the bill at 40 when claiming off Revenue?

I had the same issue, the info from Revenue website for this is below and basically just says if you split it “reasonably” that’s alright.

“Your broadband may be provided as part of a bundle, for example, television, phone, broadband. Where a breakdown:

is provided by your supplier, you can claim 30% of this amount (Apportioned based on the number of days worked at home over the year.)

is not provided by your supplier, Revenue is willing to accept a reasonable apportionment of the cost of the bundle cost as your broadband cost. You can claim 30% of this amount. (Apportioned based on the number of days worked at home over the year.)“

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,538 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Virgin charge all of €3 for phone on top of the BB price on their bundles - I would consider that the reasonable apportionment even though it could be argued the broadband has been discounted in some proportion for it.

Advertisement