Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless ear phones for running

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

event wrote: »
    How long have you gotten from them?

On a full charge I got 4hrs 10mins. However that was split over 3 days. I presume that makes a bit of a difference, but it shouldn't make that much of a difference though, right?

Tuesday I used them for 1hr 21mins, Thursday for 1hr 34mins and they died on Saturday about 1hr 15mins into a run.

What I'm quite surprised about is that Aftershockz are saying that for the 8hrs battery life, the headphones should be used at 68% volume, indoors and in a temperature of 25deg. That's a bit unrealistic. Don't need 8hrs of battery life anyway, would be happy with 6. 4 is ridiculous for the guts of 200eur tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Reg'stoy wrote: »

The gas thing is, I'm probably going to go through 3 or 4 pairs of runners this year doing the Ray Darcy Marathon Challenge and not bat an eyelid, but I treated picking earphones like getting a root canal. Spending what is decent runner money on earphones, is not crazy as I once thought, but actually logical considering on how much use I will get from them, much more in fact then a pair of runners.

That's true. I spent £220.00 on Beats Pro in Sept 19. Since then I have gone through 3 pairs of Hokas Cliftons at £110.00 a pop and will go through another 2 pair this year.

But I can use the earphones anywhere while travelling or running and they will last me for a good few years I would hope.

I bought these back in around 2015 based on a review in runners mag
    https://www.66audio.com/bts-bluetooth-sports-headphones
    (there is an updated version of them here for $60 - https://www.66audio.com/sport/buy)

I absolutely loved them. Chunky, but were wonderful.
    Eventually upgraded to the Pro Voice version - https://www.66audio.com/pro-voice ($99)
    Still the best bluetooth headphones I've ever used, but never see them recommended anywhere.
    The only downfall for me is the size. They are chunky, so difficult to wear with a hat

But they're very light, the sound is excellent, battery is phenomenal, and comfort is top notch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08JY5GC29/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_BZRYR6W9DTRDT7JBHDKW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

These are decent, little bit bassy and if you keep an eye on them can be got for about €25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Feedback on my new Powerbeats 4 earphones. I've done two runs with them, one connected to my phone and one connected to my Garmin 645 watch.

No problem connecting to my phone, watch or laptop and just placing them within inches of herself's iPad connected it automatically, so any one with an iPhone or Apple laptop will have no problems.

They are as comfortable as I've seen on reviews, they do let in some background sounds so not noise isolating in any way, but I didn't want that. The buttons are very easy to use, one on either side and the 'B' on the right side is used to pause and answer calls etc. One caveat, I noticed that the volume control didn't work with my Garmin watch, which really annoyed me, but a quick google said that with the new firmware update (which I was prompted to download 24hrs later) solved this and it did.

The sound quality is better than any earphones I've had, again the caveat is that I really only had cheap and cheerful earphones up to now. The sound quality wasn't that bad on them, it's just now I realise how much better the Powerbeats are.

One thing that does annoy me is the length of the charging cable, it's tiny (a couple of inches) but loads of Apple cables in the house. This may be a problem for some, but with the battery life being excellent (app on phone tells you to the %) it shouldn't be a reason not to buy them. They claim a quick 5min charge will get you a hours life, which is good to know.

So the €149 question, are they worth the money...well I'm going to have to say ask me in a year or two and see if they survive. They are comfortable and the sound is really good, today's run with just music played from my watch had me singing along and podcasts sounded really good with a 'tennis match' conversation going on in my ears.

As I said in an earlier post, I decided that while cheap and cheerful is grand, I came to realise that spending good runner money (so around €150) really makes sense for a good pair of earphones, I use them more often than runners, dog walks, shopping etc as well as running; so for me they are a good purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 jjoncik

Mifo o5 is good enough. IPX 67 waterproof, 6 hours battery life on 100% volume, in case 100 hours extra. Cost about 90 euros. I see earbuds.ie has on sale now for 80: https://www.earbuds.ie/mifo-05-plus-ireland/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    Feedback on my new Powerbeats 4 earphones. I've done two runs with them, one connected to my phone and one connected to my Garmin 645 watch.

No problem connecting to my phone, watch or laptop and just placing them within inches of herself's iPad connected it automatically, so any one with an iPhone or Apple laptop will have no problems.

They are as comfortable as I've seen on reviews, they do let in some background sounds so not noise isolating in any way, but I didn't want that. The buttons are very easy to use, one on either side and the 'B' on the right side is used to pause and answer calls etc. One caveat, I noticed that the volume control didn't work with my Garmin watch, which really annoyed me, but a quick google said that with the new firmware update (which I was prompted to download 24hrs later) solved this and it did.

The sound quality is better than any earphones I've had, again the caveat is that I really only had cheap and cheerful earphones up to now. The sound quality wasn't that bad on them, it's just now I realise how much better the Powerbeats are.

One thing that does annoy me is the length of the charging cable, it's tiny (a couple of inches) but loads of Apple cables in the house. This may be a problem for some, but with the battery life being excellent (app on phone tells you to the %) it shouldn't be a reason not to buy them. They claim a quick 5min charge will get you a hours life, which is good to know.

So the €149 question, are they worth the money...well I'm going to have to say ask me in a year or two and see if they survive. They are comfortable and the sound is really good, today's run with just music played from my watch had me singing along and podcasts sounded really good with a 'tennis match' conversation going on in my ears.

As I said in an earlier post, I decided that while cheap and cheerful is grand, I came to realise that spending good runner money (so around €150) really makes sense for a good pair of earphones, I use them more often than runners, dog walks, shopping etc as well as running; so for me they are a good purchase.

Thinking of buying these. Which garmin watch are you using as I want to make sure my 645 would have the necessary firmware upgrade to use volume?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

I use the JLab JBuds Air Sport for running. No complaints- good battery life & decent sound. About e60/e70 range.

Down South wrote: »
    Thinking of buying these. Which garmin watch are you using as I want to make sure my 645 would have the necessary firmware upgrade to use volume?

Using a Garmin 645 too, the software update is for the earphones, you'll get the prompt on the beats app and once downloaded volume control is available. The sound quality is really good, but as I said I've only been using cheap and cheerful earphones prior to buying them. They connect automatically to the last device you used them with, so you will have to go into the watch settings to connect to them, if like me they are normally connected to your phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 clemop

So a year later and I'm considering a pair of Powerbeats 4 for use with a Garmin. Are you still happy with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Unknownability

I've had all manners and types of headphones for running and I've recently changed to aftershokz.

Really enjoying them and they've given me an added sense of security as I can also hear everything that goes on around me.

Absolutely, battery life is superb, stick them on charge maybe once a week, lowest they've ever got too is 15%, which is about 2hrs playtime. I use them everyday and I mean everyday, walking the dogs, cutting the grass, walking to and around the shops, and of course running. Have since upgraded to a garmin 745, and no problem connecting them to my watch, laptop or phone, but they do auto connect to the last item you used them with. They are very responsive to button touches, be it answering a phone call, increasing decreasing volume, or skipping tracks . They charge with any apple charging cable, so I keep the original cable (it's tiny) with a spare garmin cable in my sports bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Cathy_22

I purchased Naenka's Runner Pro for cycling. Naenka has both Bluetooth and MP3 modes compared to Shokz's headphones (Shokz generally has only one mode and is slightly more expensive). Cycling generally lasts for several hours, this bone conduction headset will not burden my ears, and his waterproof performance is also very good, I believe it is also good ideal for running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

Would you please consider getting with pads so there is a few cm gap between Bluetooth receiver and the skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 qba73

I've been using aftershokz for a while (running, cycling). I am very happy with quality. I'd say good value for money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement