Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speculation: Trump likely to lift travel ban to IRL, UK, EU and Brazil

Options
  • 19-12-2020 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

I'll be watching Tuesday tightly for this one,

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9069479/UK-government-pushes-lifting-U-S-travel-restrictions-sources.html

There is strong speculation that Trump will issue an executive order to reopen the United States to travellers from Ireland, UK, EU (Schengen) and Brazil. All areas are equally riddled with the virus so why have restrictions which only further the economic hardship and with the mass vaccination underway I think it is perfect timing. Airlines and the travel industry are very important and I will be wheels up to the United States within days of this announcement.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Do you think the UK will actually be on that list ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

smurfjed wrote: »
    Do you think the UK will actually be on that list ?

Looking at what we are seeing today I very much doubt now if Ireland or the UK will have travel restrictions lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Its Trump.....Expect the unexpected.

basill wrote: »
    Its Trump.....Expect the unexpected.

If it isn't lifted before Trump leaves the White House then we can forget about 2021 for entry to the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Why are you considering ireland the same as the UK?

• Advertisement

smurfjed wrote: »
    Why are you considering ireland the same as the UK?

Porous open border between both jurisdictions, unless every back road and bohereen along the border is closed off then there can be no effective contagion control between the UK and IRL, so both the EU and USA will likely lump us in together. The EU had already plans to launch customs checks on Irish goods until the Northern Ireland agreement was created to prevent UK goods entering the single market via the Republic. This is far more serious than a lorry of car parts etc.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

What Trump does at this stage is pretty much irrelevant. Biden is likely to put the US in lockdown when he gets in. 250,000 cases a day and growing in the US!

And with the news coming out of the Uk today, I wouldn’t be surprised if even this Trump rumour doesn’t go ahead now.

theguzman wrote: »
    If it isn't lifted before Trump leaves the White House then we can forget about 2021 for entry to the US.

I wouldn’t expect Biden to keep Ireland locked away any longer than he has to anyway. He seems to have great fondness for the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭Blut2

Looks like this week's UK 'strain' news 48 hours ahead of this planned announcement got it shelved, in very unfortunate timing. The US has now brought in mandatory PCR tests for all passengers from the UK as well:

"All airline passengers arriving in the US from the UK are to be required to test negative for Covid-19 within 72 hours of departure amid concerns about a new coronavirus variant." -- https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55444886

Hopefully if this PCR test stays in place the other travel ban can still be lifted. If everyone is testing negative before departure anyway the travel ban has become even more pointless than it was before.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Yeah, you'd think a logical approach would be to require a negative PCR result to enter + negative test after X days to avoid 2 weeks quarantine if coming from a 'high risk country' would be the best way forward. Not just for the US, but for all countries.

Unless the tests are free it will do nothing to stimulate travel again. PCR tests have effectively killed off low-cost European travel for all but the most determined travellers. €300 for two tests will be the biggest single cost in a holiday. OK if you are a business traveller and the company is paying or if you are going long haul for maybe a month or six weeks and your budget a is a few thousand anyway, I am against mandatory vaccines, testing unless free and nothing should be in the way of freedom to travel the world.

As each week brings some other more outlandish requirement the lads with the tin-foil hats and the Gemma types get proven right.

• Advertisement

As each week brings some other more outlandish requirement the lads with the tin-foil hats and the Gemma types get proven right.

No they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The logical solution is a PCR at -72hour and then a rapid antigen test prior to boarding. The goal is to have a safe aircraft, no one brings in COVID and no one gets it on the aircraft.

People in general cannot be trusted to isolate/quarantine for X days post arrival, so we need to front load the operation.

For business travel, where only a simple day trip or overnight is required the PCR test if timed correctly might cover both flights

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Go back to the COVID forum if you're going to continue with this.

A standard PCR express test is €99 a pop. Yes it’s pricey, but if it means you can travel - I’d say a lot will do it for the sake of a holiday.

No doubt if flights pick up again, and demand for private tests increases, there will be competition = price drops.

Where can you get it for €99? I seen everywhere from €139 to €199, I was supposed to fly into Portugal in early Feb but I'm not in the mood to hand over that much cash for a q-tip up the nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,736 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'll be watching Tuesday tightly for this one,

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9069479/UK-government-pushes-lifting-U-S-travel-restrictions-sources.html

There is strong speculation that Trump will issue an executive order to reopen the United States to travellers from Ireland, UK, EU (Schengen) and Brazil. All areas are equally riddled with the virus so why have restrictions which only further the economic hardship and with the mass vaccination underway I think it is perfect timing. Airlines and the travel industry are very important and I will be wheels up to the United States within days of this announcement.

Your no more going to the United States than I am Santa Claus.

bk wrote: »
    What Trump does at this stage is pretty much irrelevant. Biden is likely to put the US in lockdown when he gets in. 250,000 cases a day and growing in the US!

Wouldn't surprise me if he decides to continue on as is. He needs to hit the ground running and a lockdown is only going to put more people out on the street, cause more business to shut down etc.

listermint wrote: »

Not now Santa, the ban wasn't lifted nor does it look likely to be. I had planned to get down to Florida around the first week of January. That is canned. I had planned to go to Portgual and after to Brazil and that has become less likely due to this PCR requirement.

Is a PCR test a necessity to enter Ireland? I don't see the point of it, it would be more in the Authorities line to firstly enforce mask wearing on planes and start punishing those who refuse to comply harshly. I was a close contact of a Covid+ passenger onboard Ryanair last month. An entire cohort of passengers onboard refusing to wear masks.

listermint wrote: »

Thats a fairly odd post. I've been to the US this year, as have thousands of other Irish people.

The travel ban being lifted would make it easier, but its not like its impossible to do right now. It just involves being out of Europe for 14 days first at the moment.

And also business exemptions possible. As you said - there’s a direct flight to JFK every day of the week.

US Citizens can come and go as they like, a fair amount of elder Irish people would have US passports from the Donnelly Visas etc. back in the 1980's, half my paternal family side are US Citizens today and two thirds of my first cousins are US Citizens for example.

I wouldn’t expect Biden to keep Ireland locked away any longer than he has to anyway. He seems to have great fondness for the country.

People with this silly belief about Biden and Ireland are in for a reality check soon. Biden might have a fondness for Ireland but we will get no special treatment over other countries. He is first and foremost American and the American president, what’s right for America comes first. Expect to see a continuation of trumps push to bring jobs back to the us with Ireland pharma being a big loser.

So all things being equal (in terms of COVID cases in European countries) to think that he will ease restrictions for Irish flights before other countries like uk / de because he has a fondness for Ireland is daft and living in cuckoo land.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Mayo_fan wrote: »
    People with this silly belief about Biden and Ireland are in for a reality check soon. Biden might have a fondness for Ireland but we will get no special treatment over other countries. He is first and foremost American and the American president, what’s right for America comes first. Expect to see a continuation of trumps push to bring jobs back to the us with Ireland pharma being a big loser.

So all things being equal (in terms of COVID cases in European countries) to think that he will ease restrictions for Irish flights before other countries like uk / de because he has a fondness for Ireland is daft and living in cuckoo land.
    Veering OT but US Presidents have been threatening to being jobs home for well over 20 years. US pharma has spend billions investing in Ireland. Its not going anywhere anytime soon.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

tara2k wrote: »
    Wouldn't surprise me if he decides to continue on as is. He needs to hit the ground running and a lockdown is only going to put more people out on the street, cause more business to shut down etc.

I think it depends on what happens with the Senate elections in Georgia and if the Democrats can gain control or not.

With Senate control they can push through a lockdown + support for business closed and people laid off. Frankly the support that the GOP has given to people over there is a joke compared to here and they have the money to easily support a lockdown for a month or two to help slow down spread and give time to the vaccine to spread.

But the above might not be possible without Senate support.

Biden’s advisory council on COVID-19 is definitely made up of public health experts who have been long calling for lockdowns to slow the spread. At least I’d expect a much stronger and more robust Federal response under Biden.

Mayo_fan wrote: »

You might have not fully understand my response to the post I replied to.

any longer than he has to. In response to a post that said if Trump doesn’t lift it then travel to the US in 2021 is off the cards.

My point being, just because trump doesn’t means very little, if the situation calls for the travel ban to be lifted it will be done, regardless of whether it’s done by Jan 20th.

Even if trump lifts it tomorrow, it’ll go back in place day one of Biden’s if the evidence and advice from his covid team suggest it’s necessary.

I’m not sitting here believing Biden has favour for us and he’ll treat us super special.

bk wrote: »
    I think it depends on what happens with the Senate elections in Georgia and if the Democrats can gain control or not.

With Senate control they can push through a lockdown + support for business closed and people laid off. Frankly the support that the GOP has given to people over there is a joke compared to here and they have the money to easily support a lockdown for a month or two to help slow down spread and give time to the vaccine to spread.

But the above might not be possible without Senate support.

Biden’s advisory council on COVID-19 is definitely made up of public health experts who have been long calling for lockdowns to slow the spread. At least I’d expect a much stronger and more robust Federal response under Biden.

The travel ban is an executive order, it doesn't have anything to do with who wins the senate. Its entirely down to the president.

Blut2 wrote: »
    The travel ban is an executive order, it doesn't have anything to do with who wins the senate. Its entirely down to the president.

I know. I was replying to a slightly off topic comment on if Biden might implement some sort of nationwide lockdown + financial support or not. Ideally that would require house and senate support (plus the complexity of individual states doing their own thing).

But you are absolutely correct, the travel ban will be completely under Bidens control.

Obviously the US political system is complex, but I’m surprised anyone would think things will be less restricted under Biden then Trump!

It looks like there will be movement on potentially reopening the USA again as from January 26th the US is implementing obligatory Covid testing for all inbound international passengers.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/travel/airline-news/2021/01/12/covid-test-required-international-passengers-flying-into-us/6640424002/
    The group's goal is to stop the spread of the coronavirus that causes COVID-19 while eliminating current entry restrictions on travelers from Europe, the United Kingdom and Brazil, the group said.
    Reuters are less optimistic however.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-airlines/us-to-require-negative-covid-19-tests-for-international-air-passengers-sources-idUSKBN29H2KD
    U.S. officials do not plan to drop restrictions that were adopted starting in March that ban most non-U.S. citizens who have been in most of Europe, the United Kingdom and Brazil as soon as possible, the sources said. They added that public health officials are sympathetic to the push to lift the restrictions that apply only to a limited number of countries.
    With the current political drama playing out in America at the moment it remains to be seen what will happen, this covid testing requirement should help bring us closer to ending the travel ban surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,209 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Trump signed an order Monday lifting the current restrictions but Biden plans to block it again, so fairly pointless.

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-usa-travel/update-2-biden-to-block-trumps-plan-to-lift-covid-19-european-travel-restrictions-idUSL1N2JU00C

I suppose slim chance Biden excludes Ireland / UK but based on current figures I can't see that happening.

I dont think there is any chance of excluding ireland/uk. There is no basis for doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

It technically never was abolished.

Trump moved early to ban travel from China into the USA, Biden responded by calling him a Xenophobe. Sleepy Joe comes along and add's South Africa to the ban today and lifted a ban on known terror and countries absolutely riddled with Covid like Yemen.

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1240361258957897728?s=20

Trump's move to lift the Travel ban was the correct move and Biden in his infinite hypocrisy comes along last week and lifts the earlier travel ban on travel from known failed-state dictatorships and state sponsors of terrorism: Eritrea, Iran, Kyrgyzstan, Libya, Myanmar, Nigeria, North Korea, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tanzania, Venezuela and Yemen calling it a ban on Muslims, when several of these countries it covered are not even Islamic.

Going on the sort of hypocrisy we have witnessed I wouldn't count on any lifting of this travel ban at all in 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

It technically never was abolished.

Trump moved early to ban travel from China into the USA, Biden responded by calling him a Xenophobe. Sleepy Joe comes along and add's South Africa to the ban today and lifted a ban on known terror and countries absolutely riddled with Covid like Yemen.

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1240361258957897728?s=20

Trump's move to lift the Travel ban was the correct move and Biden in his infinite hypocrisy comes along last week and lifts the earlier travel ban on travel from known failed-state dictatorships and state sponsors of terrorism: Eritrea, Iran, Kyrgyzstan, Libya, Myanmar, Nigeria, North Korea, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tanzania, Venezuela and Yemen calling it a ban on Muslims, when several of these countries it covered are not even Islamic.

Going on the sort of hypocrisy we have witnessed I wouldn't count on any lifting of this travel ban at all in 2021.

Zzzzzzzzzz

I didn't come in here to debate policy or politics.

Advertisement