Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinea pigs

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭apache

Well that's good to hear. I will have more patience.

Any guinea pigs I had were friendly and tame and enjoyed being handled and nursed and petted. How they are sourced and just not taking any that were overly skittish when I saw them. I never had guinea pigs that I had to tame. I had some that were a bit more shy but they were still amenable to being handled.
    Yeah I love watching the interactive relationship btween owner and pet on youtube. I had my pick of 4. I picked the 2 with the nicest markings. Not the wisest choice in hindsight. These are scared stiff of being handled.
    It dosen't help that I live alone and work long hours. They are in silence a lot of the time. They are scared of my voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

apache wrote: »
    Well that's good to hear. I will have more patience.

Some quick videos to help you out, gives a few tips and tricks.

It always takes time with prey animals but a lot can be achieved:)

Progress is very very slow. Hopefully with time I will get results. I'm going to stick with it.

They are taking food out of my hand now so that's deadly.

Notice only one pig ever drinks out of water bottle so I'm a bit worried about the other one. Is it something they learn to do? Would they get enough moisture from their vegetables? Or should I put a bowl of water in as well just in case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Notice only one pig ever drinks out of water bottle so I'm a bit worried about the other one. Is it something they learn to do? Would they get enough moisture from their vegetables? Or should I put a bowl of water in as well just in case?

We do both, a small water bottle and one of the ceramic bowls from the pet store. One of ours loves the water bottle & the other likes the bowl. The bowl is cleaned & changed daily or as needed b/c sometimes they get a few of their ‘raisins’ in it and the water bottle is cleaned & filled as needed. If you put a few grains of rice in the bottle, shake & rinse until clear it will get rid of any algae & salt build up. If you use filtered water it helps too to keep it clean.

I also keep an eye under their chin daily to make sure it stays dry.

The amount of water they get from their veggies & fruit is negligible, but as all mammals, they need access to fresh clean water.

Maybe she drinks so when I'm not looking. It's just when I hear it going, it's the same one drinking. I will probably introduce a bowl tomorrow.

The question I guess I was asking was how do they learn to take to the water bottle?

Not sure, I do know that one of ours bully’s the other one though at times if at the bottle & the one that drinks out of the bowl also licks my hand or arm when on my lap & I had no idea that guinea pig’s did that so obvs I associate it with our dogs as a form of affection.

I have them 4 months now and the Vet said they were bright and healthy so the non drinker must be drinking from the bottle when I don't see. It's the only explanation.

I have them 4 months now and the Vet said they were bright and healthy so the non drinker must be drinking from the bottle when I don't see. It's the only explanation.

That’s good, I’d still put out a wee bowl too or you could use two small bottles to test and make sure it’s is getting the water. Make sure to upload a pic or two in the pets photos so’s we can all say ahhhhhh :)

• Advertisement

em_cat wrote: »
    That’s good, I’d still put out a wee bowl too or you could use two small bottles to test and make sure it’s is getting the water. Make sure to upload a pic or two in the pets photos so’s we can all say ahhhhhh :)
    Yeah I put in a small bowl. Thanks for the advice. I won't be worrying anymore. How on earth do their 'raisins' end up in their water bowl!??? It's happened already. It's unreal the amount of poo they generate.

Uploading a photo is a bit complicated for me. I've tried a few times but with no success.

I think our two girls must have zoomies at night because I only find them in the morning... also ours popcorn a lot and that could be how they are kicked in, I just replace when I see them & usually is nearly empty anyway.

They are about 6 months old now. Wonder if anyone could help me with a question....

Sometimes (I presume when they are in heat) they rumble and strut and one mounts the other. It's always the same one. In between all this there is loads of popcorning as the dominant one chases the other. I'm not too worried about it as they seem to get on well apart from these 'displays'.

What's the reasoning behind this behaviour? Is it just normal playful behaviour? Or just normal dominance?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Hi bumping this in the hope that Apache is reading and might pm me about where you got yout C&C cage, thanks

Or anyone else who has a C&C cage thanks

I got mine at www.candcguineapigcages.co.uk
    Good communication from the seller. Expect delays due to Covid.

Everything has settled down and they get on well.

Edit - link working now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Made our own C&C cage was much cheaper than buying a premade one.

Cube wire shelving from amazon they were a nice bit cheaper at the time. Picked up corriboard in 365plastics in Ashbourne. You can get coriboard in some DIY stores it's often sold as floor protection but only 2mm thick, probably still ok if you don't plan to make a ramp with it. 4mm is recommended signage places may have it to but I didn't try any.

You'll need a few cable ties to.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HVS545L/ref=twister_B07MD81SH1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.365plastics.ie/plastic-sheets/corriboard.html?limit=5&p=2

Advertisement