Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DJI Mini 2 (No Longer Called DJI Mavic Mini 2)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Hypor

I got a DJI Mini 2 for Christmas and it's a great little drone. I'm repeatedly impressed by the quality of the photos and videos.
    As it's under 250g, do I need to register with IAA?

You do unfortunately, even though it's below the 250g, any air device that has a camera needs an iaa license thing, due to the GDPR rules. Only takes 10 mins to get and 5 euro for 2 years... Heard a romour that it's going up to 30 euro on January 31st.
    Don't need to register the drone itself though as that's only needed for the heavy ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Hypor wrote: »
    You do unfortunately, even though it's below the 250g, any air device that has a camera needs an iaa license thing, due to the GDPR rules. Only takes 10 mins to get and 5 euro for 2 years... Heard a romour that it's going up to 30 euro on January 31st.
    Don't need to register the drone itself though as that's only needed for the heavy ones.

Link please to that

iaa.ie/general-aviation/drones/drone-faqs---operator-registration

"1. Do I need to register my drone with the IAA?
    Currently, all drones over 1kg and drones operated above 15m (50ft), must be registered with the IAA. However, on December 31st 2020 the EU drone Regulation comes into effect, which will require all drone operators using any drone over 250grams, or those with a camera or sensor to be registered. By registering with the IAA at this time you will automatically meet the new EU requirements. You can register with the IAA on the MySRS portal"

I don't have link on the 30 euro romour, think it was somewhere on reddit I read that.

Ahh here's the link to the reddit post about it going up to 30 euro, it's very possible that might be additional to obtain the second A2 class license there bringing in for more freedom.

amp.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/kmisxa/psa_anyone_who_got_a_drone_for_christmas_new/

iaa.ie/general-aviation/drones/drone-faqs---operator-registration

"1. Do I need to register my drone with the IAA?
    Currently, all drones over 1kg and drones operated above 15m (50ft), must be registered with the IAA. However, on December 31st 2020 the EU drone Regulation comes into effect, which will require all drone operators using any drone over 250grams, or those with a camera or sensor to be registered. By registering with the IAA at this time you will automatically meet the new EU requirements. You can register with the IAA on the MySRS portal"

I don't have link on the 30 euro romour, think it was somewhere on reddit I read that.

interesting that. so really the 250gm weight limit means nothing now?

ive had a quick read, so am i right in saying that you don't actually register the drone, you just need to register yourself as an operator. does that then cover any drone flying or is there different types of registrations?

• Advertisement

Think 250g is good still in most other countries outside the EU, but ya that new regulation is bollox and makes the whole weight restriction pointless now.
    Ya that's all you need to do, is to register yourself as an operator, once you do that it will give you option to be a class A1/A3 or else pick a Class A2 operator, depending which one suits you.
    A1/A3 is what most people use and that should cover almost all drones.

At the moment you can only pick either option, not both. But looks like they will be letting you get both soon, they also will be bringing in more trainings and more types of operators in the Future... I think there was like 3 coming soon options when I signed up on their portal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Got the Mini2 out for the first few flights this weekend. Very happy with it. I did have an issue with the horizon being off in all photos but i calibrated the gimbal and I think that should be it sorted now. The weather was unreal and I don't think I could have taken a bad photo.

Very easy to fly, range is very good. Got it 2km away from me with no connection issues. Have no doubt it would be fine further away. Had it well out over the sea with no issues also.

Have attached a photo, you can see the horizon is a bit out. Hopefully the calibration has sorted that for next flight.

I think the app has added some adjustments to it. I'm not very good at photo editing so I just let the app do a quick edit.

etxp wrote: »
    Got the Mini2 out for the first few flights this weekend. Very happy with it. I did have an issue with the horizon being off in all photos but i calibrated the gimbal and I think that should be it sorted now. The weather was unreal and I don't think I could have taken a bad photo.

Very easy to fly, range is very good. Got it 2km away from me with no connection issues. Have no doubt it would be fine further away. Had it well out over the sea with no issues also.

Have attached a photo, you can see the horizon is a bit out. Hopefully the calibration has sorted that for next flight.

I think the app has added some adjustments to it. I'm not very good at photo editing so I just let the app do a quick edit.

looks like you had it delivered reasonably quickly

were you hit for any charges re brexit etc?

Seve OB wrote: »
    looks like you had it delivered reasonably quickly

were you hit for any charges re brexit etc?

Yea I ordered it around 11AM on the Friday and delivered by 4pm Tuesday evening. No charges as I ordered from Apple.ie

Should mention droneworksireland too where I got my new drone, was actually one of the cheapest places to get one and ordered staurday as well, just got it today Tuesday. Looking at the tracking, appears DPD didn't get the order till roughly 4pm yesterday.

• Advertisement

Should mention droneworksireland too where I got my new drone, was actually one of the cheapest places to get one and ordered staurday as well, just got it today Tuesday. Looking at the tracking, appears DPD didn't get the order till roughly 4pm yesterday.

They were 607 when I was buying mine. Apple was 588. Good shop if you want to buy local but i went for apple as got a memory card too from memoryC.com for the same as the Drone works price. Do they charge for delivery?

Ya had to pay 8 euro, they sell sd cards there too, decent write read speed.. one I got was 128gb for 32 euro. There was a deal on when I got my mini2 combo deal for 550ish, doesn't come with the battery hub though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Got a mini 2 the other week and now loving this new hobby. It gives an extra reason to get out of the house and do something during the cold weather. I picked it up at camera center at the top of Grafton st. Paid €650 for the full combo kit and also a 64bg card.

This is the only drone I've flown so it's hard for me to compare it to anything else. I wanted to buy an air 2, but I wasn't sure how much I'd like droning and figured that whatever I get could just be sitting on a shelf gathering dust. Thankfully that's not the case. Probably at some stage I'll upgrade, but this thing is so small and inconspicuous that I'd probably still keep this!

Nice!! Looks like you are getting nice and close to the water in spots, did you find any issues when doing that? have read that some people have issues with the sensors getting confused with reflections etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,617 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Seve OB wrote: »
    ah but they are not
    Apple is €588.82
    DJI is €600
    but you can get a 5% discount code from DJI by signing up to their mail
    so that brings it down to €570

Apple don't seem to have these available unless I'm mad ?

Where's the best for flymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

etxp wrote: »
    Nice!! Looks like you are getting nice and close to the water in spots, did you find any issues when doing that? have read that some people have issues with the sensors getting confused with reflections etc.

Early scene is a frozen puddles. I wasn't physically at that spot myself though and it looked very weak ice though the camera, so didn't try land on it, no issues with it though.

Getting close to actual water wasn't problematic at all. I think I was still a few feet above it. Over the open sea a little more to account for small waves. There's a sensor that is supposed to react to low altitude objects. If you wave your hand under the drone it will rise in response. Over water it not something I would want to rely on solely though. In general when you tell the drone to fly at a certain height when conditions are good it doesn't deviate from that height. I've done a good bit of indoor hovering of it to get the feel for it and I felt fairly confident with it flying low. It also build in a little buffer. If you try go below about 2 feet, it will stop and call it a landing.

I have learned of problems with people flying above cloud/fog and having the opposite when they try to descend. Ie, the drone goes up without problem but when descending sees the cloud as a solid and tries to "land". If you are above clouds you're likely up very high, and if you are stuck trying to descend in landing mode then you could be up there for a very long time fighting against the wind chewing up battery in the process. Whereas you might normally think a descent from high up will use very little battery to get back down, the exact opposite can happen and you could end up with you device running out of battery before it gets back.

listermint wrote: »
    Apple don't seem to have these available unless I'm mad ?

Where's the best for flymore

Well went with DJI.ie direct. Hadn't known they shop direct from China. Picked up by courier. Will see how long she takes :)

Well went with DJI.ie direct. Hadn't known they shop direct from China. Picked up by courier. Will see how long she takes :)

That's mad they don't have a distribution centre in Europe. They are out of stock on Apple like you said. Everyone after a drone for lockdown!!

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Mine took less than a week when I ordered the original Mini last April

Tweaky wrote: »
    Mine took less than a week when I ordered the original Mini last April

Just arrived ! DHL express. From mainland China last Thursday to Wicklow today.

That's not bad going in my book . Sitting here watching batteries charging :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭walshtipp

Just arrived ! DHL express. From mainland China last Thursday to Wicklow today.

That's not bad going in my book . Sitting here watching batteries charging :D

Nice! Was there any extra taxes/duties to be paid here?

Advertisement