Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VR training

Options
  • 21-01-2021 10:42am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've been using a Tacx TTS VR trainer most Winters for the past number of years for days that are too crap to get out in, but the PC it is running on is dying and it looks very much like it is not going to be possible to get the software moved onto a new PC. I tried a demo version of Zwift last night and found it pretty horrible, with hundreds of virtual cyclists all milling around the same area, endlessly getting passed and passing in an environment way too busy for my tastes. Planning to try out rouvy and bkool over the next couple of days but wondering are there any other options worth looking at? I actually really like the old TTS off-line software and would prefer something that didn't need an internet connection and require syncing training times with others.

My turbo is also getting on at this stage so thinking of replacing it if I can find a solution that I can get on with. It is currently set up with external speed and cadence sensors to connect to the likes of Zwift, which doesn't work with the older wired tacx smart trainers. Any recommendations also welcome. Was considering splashing out on a Tacx neo but not much point if I can't get on with the accompanying software. I like the idea of rollers, but if I'm honest, very nervous of coming off at a time where I really do not want to end up in A&E :o

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Just saw the RGT thread so will be trying that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭jamesd

Also found a list of contenders on road.cc which are worth investigatin; https://road.cc/content/feature/best-indoor-cycling-turbo-training-apps-255118

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭eeimcaw

Sufferfest is good for offline training.
    Can download workouts or some without race footage are built into the app.
    Alot of the workouts recommend turning off erg mode so can work without smart trainers.
    Gcn workouts on it are good

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Don Juan II

jamesd wrote: »
    Another vote for this.
    Used the free version before Christmas, paid up a couple of weeks ago. Loving it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

I don't own a turbo but I am now the proud owner of a set of Tacx Galaxia rollers which I enjoy using. As the bike is free to move about, and therefore you have to control it like you would out on the road, its more of a realistic sensation of cycling that being stationary in one place on a turbo. Ok, so there's little resistance on mine unless I leave the bike in high gear but it is a great workout nonetheless judging by my heartrate being up in the 150's (I've a normal resting heart rate of 44bpm and so I think I'm fairly fit) and the pool of sweat on the floor tiles after. I was nervous as hell trying them out for the first time but stick it in a doorway/your hallway or even the side passage if you live in a semi d and then you'll have something to lean your shoulder against if you go off kilter. I've had 4 sessions on the rollers now and while I do have the odd lapse of concentration and need the doorframe to save me, I'm getting better all the time and its keeping me fit seeing as how I can't get out on the road due to looking after my kids and lockdown checkpoints. Rollers are also much cheaper than a good turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭casion3

smacl wrote: »
    I've been using a Tacx TTS VR trainer most Winters for the past number of years for days that are too crap to get out in, but the PC it is running on is dying and it looks very much like it is not going to be possible to get the software moved onto a new PC. I tried a demo version of Zwift last night and found it pretty horrible, with hundreds of virtual cyclists all milling around the same area, endlessly getting passed and passing in an environment way too busy for my tastes. Planning to try out rouvy and bkool over the next couple of days but wondering are there any other options worth looking at? I actually really like the old TTS off-line software and would prefer something that didn't need an internet connection and require syncing training times with others.

My turbo is also getting on at this stage so thinking of replacing it if I can find a solution that I can get on with. It is currently set up with external speed and cadence sensors to connect to the likes of Zwift, which doesn't work with the older wired tacx smart trainers. Any recommendations also welcome. Was considering splashing out on a Tacx neo but not much point if I can't get on with the accompanying software. I like the idea of rollers, but if I'm honest, very nervous of coming off at a time where I really do not want to end up in A&E :o

I have just signed up for the sufferfest. I have some of the old videos they did and they were good.

Like you I have one of the older type trainers. Not sure about updating to a smart, they pretty expensive. See how it goes 1st.

Only problem with sufferfest is that they don't have an android app.
    The have an iPhone and Windows only.
    I used phone and Bluetooth for the videos and worked fine.

D13exile wrote: »
    I don't own a turbo but I am now the proud owner of a set of Tacx Galaxia rollers which I enjoy using. As the bike is free to move about, and therefore you have to control it like you would out on the road, its more of a realistic sensation of cycling that being stationary in one place on a turbo. Ok, so there's little resistance on mine unless I leave the bike in high gear but it is a great workout nonetheless judging by my heartrate being up in the 150's (I've a normal resting heart rate of 44bpm and so I think I'm fairly fit) and the pool of sweat on the floor tiles after. I was nervous as hell trying them out for the first time but stick it in a doorway/your hallway or even the side passage if you live in a semi d and then you'll have something to lean your shoulder against if you go off kilter. I've had 4 sessions on the rollers now and while I do have the odd lapse of concentration and need the doorframe to save me, I'm getting better all the time and its keeping me fit seeing as how I can't get out on the road due to looking after my kids and lockdown checkpoints. Rollers are also much cheaper than a good turbo.

I really fancy the idea of rollers but am very nervous of them. Probably shouldn't have watched that video you linked in your last thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

smacl wrote: »
    I really fancy the idea of rollers but am very nervous of them. Probably shouldn't have watched that video you linked in your last thread :D

Watching those youtube videos was a mistake on my part as it made me all to aware of what can go wrong but I did learn what not to do, ie start off in the middle of a room with no support! If I can get the hang of rollers, anyone can. I've lousy balance, could never master a skateboard in my youth and to be honest, I'm surprised I ever managed to learn to ride a bike without stabilisers!!:D. If you start off in a doorway, you can hang onto the door frame to get you going and if you feel you're going off balance, then lean your shoulder against the frame. Honestly you will not fall off the bike as the worst that can happen (and it has happened to me) is that your front wheel goes off the edge of the roller and stops on the ground and therefore the bike stops moving too. Then you just end up leaning on the doorframe and nothing worse will happen to you. Its a great workout as my heart rate does be up in the 150's (I'm almost 52 btw and so that's a good workout for me) and the sweat does be pouring off me.

Managed to get the TTS3 advanced software up and running on a new PC thanks to the unofficial Tacx forum. Great site if like me you're looking to extend the life of older Tacx smart trainers. Got a cheap dedicated mini-PC and a decent monitor which works like a charm. Will try fulgaz, RGT and a few others over the current weeks. Also Golden Cheetah to get the data back out of my TTS system.

• Advertisement
Advertisement