Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flash cards / ODEs - what ya got?!

Options
  • 21-01-2021 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭
    Master of the Universe

As someone who has always seen themselves as an 'original game only' snobby purist (!), I seem to have slowly gone down a dark hole of flash carts/SD/HDD loading over the last decade or so without fully realising what had happened.

If you asked me do I use Everdrives and the like much, I'd have said 'ah I've a few, mostly play original games' but after doing up a list...

Consoles in my collection which have been defiled:

Megadrive - Everdrive
    PCE - Everdrive
    Famicom - Everdrive
    PS2 - HDD loading
    PS3 - HDD Loading
    Saturn - Fenrir SD loading
    Dreamcast - GDEMU SD loading
    Wii - SD/HDD Loading
    PSP - SD loading
    GBA/SP - Flash cart
    GB DMG - Flash cart
    DS - Flash Cart
    Neo Geo MVS - Flash cart

Holdouts which remain pure and still run original games only:

N64
    Snes
    Neo Geo AES
    Atari Jaguar
    Neo Geo Pocket
    Gamecube
    NES
    Gamegear
    OG XBox
    Xbox 360
    Original Playstation
    Xbox One
    Switch

I've been really tempted lately by N64, Snes and Neo Geo Everdrives. What has become of me :(

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Everdrives/Flash readers:

Megadrive
    Famicom
    SNES
    N64
    DS
    3DS
    GBA

Softmodded:

PS2
    Wii
    PSP

Plan to have modded/get an everdrive for:

Saturn
    Dreamcast
    PS1
    Gameboy

Not got my own place and the collection being in my parents attic is really annoying me so I kind of have to go full softmod now. The prices at the moment are getting all kinds of ridiculous now as well and my career choice features lots of hard technical work and **** pay so I've had to pack that in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Oooo got me thinking and looking through photos of 'the room'

"Defiled"
    Atari 2600 - UnoCart
    ZX Spectrum - SMART card
    Commodore 64 - SD2IEC
    Megadrive - Everdrive
    Famicom - CN Everdrive
    Famicom Disk System - FDSStick
    SNES - Super Everdrive v1
    Original Playstation - PSIO
    PS2 - HDD loading
    OG Xbox - HDD loading
    Neo Geo MVS - UniBIOSv4 PICKnMIX with a 161-in-1 multicart <--- maybe not flashy?
    PSP - I think I have one, would be flash stick loading

'Holdouts' (most being, not really arsed+don't play)
    Xbox One
    Xbox360
    PS3
    PS4
    Some random random MSX1

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Everdrives/Flash readers:

Plan to have modded/get an everdrive for:

Saturn
    Dreamcast
    PS1
    Gameboy

Can't recommend the GDEMU and Fenrir boards enough.

GDEMU, apart from having all of the games in one spot, is amazing for eliminating the Dreamcast disc drive motor sound. Was driving me mad playing Shenmue, every time I entered another area it sounded like it was going to grind the console into dust.
    KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Oooo got me thinking and looking through photos of 'the room'

"Defiled"
    Atari 2600 - UnoCart
    ZX Spectrum - SMART card
    Commodore 64 - SD2IEC
    Megadrive - Everdrive
    Famicom - CN Everdrive
    Famicom Disk System - FDSStick
    SNES - Super Everdrive v1
    Original Playstation - PSIO
    PS2 - HDD loading
    OG Xbox - HDD loading
    Neo Geo MVS - UniBIOSv4 PICKnMIX with a 161-in-1 multicart <--- maybe not flashy?
    PSP - I think I have one, would be flash stick loading

'Holdouts' (most being, not really arsed+don't play)
    Xbox One
    Xbox360
    PS3
    PS4
    Some random random MSX1

It's an interesting thing just trying to remember what you have isnt it? Both your lists reminded me of a couple of things I'd forgotten about (DS and OG Xbox) - mad the amount of crap I have in my attic!

How are you finding PSIO? Has the compatibility been good? Really high on my list too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Jayus where to start....

GBA - EZFlash
    GB/GBC - Everdrive
    PSP - CFW and SD card
    PS Vita - CFW and SD card
    SNES - Everdrive
    Megadrive - Everdrive
    Master System - Everdrive
    PC-Engine - Everdrive
    N64 - Everdrive
    NES - Everdrive
    Atari 2600 - Custom ROM loader
    Vectrex - Flash cart

Saturn - Rhea ODE
    Dreamcast - GDEMU ODE (clone)
    Gamecube - GCLoader ODE
    PS2 - modchip + HDD loading
    PS3 - CFW + HDD loading
    XBOX - modchip + HDD loading
    XBOX 360 - modchip + HDD loading

Loading of Goteks, HxC, CFCard readers etc for various home computers.

Next on the list is a Xstation ODE for the Playstation I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Just the R4 cart for the ds and CFW on my 3DS since the eshop is half dead as it is. Thought about putting some sort of CFW on the ps3 and vita but wary of doing anything on devices that were linked to my PSN account that I still use.

I've been thinking of sorting out a solution for native PS2 games. Need to decide should I try and find some sort of IDE to SD convertor to use the adaptor I got for my phat ps2 or get a pi zero and do ethernet sharing on a slim. Which would presumably mean 2 plugs though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Does an Unraid Server count? :o

Truthfully, as cart slots wear out, disc drive motors spin their last spin, and lasers read their last piece of disc....retrogaming will likely have an 'uncomfortable' relationship with flash media as things continue to break/wear out. Yes it's nice to have an original cart freshly plucked from a shelf of carts, ready to play....but when you get down it, playing it from the cart/disc or from flash media really won't affect the gameplay experience in any tangible way (whereby there's no actual compatability issues at hand.)

In another 20 years, flash/removable media will likely be the defacto way to enjoy games on original consoles for most. The only issue with it, and it applies to emulation too, is that you really need to be disciplined in terms of what you put on there. The moment you put on hundreds/thousands of games you'll never play, you've ruined the experience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Loads, many of the above.

I've the following which might be different:
    VecMulti for the Vectrex
    Harmony Cart for the 2600
    Dip switch powered multi cart for the Colecovision
    SD Card loader for the Spectrum.

Something I might pick up is the flash cart for the Pokemon Mini
    https://a2heaven.com/webshop/index.php?rt=product/category&path=77

It's not that cheap, around 100 euro I'd say with shipping, but apparently everything has been translated that was a Japanese exclusive, so there might be some interesting stuff to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I have softmodded Wii, Wii U, original Xbox, PS3, 3DS, Vita and Dsi (which is almost entirely pointless!) Flashcarts for the ds family and Gameboy Micro. Also have Retroleum Smartcard V2, a divmmc and tzxduino for my Spectrums.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I've some tototek SMS , Megadrive and Snes Flash carts ,and old EZ flash II GBA cart (and a newer sd based one) some R4 and ace cards , a chipped Ps1/and softmodded PS2 .The older flash carts a good in that you can only put a few games on them, so it still makes collecting worthwhile but for the really hard to get stuff (cough Slapfight MD) you can still play it on original hardware, the downside is that most of them still need old hardware (like a laptop with a parralel port) to transfer.
    I've also got an old atari 8 bit interface (a really old Sio2pc) as well
    Keep meaning to pick up an NES one at some point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

SD2SNES
    Everdrive 64 v3
    Everdrive N8 Pro
    Everdrive GBA Mini X5
    Everdrive GB X3
    GCLoader

So, I think I like Nintendo... The last two Everdrives arrived this week. The one that gets the most use is the N8 Pro. Loving my NES/Famicom stuff these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Everything set up in this photo is all flash cart, ODE or soft-mod based, and some more not set up.

SNES: SD2SNES Pro
    Mega Drive: MegaSD, Mega Everdrive v2 for the Nomad's
    NES: Everdrive N8 Famicom
    PC Engine SuperGrafx: Super SD System 3
    Saturn: Rhea
    Dreamcast: GDEMU
    N64: Everdrive 64 v2.5
    3DO: USB Host Controller FZ-1
    PlayStation: PSIO
    C64: 1541 Ultimate II
    Game Boy: Everdrive GB
    Game Boy Advance: Everdrive GBA
    Virtual Boy: Flashboy Plus
    Vectrex: VecMulti
    Game Gear: Everdrive GG
    Nintendo DS: Acekard 2i

Softmods: PSP, 3DS, Vita, Wii, Xbox, PS2, PS3, Xbox 360, PS4

And a MiSTer thrown in for good measure. I have an MVS that used to have a NeoSD, but I sold it. Neo Geo on the MiSTer fills that gap. The only things left are the modern accelerators in my A600 and A1200 (Vampire 1200). My Gamecube (I just use Nintendont on the Wii), Master System (use the Mega Drive) and my Neo Geo Pocket Color are the only machines I can think of that haven't got any mods or accessories for loading games other than original retail.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Will be looking for a max solutions well. Disk games insanely hard to find and insanely expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

All the consoles RGB/60Hz modded with usual everdrive, gdemu, CFW, bootmii, modded stuff plus some unusual/classics:

SNES #1: Super Wilcard DX32 with a floppy disk emulator :D So there is an SD card emulating a floppy disk emulating a cart... (The other SNES 1CHIP has the SD2SNES + snes powerpack)

N64 #1: Bung Doctor v64 (other N64 has everdrive v1 & v3 and a 64drive v1 carts)

Game Cube #1: Qoob Pro (the other GC has the GC loader ODE)

Wii #1: WODE
    Wii #2: SunDriver SATA ODE (supports GC Audio streaming). The other Wii's have bootmii etc.

360#1: Xkey ODE with wifi add on for mobile/browser selection
    360#2: Jtag (surprisingly found an unused <2.0.7371 console just a few years ago on adverts for this)

Virtual Boy: Hyperflash32 on preorder :)

Arcade:
    Capcom CPS2 Multi Darksoft
    Sega STV Multi Darksoft
    Naomi2 Netdimm 512MB

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

SNES: Super Everdrive
    Saturn: Fenrir
    3DO: USB Host Controller FZ-1
    C64/Vic20 : SD2IEC
    Vectrex: Multicart 71 in 1
    Nintendo DS: R4 ?
    Gameboy Micro : Cant rem its name.
    Arcade : Pandoras Box :)

Softmods : PS3, PSVita, Wii

That's all i can think of right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Arrr me mateys!

I like to see it as videogame conservation :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,652 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

o1s1n wrote: »
    I like to see it as videogame conservation :D

Aye...also its nice to have immediate access to stuff that does be in storage TBH. Haven't looked on some of the boxes in years. Very handy to have at the fingertips

Off the top of me head from whats currently setup, similar to whats already been mentioned -

SNES/Super NT - SD2SNES in the original, FXPAK Pro in the other
    Megadrive/MegaSG - Mega EverDrive X7/Mega SD
    Supergrafx - SSDS3
    N64 - Everdrive
    Dreamcast - Mode, GDEMU in another one
    Saturn - Mode
    GameCube - GC Loader
    NT Mini - Everdrive N8 Pro
    Gameboys/Advance etc - Everdrive options
    Modded original Xbox
    Usual softmods on PSP, Wii etc
    C64 - built-in Ultimate 64
    Spectrum +2 / Harlequin - DivMMC Future
    Amiga/CD32/Vampire SA - spec'd with WHDLoad libraries, the usual
    MiSTer/Pi4 box - usual setup for quick access etc

Few more in storage, but would need to verify.....certainly a 360 or two, though probably busted nowadays.
    Must look into an option for one of the PS1's, but want to sort out the PS1Digital first, so on the back burner. No real interest with the PS2/3 side of things as the physical stuff I have over the years is readily accessible, but maybe it might be worth having a backup sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Vectrex - VecMulti
    Commodore 64 - 1541 Ultimate II
    Mega Drive - Mega Everdrive
    Super Famicom - Super Everdrive

Soft Modded:
    PS2
    Wii
    PS3
    PS Vita

Would like to mod in the future:
    PS1 with PSIO
    XBOX 360 (I accidently blew the dvd drive back in the day by plugging the power connector in upside down so would like to do one of those HDD mods in the future)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

o1s1n wrote: »
    How are you finding PSIO? Has the compatibility been good? Really high on my list too.
    Tbh, its played whatever I've dropped onto it. Some titles need additional settings via the PSIO menu but thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I don't own any flashcards....no joke.

Been meaning to pick up some for ages now but just never did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Thinking of getting back into the Dreamcast with a DreamPi, possibly a VGA to HDMI converter (don't have the heart for a DCHDMI install) and a GDEMU.

Am I right in saying a GDEMU install is fairly straightforward? Where is best to order one?

Advertisement