Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What loop station??

Options
  • 08-01-2021 1:14pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, any recommendations on loop stations? I'm a electric guitarist looking for a looper for home practise, I had a Boss RC2 a long time ago but it has died after years of non-use.

It seems there are lots of options out there. I have been primarily been looking at Boss, specifically the RC-5 and RC-500. The RC-5 seems like a good one, the price is right(179eur) and it seems the feature set would suit my needs. The RC-500 (269eur) is the next step up, with a second loop track and additional foot switches to make things easier to start/stop tracks and use rhythm/drums. I'm not sure if the RC-500 would be worth it to me, given my simplistic requirements. But at the same time I'd hate to feel limited after a while with the RC-5, given the relatively low cost difference.

Using the rhythms/drums is something that I want to use. I am a decent guitarist, but need to work on my tempo/timing. Other options I have found that are aimed at being a home musician, the Digitech Trio Plus for one:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/digitech_trio_band_creator_trio%2B_trio_plu.htm

A looper, with added bass lines and drums which seem to work much better than I would have thought. The looper on this option is much simpler however, so there is a loss of features. I have read that it can get a bit annoying to use after the novelty wears off.

Really I've gone down a rabbit hole of options and I'm increasingly getting muddled in deciding on the best one.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I have a cheap one from Amazon - they have them under a few brand names, Donner, Lekato, Ammoon.

Really great for practicing at home and only about €40.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Miklos wrote: »
    I have a cheap one from Amazon - they have them under a few brand names, Donner, Lekato, Ammoon.

Really great for practicing at home and only about €40.

Ah cool, which brand did you go for? I have looked at those brands but was unsure what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭DaSchmo

I just picked up a used Boss RC300 for around 300 euro including delivery on Adverts.ie. It's a relatively old design but my God it is an amazing bit of kit. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

I have a tc electronics ditto that i absolutely love.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Cheers guys, I ended up splashing out and getting the RC-500. It's a great bit of kit, and the screen is very handy despite it being absurdly tiny in this day and age. I've only been using it very basically for now, but the drums are great, the looping sounds great and it seems to do the trick. I am actually going down the path of making my own midi foot controller to add some additional foot switches to the mix. Should be good fun.

• Advertisement
Advertisement